Why buy an electric bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
motorbiker who has the bosch stystems for sale? my next bike is gonna be electric so i am trying to learn all i can. thank you
I think they are only selling them to companies that make electric bicycles.

For now anyway ?

I like the German stuff. I have Heinzmann hub motors. Good stuff.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Why would anyone buy an electric bicycle for $1,500-2000 when they could buy a nice store bought gas powered bicycle for around $600 or 700? Or if they felt so inclined they could spend $1,500 and get a really great gas powered bicycle.

Legal issues? That's the only reason I can think of.
I ask this question 3 years ago. In about a month when mine gets here, I'm going to answer this question.

Fonzz

Oct 8, 2011
Cali
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences, should be like the other members with nice electric set ups. :)

I also hope to have an electric bicycle someday myself. I can't afford any type at all right now, plus, I'm hoping prices will drop at least moderately in the future.

I once purchased a little 15" flat screen TV, 4:3 too, not even 16x9 widescreen, nor HD, for my kitchen, about 12? years ago.
Today, those same dollars (lots) could give me a nice big selection of 50 to 60" HD models to choose from, sigh.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I found that building my electric bike was a bit easier than the gas build, but that was because my gas build required some frame work to get right. And the gas build took a lot of tuning to get running well, whereas I did more research before building my electric so I had a better idea of what I needed to get before pulling the trigger.

My only issue with my ebike over a gas bike would be range. But since all of my bicycle trips are in and around the neighborhood, I specced the battery to get me at least twice the range I would need for a "long" trip, which is 5 miles round trip. I tend to only put about 10 miles per week on my bike since the usual trips are 2-3 miles round trip so only charge once a week.

If my rides were longer, I would have to find a way to pack on more batteries and would likely suffer range anxiety, so would probably have stuck with gas. But for my needs, I am loving my electric. Quiet, reliable, and powerful.

After I build my wife an electric, I will probably tackle a gas build that requires welding since 1) I want to learn to weld and 2) I have been wanting to build a 212cc Preddy powered 4 wheeled buggy for a while now :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Absolutely possible...
Mine can do 30mph+ (but currently "governed" to do 20), has a 100+ mile range and weighs in around the 100lbs. (Most of the weight is the BIKE and not the batteries).
Trust me, any more than 35 miles at any one time, is just not that much fun on your butt.

FYI.. I just hit the 20,000 mile mark yesterday on my bike... In just under 18mo.
I owe SANGESF an apology. It's probably a little too late now, because he hasn't been active since 2012, but I apologize for giving you such a hard time about your electric bicycle claims.

I doubted what SANGESF was claiming was possible back in 2010, but now my ebike is capable of even more than he claimed. I'm eating a big plate of crow pie now.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
ummm I love crow pie lol. electric motorized bicycles have came a long way in the last few years and it is only just beginning.
dnut

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Why would anyone buy an electric bicycle for $1,500-2000 when they could buy a nice store bought gas powered bicycle for around $600 or 700? Or if they felt so inclined they could spend $1,500 and get a really great gas powered bicycle.

Legal issues? That's the only reason I can think of.
It only took you 4 years to come around Biknut! LOL

Last edited:

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Theon, I do like motorized bikes too. I love the mechanical aspect of a IC engine. I just can't ride them on the trails and my speed would be limited on the road. Batteries are the biggest expense. But if you buy the good batteries from the get go, I don't see you replacing batteries for at least 8 years. And that is with daily use. It does take some good bms or care on your end for them to last that long though. The other key is, to always buy more battery that you think you'll need. Think about the capacity reduction as the year passes.
I was most impressed when riding one of the Houston Critical masses, a dude was going 27-30mph with a motorized bike and his girlfriend in a side car.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
For me it's the reliability factor that comes into play. With my electric bikes, I don't have to check for loose bolts and when I'm cruising around, the last thing I want to do is repair my bike on the side of the road.
Also like Snellemin said, I get to ride on any trail or walking path without disturbing anyone.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Yep, as I just posted in the other thread, I'm jelous.
But my experience with batteries is that they don't last as long as you hoped and the reduction in capacity over time is a very big issue.
My previous property was in a place where mains power was not availiable,
I managed to get 10 years out of $8000 worth of Lead Acid batteries.
You add that to your Mortgage and it works out to $20K for ten years, if your careful/Skimp.
Other friends had larger battery banks than I.
In the end My batteries were not meeting my needs, however I couldn't justify the money to replace and was having to run a generator regularly and skimp on power use.
I now don't have to run a generator, get to use as much power as I want when I want, and don't spend $2000 a year on electricity.
So yeah I'm a bit over batteries.
I made an electric Trike for the Kids, but it's a lot easier to put a bit more fuel in an IC powered vehicle than it is to push the thing back to the house.
A second battery bank will be part of the next one.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just stumbled across another advantage to electric bicycles. I attended a bicycle ride today. I had the only electric, but no one cared. This group of bicyclers weren't spandex types, they were a more casual mix of inner city dwellers some were from the burbs like myself. The ride started at an inner city location, and was about 11 miles to another inner city location.

What I found interesting was many of them rode their bikes on the train to either get there, or get home. You can take your electric bike on the train too, and there's no extra cost. There was a train station close to the final destination, probably planed that way.

They don't allow gas bikes on the train.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Does sound like fun in Dallas...
I've taken bicycles on the front of the bus... and even brought it inside once when the rack was maxed... college town, the mostly college kid busriders didn't care in the least.
No gasbikes on the bus, of course...
I've got a small razor I'd like to put on a bike, but it doesn't have much power...
Maybe some sort of mod would help it out a little.
rc

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
There are trails in Florida that go for miles and miles way out in the woods and an electric bike or trike is a good way to explore them.
We were on a trail and everyone was walking their bikes through the sugar sand except my wife Nancy.

Her electric trike went right through it ! :)

We got some good cameras and are going to take pictures of our off road adventures. :)

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
.duh.
There are trails in Florida that go for miles and miles way out in the woods and an electric bike or trike is a good way to explore them.
We were on a trail and everyone was walking their bikes through the sugar sand except my wife Nancy.

Her electric trike went right through it ! :)

We got some good cameras and are going to take pictures of our off road adventures. :)
Thanks, I like to see them.

Based on what I've read on this forum it sounds like Florida is a lot more friendly to ebikes than gas bikes.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Some people are not friendly when I use the right side of the lane to ride the electric trike to the store. :)

(legal in Florida)

I get called names sometimes ! :)

Never been called names on the trails. :)

Sometimes we ride for hours off road and don't see another person. :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Some people are not friendly when I use the right side of the lane to ride the electric trike to the store. :)

(legal in Florida)

I get called names sometimes ! :)

Never been called names on the trails. :)

Sometimes we ride for hours off road and don't see another person. :)
Are they building multi use paved bike trails all over Florida like here in Dallas?