Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I take it needs a shaft to go in the hole in end of the clutch shaft

I would also need to make a hanger/bracket to hold the outside plate on and actuator for the shaft, im starting to think its more trouble then its worth

And i believe the pin through the center of the clutch shaft pushes the pin (the one at 90 degrees to shaft) to take the tension of the clutch so it freespins, is that right?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I cleaned up my manroom today, the bike has acquired the rusty patina ive been waiting for, so i oiled it to prevent future rusting. I decided to change the bars and just cut down a set of old rusty cruiser bars i had, i got a bit more bend in them with a vice and slight persuasion, took about 30 min and best of all cost me nothing. I think they look a lot better. Im going to take it to a vintage swap meet next month as i go to look for parts. Ive never been to a motorcycle swap meet, little own a vintage motorcycle swap meet. Im quite excited to attend and hopefully i find some parts for my BSA project. And ive never shown my bike so that will be cool, id like to see what those guys think as well as it may help me break the ice and talk to some of them.
What's not to like here!!!

At the show I bet you field lots of “how old is that?”, “what brand is that?” type questions.

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Mr.B im glad you like it, im sure ive told you how much i like your bike, its truly inspired me.

I think the rear disc brake is a giveaway of the year, i should really replace the rear hub with a coaster brake, but i dont really want to pay for spokes. I try and build my bikes on a tight budget, and those wheels came along and were to cheap to pass up, but the rear disc does bother me. It would fool a lot more people with a coaster hub

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Thanks Mr.B im glad you like it, im sure ive told you how much i like your bike, its truly inspired me.

I think the rear disc brake is a giveaway of the year, i should really replace the rear hub with a coaster brake, but i dont really want to pay for spokes. I try and build my bikes on a tight budget, and those wheels came along and were to cheap to pass up, but the rear disc does bother me. It would fool a lot more people with a coaster hub
Maybe you could come up with a band brake, using go-kart parts, that would bolt in place of the disc.
Would be period correct even more that the coaster. And no foolin wit the spokes!
If ya wanna get the zinc plating of new steel parts, and add patina, you could try what I've had good luck with. Soak them in muratic acid/water overnight, or until all plating is gone. rinse well, and soak in ammonia water a few munites to neutralize residual acid and rinse again.
zptthen clean off surface rust and oil the surface. Voila, instant old parts, bolts ect.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Maybe you could come up with a band brake, using go-kart parts, that would bolt in place of the disc.
Would be period correct even more that the coaster. And no foolin wit the spokes!
If ya wanna get the zinc plating of new steel parts, and add patina, you could try what I've had good luck with. Soak them in muratic acid/water overnight, or until all plating is gone. rinse well, and soak in ammonia water a few munites to neutralize residual acid and rinse again.
zptthen clean off surface rust and oil the surface. Voila, instant old parts, bolts ect.
Thats actually a fantastic idea WayneZ, if i was still riding my bike daily like i was id keep the disc for safety, but seeing as ive now discovered they are illegal a band brake makes a lot of sense.

Maybe i could just buy a v-belt pulley and drill holes to suit the hub and use an old v-belt for the band, shouldnt be too hard.

What did you have in mind when you said use go kart parts?

If i were to do the band brake id get a solid axle for the front, instead of the mountain bike skewer, id also need to age those mountain bike hubs.

Thanks Wayne Z, awesome idea and like you said period correct.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Go to most any Kart supply vendor's site or prolly ebay and you will find redi made band brake kits and parts. They don't cost much.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Just wondering, are all band brakes equal?

Im siding with this brake band, it seems higher quality..... or is it just dearer?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Brak.../120857274548?pt=Go_Karts&hash=item1c23a7a8b4
That one is actually similar to what a lot of early bikes used before drum brakes became popular.

Another quick & easy budget fix would be to hide the disc with number plate?

It would cover one side anyway.

And it would work with the look of the new handlebars.

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
harry that cluch looks like the ones in my autobikes they have been stripped out of a villiers motor most likely a junior de luxe ,( hope this link works) ,,,,, http://www.tanygraig.force9.co.uk/John/jdlplist.htm
Thanks Wilrod, link worked just fine.

Yeah thats what Fasteddy said and it seems he was right. Thanks for the link.

Oh well, i may use it if and when i ever get an autodeluxe. I need to do more research before impluse buys from now on LOL, but thats just the way i am. I probably wont learn my lesson but i wont lose any sleep either. :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Harry why don't you make your own. Cut some strips of boot leather and bond them to some banding strap. Bolt some kind of pully or drum to thr disk brake rotor....just my thoughts.............Curt
Thats a possibility but for the price of ready made ones im not sure its worth my time, i can make them look a little more aged.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That one is actually similar to what a lot of early bikes used before drum brakes became popular.

Another quick & easy budget fix would be to hide the disc with number plate?

It would cover one side anyway.

And it would work with the look of the new handlebars.

-Kirk
I always planned on covering the disc with a race number but never did. If i were still ridiing my bike reguarly i would certainly do that, but seeing as ill most likely only ride it around shows and such, a band brake will look more at home on this bike.

And the disc would still be visible form the other side of the bike behind the race number like you said

Last edited: