bicycle engine clutch.

Discussion in '2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits' started by Norman, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jumpa

Jumpa New Member

are you sure you do not have 2 ball bearings in there before the rod? Sounds like there is something else in there. Also make sure the clutch cable is not connected when you put the cover on to eliminate any issues with that then hook it up after

2. Shagasaur

Shagasaur New Member

Ok.. Trying to put the clutch assembly on the clutch shaft and its not going all the way on. Its a new clutch shaft and a old assembly... Is the secret in cooling the assembly and shaft? So frustrating.

3. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Active Member

The clutch slides on without doing anything.
    Is the key way the same?

Manufacturers make the shaft OD and clutch ID in slightly different sizes.

Try the clutch on your Old shaft and measure both of them with a micrometer.

#163 MotorBicycleRacing, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  4. Shagasaur

Shagasaur New Member

Just thought of that myself... Ran outside and slid the clutch on the old shaft, slid on no problem. Compared old and new shafts, its barely noticeable but the old shaft has a bit more taper to the shaft. Hmmm.. I think its time to break out the rotary tool...

5. crassius

crassius Active Member

also check the key width

6. fredric3144

fredric3144 New Member

I have adjusted my clutch , flower nut , cable , etc. and have gotten my bike going again BUT when I first start out leaving my house peddling down slight hill I release clutch it slips , engage peddle to get up speed again release it slips I have to do this about 5 or 6 times then it finally turns over and starts . I have no problems going up hills or any slippage after it has started . with clutch engaged and engine warmed up clutch will try to pull bike but easy to keep it from rolling . My question is if I rough up my clutch plate with sand paper or something will this cure my problem . I could just rough up the plate and try it but if that causes more problems it will be hard to unrough up the plate . Not a large problem when leaving my house as I have the long slight slopped hill but after getting to where I'm going I may or may not have a hill to help and it is a pita to get going . wearing my old a$$ out . Any suggestions please .

7. crassius

crassius Active Member

if the clutch pads are new, they may be slightly diff in thickness - they should even out in a short time

be sure they are loose enough in the slots to go all the way thru and contact the plates on both sides

redo your clutch adjustment often as they run in

last resort, adjust your inner spring tighter

8. Jumpa

Jumpa New Member

you may be hydro locking it...
    try not giving it any gas at first also, make sure you shut off your gas at night or when ever your not using the bike.
    Fred Does your bike have the 15 round or the square clutch pads?

#168 Jumpa, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. fredric3144

fredric3144 New Member

now I have really messed up couldn't get the clutch to engage so tightened up on the flower nut and then something snapped inside now no clutch at all need to figure out how to replace the part the flower nut screws on to . I have and old kit to use for parts

10. fredric3144

fredric3144 New Member

Have decided on a cure gonna buy me a whole new motor for $89.99 on ebay not a kit just motor & clutch assembly only difference is the spark plug is straight up instead of slanted .

11. crassius

crassius Active Member

spark plug straight up - usually means 50cc

this can be disappointing if one is used to a 66cc, or if there are steep hills in the area

clutches can be confusing, but not usually hard to fix

12. fredric3144

fredric3144 New Member

thanks I double checked it is 80cc /66cc I did get the clutch fixed using parts from my first build a 50cc but the clutch parts were all the same . I am up and running again till the next problem LOL .