• other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, only you guys.......

Cool day! Woke up, fell out of bed. Dragged a comb across my hair....

But got out here just after sunrise. Got the transom window cut and laid out. (lol, took 2 days) Screwed up a cut on a small pc of lexan but second design/try, way cooler and larger. I was being cheap and it was gonna be smaller then it is now.

Between coats of stain, got up 2 more end caps and one side of the fourth and final. PITB, big time. Looks really good. You were right TJ. The natural contrasts really well. Sun went down before I could get pics.

Forgive me but forget who recommended Lexan but man it is the shizit! I messed around with a scrap pc.. I drove a nail threw it with out a pilot hole and did a partial cut with a circular saw. Not a crack or break and is pretty cold. Was shocked. Well worth the little bit extra it costs.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lol Dan.
gotta keep dem varmints away....
lexan is tough stuff.
so things are still moving along with the shop,thats a good thing.
my lil garage project is stalled.at least the garage door opener is up,wifie is parking inside faithfully.no snow to brush off and no frosty windows to scrape.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man GN. Meant to go back and look but eat and fell asleep. LOL, getting on, don'tcha know.

Really am amazed at that stuff. Can't get much easier to work with, the shatter prof and UV resistant.

To funny. I tried to score & snap it. It just went back to st8 like "That the best you got?"

But any way, thanks big time for the heads up. Really works great.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Looks good, Dan.

May I suggest, (and I should have earlier), some chicken wire, underneath your rim joist to keep cats, and maybe even skunks and coons, from hangin' out underneath your shoppe....
they seem to like a dry spot
and U won't like it
Best
rc

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Poly carbonate (Lexan) is great stuff. Though it really susceptible to crazing and scratching. My airplane windscreen is poly. Best cleaned with pledge and 100% cotton cloth. Always rub in one direction up and down or side to side. Never in a circular pattern. It doesn't like ammonia or solvents. All of these things not to do, I have done........:D

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i thought a transom was something you hung a boat motor on-at the back of the boat.
i dont think that shed's gonna float too well,Dan.if it does,the motor is gonna be way too far outta de water....

lookin good,Dan.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Looks good, Dan.

May I suggest, (and I should have earlier), some chicken wire, underneath your rim joist to keep cats, and maybe even skunks and coons, from hangin' out underneath your shoppe....
they seem to like a dry spot
and U won't like it
Best
rc
Was thinking about that RC. I am putting used cig buts around the base-plates to keep the mice away but kinda wanted to let critters nest below. (LOL, I know, freakin' hippie)

Learned this here but our southern brethren call "chicken wire" "hardware wire" I lived down south and had never heard it called that. OT, just kinda struck me.

Poly carbonate (Lexan) is great stuff. Though it really susceptible to crazing and scratching. My airplane windscreen is poly. Best cleaned with pledge and 100% cotton cloth. Always rub in one direction up and down or side to side. Never in a circular pattern. It doesn't like ammonia or solvents. All of these things not to do, I have done........:D
Cool, thanks Ilikea.

I did mess up and some of the nails behind the hard wood trim are tighter then the rest and gave it some waves in certin lights.

i thought a transom was something you hung a boat motor on-at the back of the boat.
i dont think that shed's gonna float too well,Dan.if it does,the motor is gonna be way too far outta de water....

lookin good,Dan.
Ya got me wondering TJ. Has to be some coloration.

In 1900's and before, a transom window was above a door in a large building to allow airflow and light. Kinda the opposite of a transom on a boat.

BarleyAwake prolly can tell us off the top of his head.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
as far as critters go,need to attract a woodchuck,they seem to keep the skunks away.
occasionally when i was working out near the shop,the chuck would seem to take interest in what i was doing.would come within 6 feet of me.would park there and watch me for an hour.do

transom type windows actually make for great ventilation,my friend ordered the windows with the transoms,i couldnt believe the air movement.no need for air conditioning in that house.

on my trip to ST.Thomas last winter,we toured an old house.built from ship parts and pieces.
the windows were tall and narrow,with the transoms,for ventilation.
the air really moved through that building.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
as far as critters go,need to attract a woodchuck,they seem to keep the skunks away.
occasionally when i was working out near the shop,the chuck would seem to take interest in what i was doing.would come within 6 feet of me.would park there and watch me for an hour.do

transom type windows actually make for great ventilation,my friend ordered the windows with the transoms,i couldnt believe the air movement.no need for air conditioning in that house.

on my trip to ST.Thomas last winter,we toured an old house.built from ship parts and pieces.
LOL TJ, we have a woodchuck who has lived under another shed in the yard for I dunno how long. The shed was built to out last us all but the family wanted him gone so they filled the space underneath with rocks and dirt. The critter now known as "Chuck" then dug a hole in and had an eisley defended space. The rocks and dirt allowed the cedar walls to mold.

Is amazing how well the old world stuff worked. A big goal here is exploring just that.

Here you go Dan, most I've seen had swivel pins on the side with a rope attached to tie it off to keep it in the desired position.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DoorEsplanadeDec071260.jpg

Man that looks cool Greg.

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=447352&postcount=486

Now I wanna paint a big toothy grin on the doors under the transom like the window is a pair of spectacles.

wut?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got a call on Friday. The precise machining course has a spot open for classes starting in February. Now there is a problem with the education grant. Not a done deal either way but the first hurtle down is still one less.

Both the school and the Fed guy/folks have been awesome. Think they get a bonus or some thing if I get edumacated. (Kidding, just great folks)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
onwards and upwards.
hope this works out for you.

got a little work done in my garage today,finally insulated ,poly'd and sheeted the wall where i made the opening bigger for the new overhead door.
it was really chilly,even with 3800 watts of heater running.
got better as it was closed up.seals around door this week,that 20 mph wind was blasting in.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

Had a woodchuck living under the front steps of our shop. In the summer when the door was open, it would often wander in look around at us and after 5-10 min wander back out.(guess he didn't find us interesting).

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
onwards and upwards.
hope this works out for you.

got a little work done in my garage today,finally insulated ,poly'd and sheeted the wall where i made the opening bigger for the new overhead door.
it was really chilly,even with 3800 watts of heater running.
got better as it was closed up.seals around door this week,that 20 mph wind was blasting in.
Thanks TJ!

Post some pics of your work? (Getting pretty dang board lookin' at my attempts, lol)

Had a woodchuck living under the front steps of our shop. In the summer when the door was open, it would often wander in look around at us and after 5-10 min wander back out.(guess he didn't find us interesting).
Just "Wood Chuck" for howdy. They are such funny critters. Social and curious. Once they know ya don't want to eat or bother em, they seem to just want to hang out like neighbors.

I don't get why folks try to get rid of them or squirrels. Goofy, happy go lucky varmints who are hysterical to watch.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thanks TJ!

Post some pics of your work? (Getting pretty dang board lookin' at my attempts, lol)

Just "Wood Chuck" for howdy. They are such funny critters. Social and curious. Once they know ya don't want to eat or bother em, they seem to just want to hang out like neighbors.

I don't get why folks try to get rid of them or squirrels. Goofy, happy go lucky varmints who are hysterical to watch.
Once you have a cow or horse break a leg in a chuck hole you lose your fondness for them.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not a lot of those in my suburban back yard. So, guess we have been spared that unpleasantry.

Still fond of the other critters in the back yard as well.