what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Skarrd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Went to go out for a ride yesterday & noticed my rims & spokes were filthy, so I grabbed a rag for a quick polish. Discovered several spokes loose on the front rim. Back rim was okay though, you might think it'd be the other way around with a rag joint mounted sprocket. Fixed it & took off.

Took it out & about in town, must have driven 20 miles or more. Got within 2 blocks of home when motor stalled out going round the corner, refused to turn over after that. Pedaled home. Yanked the plug, still won't turn over, motor locked up tight. I hope it didn't eat the wrist pin bearing or spit out the G clip, I don't want to have to buy a new jug & piston assembly. It was running great too, only a mild vibration at top end after replacing the titanium pin with the original stainless pin. (Retarding the ignition with a Rocket Key did more to soothe the vibes on my Super Rat than the pin swap, no one makes a recurved ignition CDI for the 1-piece magneto/coil like the Lightning or Jaguar CDI).

Pedaling a hundred Lb. bike 2 blocks left me winded & too tired to want to work on it right then, so I parked it, intending to try again today. But now the wife has a couple projects for me to do, fix the wash machine & mother's leaky garbage disposal. Maybe later...

2. Moto pope

Moto pope New Member

Ordered, and received a wheel set, front with a drum brake to replace the "less than effective" band brake I had on. This required removal of fork and all associated parts, which I've been waiting to do anyway. I welded a boss on fork to keep drum where it's supposed to be. Repainted fork, added new brake lever, twist throttle unit,and grips. I am reworking my front fender for a more 1900's look, so, while I had it off I put a set of board track bars on and tooled around town, just for fun. Got some really curious looks, which is always fun. I spent today replacing my tiller bars so I can sit up right to save my back. Fun fun fun!

3. Munchiesgalore

Munchiesgalore New Member

4. Munchiesgalore

5. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

That is a serious fabrication job to put an engine like that on a bike, not to mention that is a liquid cooled engine and will require a proper radiator, hope you plan to be using a well built high end bike If you ever attempt that one.

One another note.... dang bro you better get a rear brake hooked up on that bike....! you are riding dangerously for sure, and why are the side covers removed from your engine.. dont get a pant leg caught or thats another possible face plant...!

Ride safe and get a good rear brake on that thing....

Map

6. Munchiesgalore

I'm hoping to use this type of bike.

http://youtu.be/JISkBOg0OHc

7. Munchiesgalore

i dont like the side covers, i love seeing the mechanics of the engine or should i say clutch and magneto, oh i know about the brakes. im waiting till i can afford some new parts for it. i still got my front brake and it works just as well.

8. Munchiesgalore

in my opinion i think we should be turning the members on to these morini engines. they have been a proven reliable engine for years now. ktm, husquvarna, and even Harley Davidson used these engines.

9. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

10. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

many here have known about them and some have been running them for several years, personally I like the inexpensive china girls on my bikes, easy to tinker with and very inexpensive, most people dont have the money for the morini engines or the tools and ability to set them up on a bike, I have a Roketa 150cc scooter that I paid less for than what those Morini engines cost, I do like them and I know they are good, but the majority of the people on the forum or the majority of the ones that find it and want to build a bike up are looking at inexpensive, I have two Motorcycles for when I want to really get serious including the Scooter for a fun 60mph ride, but I enjoy my motorized bikes probably the most and it is just a fun hobby for me that I can continue because the HT ( Happy Time ) engines are cheap and easy to set up, they can be very dependable if built right also.

Map

11. Munchiesgalore

yeah, i understand what you mean. im in the same position as many people on the site are, low cost is my friend but i just thought it would be a good idea.

12. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Oh yeah you're right it would make an excellent ride no doubt and Im not knocking it at all, I could pull the funds together and do a build like that but I just choose to enjoy the little china girl engines, I have loads of tools and Im pretty handy with them, but I like having an inexpensive hobby that already. Ost me more than I should be spending......... if the wife only knew.....lol

She already says she thinks I would go nuts if I didnt get a new gift as she calls it in the mail almost everyday.......lol!

Maybe some day you'll get it all together and build yourself abike like that..... if so I hope I get to see it.

Map
    .wee.

13. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Are the Morini's back in production?
    I went to morinifrancousa dot com and it does not look so.
    Am I missing something here?
    I see DeNardis is still around... Those engines are wicked!

14. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

15. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

I have just came into the possession of a 1929 Briggs & Stratton 2hp horizontal shaft engine.....with the original kick starter!! It does have compression and will run when 'boosted' with a squirt of WD-40. It looks exactly like the pict (though it's not this one.....didn't have my camera at the time). Left it at my Dad's for the time being.

Starting to think expensive thoughts.............LOL

[​IMG]

16. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

OUTSTANDING SCORE!
    You lucky so and so....

I rode My Pig for a good five hours today.
    Dogwoods are in bloom!
    [​IMG]
    My Pig is running sweet! (U of Memphis tiger statue, one of a bunch around the campus and town)
    [​IMG]
    And I got the OCC chain and freewheel rebuilt so it rides again!
    Had to bust off the freewheel and tear it down completely. It unscrewed while trying to break it loose! Working like new again!
    [​IMG]

17. Munchiesgalore

18. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Most clones are subject to subtle differences, retailers often source clones from multiple manufacturers, pictures & product received may not be the same, nor is it inherent that all cloned products are of inferior quality.

[​IMG]
    http://www.denardisengines.com/50cc.html

DBA;
    Labelle Off Road Motorsports Llc

Supplier;
    Wuyi Shineng Bike Industry Co., Ltd.
    Address: Wangshantou Industry Area, Quanxi Town, Wuyi, Jinhua, Zhejiang, China
    City: Jinhua
    Province/State: Zhejiang
    Country/Region: China (Mainland)
    Telephone: 86-579-89095988

Bottom line? I like the idea of the KTM50 clones, I'd like to see more 50cc builds and consumer awareness isn't a bad thing, it contributes to a more competitive market ;)

#7078 BarelyAWake, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  19. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

Just finished adjusting the rear cones ------ again!! Cones...............sudden flashback to a Madonna concert in 1985.

20. Cruise

Cruise New Member

^ If you're doing them so much, I guess they're in vogue.