79cc Sportsman Flyer build

Discussion in 'DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)' started by Tom from Rubicon, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon Well-Known Member

Spot on about the hat Pete,
    I was searching for a News Boy Cap and they also offered the Brando Cap. Bought both Brando fit and News Boy same sizing was too big which I gave to my fat headed brother in law. Braces Pete? How about galluses?
    Tom

indian22 and PeteMcP like this.
  2. PeteMcP

PeteMcP Well-Known Member

Tom, it's that old 'Two nations separated by a common language' thing again.
    Galluses? That's a new one on me.
    Over here in good old Blighty, they've always been referred to as braces (as in belt and braces, meaning to make doubly sure). I've heard them referred to as suspenders in US movies many a time.
    Being a dyed in the wool leg man all my life, suspenders have a whole different meaning to me. But then, here we go again, you'd call those garters, no?
    WTH....must be gettin old. Doesn't take much for me to wander off the subject these days does it?!
    Being serious though, your Sportsman's looking dapper. Bet it was a kick getting aboard again after winter lay-up. Looked like a nice day for it in the pics. Made me hanker after getting my Indian boardie tribute out of storage - which isn't possible 'cause the unit is presently closed like everywhere else.

indian22 and Tom from Rubicon like this.
  3. Tom from Rubicon

Being a dyed in the wool leg man all my life, suspenders have a whole different meaning to me. But then, here we go again, you'd call those garters, no?
    ;)
    Had the Sportsman out for a brief run Wednesday Pete, a bit chilly but my Brando hat kept my hair warm.
    Tom

4. Tom from Rubicon

Clamps I made for the Indian tool box failed. Likely cause, using too big fasteners in for the limited area of the clamp parameters and also counterboring for the SHCS was the kiss of death. In retrospect smaller fasteners would achieved my goal. What a waste of precious beer drinking time;). Fear not beer was always present and may have affected my judgement. Having a competent person checking my work could have helped, but then I would have had someone else to cast blame on. In the end it was my own Ham-fistedness. So it was suggested some time back that I use worm gear hose clamps.
    I Quailed at the thought, but no more.
    Tool box is mounted securely. I'll get over it, it's not like I haven't used hose clamps on this Sportsman 80.

Tom

Attached Files:

#144 Tom from Rubicon, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    indian22, FOG and PeteMcP like this.
  5. Tom from Rubicon

Happiness is uploading photos (^)
    Tom

6. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Well-Known Member

Looks nice Tom..the latch is sweet!

7. Tom from Rubicon

Keith, thank-you for the commendation. It works. Dan is a master fabricator . DSCN0963.JPG
    Tom

8. MotoMagz

Yep heys good! Now you have a spot for 2 brewskis ... Great bike !!

9. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

Nice results Tom and I second the opinion about the latch.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon and PeteMcP like this.
  10. Tom from Rubicon

Don't know if you can see it but the U shaped pull that draws the lid closed is spring loaded.
    At first I didn't know if I liked it. The springs do allow a bit tolerance to mounting hole placement and also keep the lid under constant tension. On our rough secondary roads the tool box produces not rattles.
    Tom

indian22 likes this.
  11. MotoMagz

Hey, I’m looking at your catch can.. if I may suggest switching hose to side nipple and then add a small piece of hose and or a small breather filter. I think the set up know might be blowing oil mist down the side of you baby...?

Tom from Rubicon and indian22 like this.
  12. MotoMagz

You could even add the same breather on you gas tank to the top nipple. Easy with the nip. Talk geez

Tom from Rubicon and indian22 like this.
  13. indian22

That's a really nice photo of your Sportsman and tool box complete. The isolated closeups just don't do justice to how nice your bike looks with the new addition.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon likes this.
  14. Tom from Rubicon

You are probably right Keith, but this is first year with the catch can, and I am wondering if the cintered bronze breather will not help. Before the catch can there was no restriction. Did anyone ever plumb rocker cover to crankcase? If so what happened?.
    Bought a Pyrex measuring cup today to monitor income and out go. A crankcase sight glass is a must have.
    Tom

indian22 likes this.
  15. indian22

I'd say the crankcase pressure is much higher than at the rocker housing. It's a breather no?

Rick C.

16. MotoMagz

I know the racer guys have all types of hoses and crankcase venting. No oil on the track!. I don’t know a ton about them. Jeff, Culvert City or Scotto would know and they do have some pictures too.

indian22 likes this.
  17. Tom from Rubicon

Good thought Keith, I'll check with Jeff, Pat should have some valuable input too.
    Tom

indian22 likes this.