100:1 Mix

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Retmachinist, Jul 24, 2009.

1. KenX

KenX New Member

We didn't have a TV in my early days.

2. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

Let me beat this dead horse a couple times!

Let me open by stating that change is one thing that is very hard for us humans. Running 100:1 Opti-2 in our Happy time/China Girl engines is going to be hard for some people. To me, I tired it to prove that it was O.K. I've had the engine since 2004 and wouldn't be out too much if the engine seized. Heck, how much does a new engine cost?

I've been using Opti2 in all my 2 stroke engines, even the cheap 2 stroke generator that I bought for under $100.00. Smoke and residual oil are less than before. Look on the Internet and see how many landscape gardening, tree trimming, etc. persons have reported using 100:1 Opti-2 for years without any problems.

In my small town, the local ACE Hardware sells a lot of Opti2 to persons who use it everyday at a 100:1 ratio. If it damaged their engines, don't you think it wouldn't sell? They're the ones who use it to support their livelihood.

My guess is that the Happy Time/China Girl gas to oil ratio was developed years ago by the Russians who probably used regular 4 stroke crankcase oil with no additives. It just wasn't available at the time or place. Use more oil and your less likely to have engine problems.

The Chinese copied the Russian design and probably copied the same oil to fuel ratio. If it works why change it. Another possibility of staying with a 16:1 ratio maybe due to the lack of quality oil used by Chinese consumer or most individuals could only afford the cheapest oil that lacked additives for engine protection. The last possibility is to reduce the number of returned engines. If you required people to run the engines with a high oil to fuel mixture, more than likely, they won't have engine problems, other than a fouled plug every once in a while. It is cheaper just to tell the customer to clean the spark plug every one in awhile than having seized engines being returned, especially with a low profit margin.

Import dealers probably stayed with the same oil to fuel ratio as the Chinese. Again, if it works, why change it. Like the Chinese, importers and dealers are less likely going to have a warranty problem and higher consumer satisfaction with a higher oil to fuel ratio. In addition, importers and dealers have a very low profit margin. Of course, over time, spark plugs will foul, head will form carbon deposits and exhaust pipes will get plugged - So what, most of us don't complain about those issues after several thousand miles. We've got our money's worth.

My AMF Roadmaster McCullough engine built in 1978 required 40:1 BIA (Boating Industry Association) certified oil, but in an emergency could use regular 4 stroke oil at a 16:1 ratio. This is listed in the Owner's Manual. The Manual then states: : "At the 16 to 1 ratio, spark plug fouling could occur."

BIA has been superseded by the National Marine Manufactures Association (NMMA). TC-W3 is the current two stroke oil certification program. Do you think the oil certified by BIA in 1978 is the same quality as the TC-w3 oil certified by NMMA? I don't think so.

Here's a quote from NMMA regarding the TC-W3 Certification: " The long term objectives of the two-stroke engine industry have been to reduce emissions which contain burned and unburned oil that have passed through the engine, and to develop a quality of oil that reduces the mixture ratio to fuel while extending the life of the engine. That means significantly reduced emissions to satisfy EPA requirements, less warranty problems, and increased customer satisfaction due to engines lasting longer with less maintenance and overhauls." Seems similar to the Chinese and American importers and dealers - less warranty problems and increased consumer satisfaction.

Interesting how the TC-W3 Certification process works. Oil manufacturer/marketer submits oil for testing, NMMA tests it on engines in a laboratory and then certified to be used on two stroke engines. Is it the oil companies via NMMA and other oil certification associations that set the oil to fuel ratio or the engine manufactures setting their oil to fuel ratio based on results from NMMA and other oil certification associations? According to NMMA, they test at different oil to fuel ratios, as part of the certification process.

All I know is that Opti-2 works and I haven't burnt up my engine - even running it over 25 miles in 100+ degree temperature. I am sure some one on this forum would have complained by now. As long as your fuel/air mixture is correct, I don't think you'll have a problem with Opti-2 at 100:1.

