bicycle engine clutch.

GoldenMotor.com

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Hey norm, I have a 80cc slant head with a sbp exhaust and a 16mm Dellorto sha carb. The engine is ridiculously powerful and the clutch slips under wot at certain rpms. Is there an easy way to increase the force on the clutch plate? I was thinking i could cut the spring that pushes the plate out but that wouldn't increase friction by much.

Bombardier

Feb 3, 2010
australia
a customer who lives on a island in the middle of no where ( pacific ocean ) mailed us saying his clutch wore out due to a lot of hills and he said he made a temporary set of clutch blocks from a hard wood they used to make machetes out of called iron wood and he said the iron wood clutch blocks lasted longer than the origional clutch blocks. we tried some from tassie oak but they seemed to carbon up and slip a little but our customer was 120 kg haha . i guess if you need a quick fix hard wood will do for a temporary clutch until you can buy some origionals

whitewidow

Nov 29, 2009
San Jose
I was riding my bike yesterday when the nut/bolt that holds the small gear in place came shooting out of the metal cover that guards the clutch gears. I could not believe that it actually came popping through that metal plate and flew out somewhere along the street. The bike actually ran much smoother with the gear nut missing, but I was scared to ride it like this for an extended period so i pedaled the rest of the way home. My question is can I just replace the nut/bolt and if so where can I find it? Also will I need to replace the plate that now has a hole in it? Will I just need the nut/bolt?

BikeGuyver

Jun 20, 2010
Sacramento, CA
tony: my bevel wheel just broke recently. since it was split in half i just pulled it off... but if yours wont come off you probably need the gear puller. my gear puller came with the kit. although the new wheel I got won't fit :(

Last edited:

MeatCarcass

Aug 24, 2010
New Orleans
I got the Raw 80cc motor. After adusting the clutch, the pin in the middle of the chain gear seems to have pushed itself out and I can no longer get the chaingear plate to sit flush like it used to. How would I adjust that pin so it doesnt poke out so much?

MeatCarcass

Aug 24, 2010
New Orleans
when I first put it together, it wouldnt freewheel when the clutch was disengaged, so I losend the flower nut, that worked, but now the pin is pushed out somehow...

It may have happened from putting the chain on that gear. I had used that tool it came with that has the 2 holes (not the screw tool but the other one) to turn that gear

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
What you have done right now is adjusted the clutch so it will slip all the time.

To get the hand lever to properly release the clutch by clutch adjustment, you first remove all free play from the clutch cable, then squeeze in the clutch lever to release the spring pressure from the clutch pressure plate. Hold the clutch hand lever in the squeezed position with the lever lock pin or a piece of wire, zip-ty, ect. Next you tighten the flower nut with your finger tips until just snug then back off 1/2 to 1 turn. A bit of fine tuning of the flower nut position may be necessary. No 2 clutches are the same.