Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The motor does have a sprocket and pulley on the drive side... if i wanted that clean singlespeed look i could always rope start it (or could i?), and if so i wonder if any centrifugal clutch would be up for the job?... as i said lots of questions..... ill know more and post pics when i get it.
I guess you done the Villers, a Briggs, now stepping up to build a motor cycle way more power!

I was looking at the

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/latest-lunacy-honda-ct70-clone-build-36108-3.html

Cannonball2 has this geared engine that is big for a bicycle.....

but are you Harry going to put 500cc geared engine on a medium weight bike frame.

I guess I jest, but checking out how finely you keep to detail on all your builds, this project should be something to keep track of!

A friend of mine used to have an Indian Motorcycle from the newer company that formed. It was not the Chief Model but some other. What was interesting was that he got it as a gift for free from a friend that got two of them as a benefit from doing work for the company to get it approved for legal sale in the US. Unfortunately he got rid of that and some other antiques that I thought were quite unique. A wind up victrola that was for 78 rpm records. Before it was sold, he wanted me to make a CD of some records that were with it. I was using my PC and sound card, because I have still a record player that has 33 up to 87rpm which may be something harder to find now.

Make an old time motor cycle for sure, maybe a police motor cycle, guess just no blue light on top though......we all want to see you riding it, not trying to get out of impound.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/motor-bike-diyer-build-add-side-29678-2.html

Page 2 Posts 13 and 14 with total 8 pics of current build

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If i am going to use this engine, and providing i can get it running i would make a frame from scratch with stronger tubing..... this was an impluse buy and now i need to find a use for it. Im thinking an unregistered boardtracker as its a pain in the butt over here to register anything fully custom..... i think ill modify a complete motorcycle when i want a bike to ride on the road....... and besides i still need to get my motorcycle license and over here you have to go a certain period of time on a smaller cc bike before you can ride the big bikes.

After writing all this i realise how much our laws suck compared to those in the U.S :-(

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
I can understand that. My problem is compounded by the desire to buy all of them, not just one. Have a motor, transmission and wheels in 3 different auctions? Great, I'll buy them all just so you can ship them all together. Got 20 handle bars that look interesting? Super, send them on.

My brother likes to point out, often, that it's a sickness. Wish that I could argue the point.

When I bought the Villiers 98cc the chap selling it had a transmission from a 1923 motorcycle with a 200cc Villiers engine. Have to have that says I and now it's in the trailer along with all the other "That's a deal" deals that I will never use in this lifetime.

The transmission is a Hurth which is German made. Has 3 speeds with a shift lever not a foot shift. There is a pedal that when you step down on it turns one of the two sprockets on the drive side to turn the engine over to start it. This is my theory any way since it seems to serve no other function. Once it disengages I would think you can put the now running engine into gear and let the clutch out so the sprocket can now drive the rear wheel.

I will dig it out tomorrow barring the lot of snow and freezing rain that they say is coming our way and show everyone what it looks like. Silverbear picked it up for me with the Villiers and we did a brief what can we do with it and that was it so far.

Well, have to end this. There are a few auctions that I'm watching. There has to be a use for the twelve left hand wheels that only fit the right side.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well said Fasteddy.... Well said. I'm glad I'm in a group that has the same sickness.

I made a deal with my girlfriend, no more ICE engines and I can build an electric bike for commuting so I will have to keep this one secret, then pull it out one day and say "what? That old engine? I've had that for years" lol......... I swear she's guilty of the same thing when it comes to clothes and stuff for the kitchen :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive been busy around the house tidying and preparing for my first daughter lately..... and we are nearly ready, so now im getting itchy feet to do more builds (even if i cant ride em, i still love building em), so i plan to finish my girlfriends bike as well as a couple other builds ive had going on in my head.

Anyway i have a few more Villiers engines i can use, and im always keeping an eye out for Villiers goodies, and last night i won this clutch thats meant to be for a 98cc Villiers...... Im not the most mechanically minded person so im guessing i can use this??

