79cc Sportsman Flyer build

Discussion in 'DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)' started by Tom from Rubicon, Jun 23, 2016.

1. PeteMcP

PeteMcP Well-Known Member

Ludwig,
    Not sure if it's the same but MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is commonly sold as the go to brand of liquid adhesive used for assembling plastic model kits. I used this for years till I discovered cellulose (lacquer) thinners does the same job just as well and can be purchased in half gallon cans from hardware stores for about the same cost as a small container of MEK from a hobby shop. The odour from either is the same and sufficient to make anyone - unless glue sniffing is your thing - realize that breathing it in, other than sparingly, is not a good idea.

2. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Well-Known Member

In the UK, any large scale use of MEK (MiBK is different, but I don't know how) is followed by the Home Office quite closely. It's something to do with illegal drug manufacture or purification.

3. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

Model glue and tube patch adhesive was pulled from the shelves here long ago in an attempt to stop huffing...

Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  4. Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon Well-Known Member

One of the prettiest girls I ever knew irepairably damaged herself sniffing solvents.
    She could have cleaned my Solar acetylene lamp and inhaled fumes too, kinda multitasking :D.
    I'm getting dizzy from the fuming or is fulminating?
    In the mean time I have to order some #35 Diamond chain.
    Tom

#104 Tom from Rubicon, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    fasteddy and indian22 like this.
  5. Tom from Rubicon

Home from hospital having diner date with Sweetie we had Palestinian Shwarma, Falafel, salad, and the best hummus I ever ate.
    Arriving home the mail box had my #35 Diamond chain so I will make a new chain for the primary drive, and a lot of good it will do me now with is crazy record breaking cold wintery weather.
    I am still kicking around sending AGK my other 79cc engine for the full mod performance package.
    https://affordablegokarts.com/colle...roducts/modified-79cc-predator-engine-stage-2
    Tom

indian22 and fasteddy like this.
  6. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

Winters the time to get that motor work done Tom. I'd think even a mild rework would free up 3+ hp & still be easy to live with. Once valves are controlled the revs are there to work with , while float is pushed past the point of any found horsepower. All these industrial motors are under cammed profile little lift or duration.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon likes this.
  7. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Well-Known Member

Get the parts and do it yourself ? Agk sells most everything.It is easy and was my last winter project. Never did it before and it was very easy with directions. Could save yourself a lot of coin. Could get more inhalants! Or a 212!

8. Tom from Rubicon

Waiting to see what we have left after Medicare and supplemental.
    As Moto says, just getting parts and letting AGK do what they do best is the ideal method. It is on my mind daily.
    Guess it is time to clear the bench (No small task as things have been piling up since I converted a 1868 Vetterli to centerfire ). That was five years ago and the Flyer just compounded the bench load.
    Tom

indian22 and fasteddy like this.