Death Race 4-16-2011

GoldenMotor.com

PaulD

Apr 20, 2011
Oregon
I did the same thing to Paul if you watch my helmet cam from the main. I thought I could beat him into the corner then I got there and realized what a big mistake! I got to give it to Paul, I ran the poor guy almost off the track and if it was not for him we both would have went down. I am real sorry Paul that was a judgment error that should not have happened.
No worries, Dave. That's racing. Thanks for doing a great job hosting and organizing, and that helmet cam vid turned out great!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks, just got done drilling it.....will test it tomorrow if I find the time. It was good talking to you guys at DR, be sending you a PM soon.

dnut

I quick fixed my lack of engine power I had at DR....flipped on half choke and its flying once again. Why didn't I think of that on race day??? *bangs head against wall*:-||
Scotto, your engine is running lean which is why it runs better with the choke half way on. Get that main jet drilled for the next race and you'll be flying with your choke off. Send me a PM if you need any help with the process.[/QUOTE]

Just $20 to race.
More details to come soon.
Great, thanks Neil!

Last edited:

PaulD

Apr 20, 2011
Oregon
Congratulations on your win at the Death race!

Are you coming to the SoCal Willow Springs race on June 18th?
Gonna be lots of guys gunning for you lol
Thanks BiMo, I'd like to try to make it to Willow Springs, but its a 10 hour drive from here, and I'm running low on vacation time.
I'll probably end up deciding last minute depending on how busy I am with the day job.

Nice job on the vid, Scott.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks BiMo, I'd like to try to make it to Willow Springs, but its a 10 hour drive from here, and I'm running low on vacation time.
I'll probably end up deciding last minute depending on how busy I am with the day job.

Nice job on the vid, Scott.
Thanks Paul, nicer job on the win....great racing!

dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
yup, goatherder, you're right

any other threads ya wanna stalk so you can keep heckling me? lemme know if i missed one, sometimes i don't read every post...
This is the only thread I can think of?
Mebbe who's heckling who? Gee I feel so bashful now. The poor OP? http://motorbicycling.com/f23/blowbyu-custom-built-wheels-best-best-28357-2.html If the divining rod between truth is heckling then...At some point it may be good to agree to disagree. But still? How do differentiations get their clarity so that folks that want to learn can understand?

I am the big tall brute lumber jack size guy who's bike has to reckon with me. your the ultra light guy.:rolleyes: I know there is intelligent ways to go about it..I was just having fun teasing ya. So my apologies no hard feelings here. Its all in good fun Brodder.(^)

I am not upset about nutton for the record I am thick skinned I guess. Can't bother me. lol.

Id love to see ya peddle next to me and carry my weight for a full eight hours. Mebbe hellova back pack .I can go all day! Especially if misery keeps me company can go all day ''more fun then'' The old saying..

At the end of the day I will even buy you a drink. BTW I don't drink. I park my motored permanently to stay warm in the winter. Been peddling all my life. Peddling has always been my foremost..

Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice.

We will always differ in observations. My bikes are my work trucks with monumental weight in cargo me and good parts brakes etc that reflect that. So I have a perspective on what I think is heavy duty accordingly. Hands on experience. I never made any reference to being a speed demon. But did say you will never beat a Morini.:D You are paper light and have been able to use different materials and have that perspective accordingly. Hands on experience. ''Great recipe for a racer man''!! Yours and my post are all over the forum. lol lol Guess it will keep coming full circle. Snork!

i'm sure if you showed up, you woulda beat me too. you don't need skill (or guts) when you've got a morini.
You still have to hold on to the darn thing and ride it!! Snork..

Yeah that looked like a very fun race! Really wished I could have made it life has its priorities. My hats off to every one that made it and the cams are awesome I must have watched them 6 times each! I downloaded them all like a fun scrap book! Really looking forward to this growing. There is a ton of history and nostalgia in this. Including race talk lol. I am familiar with stock car racing. Talk about full circle. Man one day National T.V. coverage(^)

Scotto would love to know what brand model camera that was? The track looked beautiful in that video!! That electric Paul was riding was very impressive! It takes a lot of skill to go fast and hold on..on a circle track like that.

Really looking forward to Bi dudes water cooled Morini post can't wait to see some youtube footage of that thing on the track!! That thing is going to be friggin awesome! I got wind of another water cooled Morini coming together too!

etard

Apr 9, 2011
Yucaipa, CA
I had a blast at the DR, thanks to all the organizers. I especially liked sharing the track with the Supermotards, those guys really put on a show, and the little guys burning it up, man I woulda liked to see them in the main! It would probably be very humbling for even the Morini's. LOL I was the guy on the red electric duct tape bike that seemed to break something as soon as I started having a good time, oh well. I stayed up all night trying finish that little beast, but never got to test it before coming out to the event. I will be showing up at Willow Springs with a tested steed to make a run at the title there, maybe I should start my diet now, huh Paul?