Would this clutch be mounted on my jackshaft? Obviously there must be more to the clutch housing??? How would it be engaged? Would i need to make a "fork" to push on the clutch like what happens on a cars clutch?

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise im sure ill work it out when i can see how it works. But it will be nice to have a Villiers build with a clutch

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Wish I could help you, but don't know. Fasteddy had a Francis Barnet once I believe, so he may have an idea. Is there a Villiers yahoo group in England? Might be worth a search. Not an expensive investment even it takes some detective work to figure out how you can use it. Next up is a transmission with gears.

Speaking of babies, both your daughter and new builds you're dreaming up...
I've realized that if all goes as planned I'll have four builds done capable of climbing hills and cruising at a decent speed, which has been my quest for several years. Now it is all coming together and I have to ask myself if I really can justify four bikes even if I like them all. It's hard to sell one of your "babies". Guess I'll worry about that when all are done and I'm thinking about adopting another project.

Congratulations ahead of time on the arrival of your daughter. You really do need to start thinking about a sidecar, you know.
SB

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the wishes Silverbear, not for the sidecar idea LOL. I have way too many projects but this hobby doesnt cost much money, and ive never had such a self satisfying moment as when you first ride a bike that you have dreamed up, designed and then built it..... anyone thats done it knows what im talking about. And not to mention the build process, learning new skills and putting them into practice. Ive done things i didnt think i could do, and enjoyed every second. And im ALWAYS on the lookout for junk i can use on my bikes.

I have a decent sized manroom that i have full rein over and it still has room for a few more bikes, and my girlfriend isnt annoying me to get rid of surplus bikes......... YET...... but she only knows of my plans to do an electric build (she has agreed to this soon, as itll be quite expensive) but doesnt know about my plans for other ICE builds :)

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Wow couldn't have said it better myself,you do some awesome work for one thats still learning. I love your bike
Congradulations on the new girl ahead of time.

SB 4 bikes and I don't even have one yet,as soon as I get your forks done its my turn to get it done.........Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Harry,
Plenty of time for the sidecar. Sometime down the line in about four years it might be a whole lot of fun to take a slow cruise with your little buddy girl next to you in the sidecar Daddy built for her.

Curt,
Yep, you need to get building on that bike you showed me in your shop... the one that's going to be Shaw inspired. Unless you've got something else in mind now.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I would love to get going on the cleveland picture I sent you but that would bike #4 sitting in my shop,and I am stumbling over to many now. So I am going to finish that friction drive witch is allmost done. Just got figure wats with the motor, have a different carb going to try. But yes I will do the Shaw, not sure what motor yet I have a 50cc Honda. But won't be long and I will be doing the 4 AM enginering..............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
Wish I could put some light on the clutch subject but I'm afraid I can't. It may well need the housing that fit's on the engine.

Oddly enough though I was bidding on a Villiers Atco motor that these folks had that was in great shape and ran. Emailed them a couple of times about it and the answers I got back gave me a very good feeling about them so I'll keep watching out for their items in the auctions. The motor with the shipping was more than I could justify spending but in a couple of months I will be in a better position to buy something like it.

I too would like to add my wishes that your young lady has a very easy time with the birth. Being a parent is a wonderful thing.
It's a magic carpet ride only punctuated by the young passenger wanting something at 3am.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
I'll put photos of my transmission on here tomorrow. It has the same setup and you will be able to see how it works.
I don't think it will work without being with the proper engine case. It needs the housing around it to support it I believe.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks For the kind words Curtis...... I hope you do that shaw bike, they are gorgeous.

Fasteddy I look forward to the photos, that would help a lot...... I was thinking whatever was missing to support it surely I could fabricate and have an open style clutch on the jack shaft like some older bikes had. It would be cool if I can, that's why I bought it in the hopes to use it like that, if not I didn't pay much for it

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
And silverbear, I will probably end up building a sidecar, it won't be for a while, but if it was it would be one I could take off like you guys are doing.

