Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Wayne Z. If thats the case ill do away with it.

Rustycase, the motor was 2 hours drive away in the middle of no-where.

I wish the engine was that old, that would be cool, but i think its a 1950 model. And i think i better start a seperate thread for it as ill need a lot of advice to get this going.

I can get WD40 style sprays from work for free, would diesel work better then that, or is diesel just more economical?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh Harry!
Two hours away is not bad at all to gather up a gem like that BSA ! GREAT!

...and I was also thinking, it might be best for you to fab up an engine mount to hold the critter while you are beginning work on it... btr now than later! lol

WD40... the folks I have worked with over the years have all disliked wd40 very much.
Consensus is that best thing abt their product is the advertising campaign.

I feel diesel is FAR superior, and it goes a really long, long ways...

It's too stinky for most people.
I don't mind the diesel smell, at all.

Locksmiths I know REALLY love to see people use wd40.
They say it gums up the lock mechanisms providing them with many service calls.

My kids have brought home a new hi-tech spray product but I haven't a clue if you can get it down under.... It's called PB Fabulous B'Laster penetrating catalyst.
It's made in Cleveland. :) (Same place Howard the Duck landed!) lol
It works real well, and seems to be quick acting.

I have used diesel for many years because it works, and is cheap.
I apply it and let it soak in for days.... then I may smack it with a ball pein, apply more, and let it set further, before I begin trying to take it apart.

There's probably whole threads here somewhere, about penetrants, and opinions on them. :)

I think one of those impact drivers will be real important for the first tear-down... and custom dress the bits so they fit the screw heads very well, before using, to avoid garfing the screw heads. It's a shame to see old engines with the fasteners all mangled.

I'll look forward to seeing when you find more information on what the engine really is !

Best
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks RC, it's not actually WD40, I just couldn't remember the brand. We get Penetrine and CRC here from work, I have quite a collection of it at home.

And I drive a Loader and have to fill it daily with diesel so I'm used to the smell also.

And I dont have an impact driver but I'll be sure to get one before teardown begins.

Thanks again RC and I've started a thread over in the board track section if you're interested.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was checking out EBay, i did a search on "villiers" and i came across this so called "Villiers board track racer unique classic rare bike"................. but what a load of crap. Its a chinagirl in a beachcruiser frame. Nothing rare or unique about it. The scary bit is the bidding is up to $455 with ten bids and nearly 4 days left...... but the seller says it hasnt reached reserve yet which boggles my mind. As ive previously said these things are illegal here in OZ. Ive seen nicer motorized bikes for sale that went for a lot less. Obviously the buyers are mistaken thinking this is somehow rare because i dont think its worth anywhere near that money..... and the auction isnt over yet..... CRAZY!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250992103195

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
I worked for an auctioneer for years and I watched him work the crowd. When he sold something for three times it's top end value and the owner came up to him after the show and asked how he managed to do that he would tell them that he wasn't selling the steak he was selling the sizzle.

This guy isn't selling the bike he is selling the sizzle. The "facts" are it's one of a kind with a handmade steel gas tank. It has a real 71cc mixed gas motor. Above all it's a Villiers.
Some poor sod who doesn't know squat about it but has read the "facts" in the ad sees the steak but hears the sizzle.

When the police pull him over and gives him the ticket and hauls the bike he will learn the truth. Probably why the current owner is selling and they may well be a member of this site.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not sure if i can smell the steak or the sizzle, but whatever it is it STINKS!!!!! LOL

It has a nice tank, is a nice bike but the seller is stretching it a little to say the least. His "sizzle" has added hundereds of dollars IMO. This guy could sell ice to eskimos

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The seller is a salesman. I'd get his phone number because if you ever want to sell yours he's the lad to have do it.

Did you know the Inuit (Eskimos) have some 30+ words for snow. When I lived in snow country everyone I knew could beat that by 50 words at least :}.

Steve.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

..pinocchio..

a good salesman will never lie
embellish the truth, maybe
but never ever lie
too ez to get caught up in lies

the best salesmen sell emotion

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
LOL Wilrod, if i were as good a story teller as this guy id say you are right, but im not so i realise that this frame doesnt leave many choices for tank design :)

Have you done anymore to those bikes you were building? i really wish youd start a thread here as i admire your workmanship.

Ill have to make a trip down to the Philip Island custom Nationals one day and say GDay..... speaking of the custom nats wasnt it on around January? How was it? Any pics? Did you take the Autocycle? How do people there react to it?....... sorry for all these questions but you only pop up here now and again LOL

wilrod

Jul 20, 2011
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
sorry mate these modern electic wiszz $#@# boom " are dam let the smoke out of a nother one" gissmoss and I dont work out all that well last time I tryed to put some pics on the computer I let the smoke out of camera number 4 and laptop no3 I can make stuff in the shed no worries but I cant afford to do a build thread digi cameras and pc are just to dam expensive! I have not done to much in the shed of late on my own projets between work and chemo just havnt either had time or felt up to it. On a side track I once again made the 7 hour trip down to phillip island was bigger and better than ever , this year i didnt take the hot rod or a bike just about 450 kg of tools and spent both sat &sun cutting up a rare 1941 lincon conternental and turning it into a convertable kendance1

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah I'm not the best with computers either Wilrod. Well I really hope you are feeling better soon brother. Glad to see you made it to the nats, I'll make it there hopefully some time soon.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I cleaned up my manroom today, the bike has acquired the rusty patina ive been waiting for, so i oiled it to prevent future rusting. I decided to change the bars and just cut down a set of old rusty cruiser bars i had, i got a bit more bend in them with a vice and slight persuasion, took about 30 min and best of all cost me nothing. I think they look a lot better. Im going to take it to a vintage swap meet next month as i go to look for parts. Ive never been to a motorcycle swap meet, little own a vintage motorcycle swap meet. Im quite excited to attend and hopefully i find some parts for my BSA project. And ive never shown my bike so that will be cool, id like to see what those guys think as well as it may help me break the ice and talk to some of them.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well i received that Villiers clutch i bought off EBay. It was an impulse buy, it was only cheap and i thought maybe one day i could use it.

I had visions of mounting it on a jackshaft similar to how my current setup is, but Fasteddy pointed out its a wet clutch, so not sure if i can use it. What would happen running it as dry clutch?