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

3. stinky

stinky New Member

How does this plug look? Lil richer than 100:1, like maybe 97:1 lol.
    I have a 4 position needle in the carb and its set on the second from top
    circlip cutout.

Attached Files:

• plug.jpg
      plug.jpg
      File size:
      652.5 KB
      Views:
  4. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

That plug looks perfect. Don't mess with the carb tuning.

5. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto: It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tom

6. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

nice looking plug there....... ditto: don't change a thing!

map

7. KenX

KenX New Member

I now use Maxima K2 Formula oil. I mix it at the rate I feel comfortable with. To each his own. The improvement in using this product was noticeable. Just a smoother ride without cutting out. Just my experience.

8. Toadmund

Toadmund New Member

Cutting out?
    Doesn't sound like an oil thing.

Does that Maxima contain castor oil?

9. KenX

KenX New Member

It says 100% Ester Based Synthetics. I picked up on the oil from some website. Could have been here just don't remember.

10. sboricic123

sboricic123 Member

I was able to find a dealer not too far from work that carries Opti 2. I'll probably use some of it before I put the bike away for the winter. A 1 litre bottle sold at $21.95 plus taxes. That should last me a while. Can't wait to try it out too to see the difference.

11. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Its good stuff...... you'll like it....!

12. Blakenstein

Blakenstein New Member

OPTI - 2 ???? I use it in my BridgeStone 35cc . This summer, I was pulling my boat with my motorized bicycle and obviously the most heavy load ever that my motor has been under and my motor ( 5 years since May 2013 ) is still running. I run OPTI at 25-30 : 1
    Yep I'm glad that i'm still here to talk about it, cause this summer, i did a 5 day 107 mile trip with my Dagger Mumba kayak , alone !!! From Drayton Valley to Edmonton.
    I almost died twice. Yep, between Devon and Edmonton, the river is big, but almost like a lake. Hardly any current but in Drayton Valley, and for 50 miles, that river is a nightmare...rapids round evry corner. Next year , if i'm still around, i wanna do a Rocky Mountain house to Edmonton twice as far and i hear that the river up there is even worse.!!! ( NorthSaskatchewan River )
    Anyway, back to the topic, and yes i use OPTI 2 and it's great oil,

13. Jumpa

Jumpa New Member

Figures the tractor supply store near my house is the only one without it

14. Toadmund

Toadmund New Member

The only garden store in my city that sells any Opti at all sells Opti4, I asked why no 2?
    I was told they don't carry it because it doesn't sell.

My thoughts are why?
    No one knows about it and how can they try it if they can't buy it?

I got my Dad to pick up a few large ketchup packets of Opti2 in Maine, imagine that, got to go to the USA to get Opti2.

15. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you tried contacting them direct and asking for distributors near you? They're pretty good about knowing where their products are sold. They might also be interested in the dealer who doesn't stock 2 stroke Opti.

Tom

16. sboricic123

sboricic123 Member

On there website they have a list of dealers...you just enter your location and it will give you the closest dealer. You'll see on the left of there home page...locate a dealer
    One of the dealers that was on the list near me did not carry Opti 2 but it showed on there website they do. I emailed Opti and gave them the update and they appreciated it.
    http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165

17. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I called them and found a dealer six blocks from my house that wasn't on their website. It is a tool rental place and they use Opti-2 and 4 in all their rental equipment.

Tom

18. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but below is a link that might better help some of us understand the lubrication issues our little engines face (the very last paragraph possibly contains the most important points in regard to general 2 cycle engine lubrication).

http://smallengineinformation.com/?page_id=654

19. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Very informative read, FM. Thanks for posting it. It actually should be required reading for anyone involved with small engines either 2 or 4 stroke.
    Thanks again.

Tom

20. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

You're more than welcome 2door. It's the least I can do for you and everyone else in here. Like I said earlier, the good people here in the motorbicyling forums saved me from making the mistake of running an inexpensive 2 cycle kit engine without tearing the top-end down first.