And thanks guys for the well wishes for my expecting daughter, much appreciated

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Congrats ahead of time on the young one soon to arrive!

You may already know what I am about to say, but here it is.

I have seen the dry clutch on a VW Beatle and learned that there is this thing the fork. It presses on the fingers that are attached to the pressure plate that push on the disk. The disk has shoes on it that eventually wear out..

When pressing on the clutch pedal the disk with it's shoes which were otherwise pressing hard against the flywheel, will release the pressure. The fingers of the pressure plate when having the fork push in on them take the pressure from the pressure plate away so that this disengages the rotation coming from the flywheel to the wheels via the transmission.

A friend of mine was mentioning that if when I came to a stop light did I always put the car in neutral, because otherwise you are slowly deforming the fingers by having the fork pressing on them needlessly and servicing the clutch will be that much sooner.

Well my winded story is that I do not see the fork that is going to separate the counter parts in the clutch you have got.

I know I saw all the pictures and that instead of one pressure plate and one disk with shoes, it seems that there are two disks with shoes that are under pressure being held together until something (these the counter parts I’ll call them)..... could it be similar function to a fork that pushes on the fingers… pushes or pulls them apart... I'm not exactly sure.

I thought maybe there is something like a pin that goes in axley through the assembly and separates the two disks to allow for shifting gears on a whole assembled engine. Kind of like the pin that is on a Sturmey Archer, although they need no clutch, just thinking that there may be the pin thing that is similar.

****** I had some error in how it works but the video on howstuffworks 115 tells it right ****
The pressure plate is a separate part! If you stop video into the 1:13 @ 0:46 you see the fingers that need a fork (not shown) that is I guess held in place by the bell housing and a cable or hydraulic fluid to move the fork to press on the fingers of the pressure plate. Then when pressing on the fingers it in some way releases the pressure from the pressure plate onto the disk. Which in turn lets it slip on the flywheel surface.

I will look on internet... try howstuffworks.com and wikipedia.com ect.

The Subaru commercial was neat to watch with the dogs going boating...then info on clutch

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/auto/car-parts-videos-playlist.htm#video-115

MT

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Measuretwice, i may be completely wrong but i dont think this clutch is mounted to the flywheel, the clutch has a 42 tooth sprocket mounted so im guessing it cant be mounted to the engine, but actually the 42 tooth sprocket would for my primary drive and be on my jackshaft, im guessing there is a missing smaller sprocket from the clutch for my secondary drive.............. well thats how im hoping it works anyway :)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Harry,
Here is the link to photobucket. I put basic notes on the photos.
It is fairly self explanitory and when you get the clutch it will be easier to understand. If you have any questions or want more photos please ask. Where this has a threaded shaft to activate the clutch yours should have a rod and a lever to activate the rod that hooks to the clutch cable.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The difference between your clutch/tranmission and mine is mine was made to stand separate from the engine while yours was all one unit. The engine chain comes from the engine sprocket to the inner sprocket. This is where the kick starter hooks in to start the engine.

The final drive sprocket is where the clutch is so you can disengage the engine when you stop and keep it running or when you need to start the engine. A rod simply pushes the clutch apart and a very strong spring pushes it back together.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im still not real clear on this, maybe you can help me out...... Yours is a completely seperate unit, whereas you say mine is all one unit. What im not clear on is are you saying this is meant to replace my crank/engine sprocket or would it be mounted slightly behind and linked by a primary chain, in which case it would be similar to a jackshaft but would be covered by a factory cover.

If that is the case couldnt i somehow fabricate parts so this is actually my jackshaft, and i would need to mount another sprocket on the clutch shaft for a secondary chain. Then fabricate a rod to activate the clutch...... i think if i could do this (not sure if its possible) and leave it open it would be very cool and vintage looking.