79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hey Tom, apart from the braces (suspenders?) you got Marlon Brando's 'The Wild One' look pretty much nailed. lol.brnot
Spot on about the hat Pete,
I was searching for a News Boy Cap and they also offered the Brando Cap. Bought both Brando fit and News Boy same sizing was too big which I gave to my fat headed brother in law. Braces Pete? How about galluses?
Tom

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tom, it's that old 'Two nations separated by a common language' thing again.
Galluses? That's a new one on me.
Over here in good old Blighty, they've always been referred to as braces (as in belt and braces, meaning to make doubly sure). I've heard them referred to as suspenders in US movies many a time.
Being a dyed in the wool leg man all my life, suspenders have a whole different meaning to me. But then, here we go again, you'd call those garters, no?
WTH....must be gettin old. Doesn't take much for me to wander off the subject these days does it?!
Being serious though, your Sportsman's looking dapper. Bet it was a kick getting aboard again after winter lay-up. Looked like a nice day for it in the pics. Made me hanker after getting my Indian boardie tribute out of storage - which isn't possible 'cause the unit is presently closed like everywhere else.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Clamps I made for the Indian tool box failed. Likely cause, using too big fasteners in for the limited area of the clamp parameters and also counterboring for the SHCS was the kiss of death. In retrospect smaller fasteners would achieved my goal. What a waste of precious beer drinking time;). Fear not beer was always present and may have affected my judgement. Having a competent person checking my work could have helped, but then I would have had someone else to cast blame on. In the end it was my own Ham-fistedness. So it was suggested some time back that I use worm gear hose clamps.
I Quailed at the thought, but no more.
Tool box is mounted securely. I'll get over it, it's not like I haven't used hose clamps on this Sportsman 80.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Don't know if you can see it but the U shaped pull that draws the lid closed is spring loaded.
At first I didn't know if I liked it. The springs do allow a bit tolerance to mounting hole placement and also keep the lid under constant tension. On our rough secondary roads the tool box produces not rattles.
Tom

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey, I’m looking at your catch can.. if I may suggest switching hose to side nipple and then add a small piece of hose and or a small breather filter. I think the set up know might be blowing oil mist down the side of you baby...?

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hey, I’m looking at your catch can.. if I may suggest switching hose to side nipple and then add a small piece of hose and or a small breather filter. I think the set up know might be blowing oil mist down the side of you baby...?
You are probably right Keith, but this is first year with the catch can, and I am wondering if the cintered bronze breather will not help. Before the catch can there was no restriction. Did anyone ever plumb rocker cover to crankcase? If so what happened?.
Bought a Pyrex measuring cup today to monitor income and out go. A crankcase sight glass is a must have.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Been a while on this thread. Health issues all around. Stopping working at my factory position as a Tool and Die Maker in late April. Has let me get out of physical condition quicker than I would have thought. Wife getting a bone marrow transplant in July. Us old F%$#@s have challenges. That said, I have put miles on my SF80 over the summer. Catch can was receiving more oil than I would expect. Slight digression, and worth note, about air cooled engines.
The manual of my 22hp Kawasaki mower engine oil specs. included 15-40 and 20-50. My mower got the latter. So Quantum leap of logic. Could higher viscosity oil protect my engine and send less oil out the breather?
Empirical data. Catch can has little in it, after the last 10 runs, co- incidentally power is picking up.
9/26/20, Very good ride, engine pulling better and now October is upon us.
If you take the fan shroud off. Use higher Vis oil.
Tom

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I think it was Scotto who ran a breather out of the oil fill on a bike..not sure if there was a can attached or the filter was up real high...I ran one out the breather..the only compete full day of riding this summer and was surprised how much oil maybe 3oz. Tom..where did you get that 1" exhaust clamp.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I think it was Scotto who ran a breather out of the oil fill on a bike..not sure if there was a can attached or the filter was up real high...I ran one out the breather..the only compete full day of riding this summer and was surprised how much oil maybe 3oz. Tom..where did you get that 1" exhaust clamp.
Tom..where did you get that 1" exhaust clamp.
Made it in my machineshop, assuming you are
referring to.
Tom

Attachments