I just wanted to point out that, even on that small track the field gets spread out pretty quick, so running the whole field at once is a great choice. What do you guys think? Maybe just run heats if only to weed out the guys that are running hazardously slow? This way you can race the guys similar in speed and skill and still have fun at not winning. ;)

And who the heck is they guy on the flat tracker with overalls? He's a legend in his own time!

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My rear tire gained 4* in temp, plus 3psi after each heat race. Did not check for the main but I found that very interesting.

The front, about 3* and only about 1psi gain? I am still confused about that.

And the temp was the same from outside,center to inner.

another vid with music
YouTube - Motorized Bicycle Racing 2011

Last edited:

Crono Blades

Mar 29, 2011
Washington
I enjoyed my time at the race, I just wish that my bike hadn't crapped out on me. I'm still having issues with it. At least I fixed the speed problem though.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My rear tire gained 4* in temp, plus 3psi after each heat race. Did not check for the main but I found that very interesting.

The front, about 3* and only about 1psi gain? I am still confused about that.

And the temp was the same from outside,center to inner.

another vid with music
YouTube - Motorized Bicycle Racing 2011
That is why you want to run dry nitrogen in your tires.

I think my tires gained a little pressure from here...to the race...and back here again. I also noticed a little tread missing......more off the rear tire than the front. My tires stuck well to that track.

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
Thanks to everyone for posting these videos and pictures! It looks like a good time was had by all and I'm very sorry to have missed it, but with the race being at night there was just no way to make the trip back to Kansas in time for work Monday morning.

Hopefully we'll make it out next spring! Until then, keep posting the photos and videos!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'll probably end up deciding last minute depending on how busy I am with the day job. .
I am reserving #1 at Willow Springs just for you as the reigning champion.

That is a long way to go, but I really hope you can make it.

Anyone else want to carpool from Oregon?
http://motorbicycling.com/f35/carpool-socal-race-sat-june-18th-29040.html

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One thing I am seeing a lot more is motorcycle components on our bicycles. Wheels, tires...ect. I am not a big fan of that, it would be nice to keep the bicycles ...all bicycle.

Using motorcycle tires just allows you to run ridiculous amounts of HP. Even if you run tons of HP, using bicycle tires will limit you on the track.

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
hehee,
Dave31 said-
One thing I am seeing a lot more is motorcycle components on our bicycles. Wheels, tires...ect. I am not a big fan of that, it would be nice to keep the bicycles ...all bicycle.
Dave, does that include minicycle motors such as the Morini's? :) I Know I had a huge cornering advantage with my 16" pirelli's (moped tires) & I will not give up my hydro front brake....there is an on going debate at ES regarding the line of whats a bicycle & whats a motorcycle... Talk about weight limits & power restrictions...

I doubt any one stayed away from the DR just because they thought they were uncompetitive. I think the bad economy is killing the play time for most, But if it would mean more guys starting to build for a race then let the definitions start now.
I would love to build a Bike to fit a tighter design criteria.

Here is a poor mans veiw to make the real race specific bikes compete on = ground.

#1)- spec the tires...HookWorms,Inova HW copys, whatever is decided...just so long as they are available in 20" thru 26" sizes.(you get the Jist)

#2) spec the drive train...(much more dificult) china girls are a direct drive manual clutch set up. the direct drive is far inferior to a centrifugal clutch set up when racing. The 1st line to be drawn is a manual clutch over the auto clutch set ups......that puts the variator set ups on the 4-stroke builds into the next faster class

#3) Ellectric bikes are here to stay....I have no idea where to even start that head ache....the technology is just too new to be defined...I was running a 44v set up capable of delivering 19hp at max draw (if only my speed controllers could deliver it for more than 20 min. LOL) PaulD ran a very conservitive 66v set up that peaked at less than 5hp..the advantage af full acceleration between turns 4 & 8 makes a reliable racing e-bike very competitive....with the morini super Bikes. Even the heavyest modded China girls were left WAY behind in the main event.

when all is said & done, i think the no rules has worked well in the past..Its on the participants to self regulate what they bring to the ralley....show bikes, daily cruisers or race track specific. Don't have to fix what isn't broke, but I know I don't get any PM's calling me a cheater, or acusing me of buying the race. I did over hear some one talking about puting a YZ125 engine in frame for next year.....:)

I had a complete blast meeting the gang's form the forum & running the few laps on friday & even fewer on saturday night.... I am even investigating the idea of promoting a bike ralley at my local Kart track if I can find any interest in the Michigan area.

oh & my equipment arived today...Thanks again for the help.