Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
This is a Hungarian page with some (to modern Western eyes) odd looking vehicles. One interesting construction point is that one microcar chassis appears to be fitted with a steering wheel in the space saving "military vehicle" position, tilted about 90 deg from normal.

http://magyarjarmu.hu/autok/30-hazai-hazilag-keszult-auto-amit-eddig-nem-ismertunk/
The problem with Hungarian language websites is that they always make me think I can't understand English anymore ;)

Some great pictures on that website though.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello,
Now, I little quiz: what's the power of this cute car:
  1. pedals (velocar)?
  2. electric-motor or gasoline engine (light motorised quadricycle) ?
  3. nothing (down-hill, coaster, gravity ... racer)?
Once, at another forum, this photo atracted a lot of atention and started longer discussion...

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Her legs aren't moving or in any position to move, so it's gravity or power. There's room ahead of the feet (batteries?) and a mirror on the side. A gravity racer wouldn't have a drag inducing object on it.

I deduce powered, probably electrical.

Mind you, I have been known to be wrong. Once. A long time ago.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Her legs aren't moving or in any position to move, so it's gravity or power. There's room ahead of the feet (batteries?) and a mirror on the side. A gravity racer wouldn't have a drag inducing object on it.
I deduce powered, probably electrical.
Mind you, I have been known to be wrong. Once. A long time ago.
-----------------
Ludwig the Second,
I think that you are right this time, as a few other from our old dicussion! No place for turning pedals, and she obiously didn't do that - and too fancy for gravity racer!
In any case - cute small auto!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
My vote is completely stationary, car ain't moving, camera is moving and her "blowing thingy" is being held up by a wire onna stick.

I don't see how the thingy is blowing and her hair ain't.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just me or is there a exhaust pipe coming out of the front and going along the side with with a mirror mounted on it?.................Curt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Bad boys bad boys watcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you;

...yea I know they're firemen, I couldn't help meself - it jus' made me giggl... erm... chuckle ;)

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
I'm new to the concept of a motorized bike kit used in such a way but my 2 concerns are this. What about failure from vibration and the fact that Thies kits don't come with enough power for 2 people? You could use an electric bldc motor to get on the road safely. But then again the problem is electric cars are limited in range and refueling. I for one think it's cool but if I had to go with an option it's electric.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
.... about this cute car:
  • maybe it's moving - maybe not?
  • maybe there is wind - maybe not (hair could be wet)?
  • maybe that was exhaust-pipe - maybe part of chassis tube?
  • what is that behind front right wheel?
Probably that we should never know: there isn't any other photo of this cute car, there couldn't be found web-site from which it was taken...

Anyway, could be inspirative for single-seat velocar, with some modifications, higher bonnet/hood at the first place?

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bad boys bad boys watcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you;

...yea I know they're firemen, I couldn't help meself - it jus' made me giggl... erm... chuckle ;)
Hello BAW,
wonderful cartoon, indeed! They look more dangerous than present Swiss policemen/policewomen, but Serbian postmen look more dangerous, too!
(on attached phto is Canadian postman)

It is strange how firmen on all of old photos, cartoons and sketchess looked serious and dangerous!

Attachments

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
I'm new to the concept of a motorized bike kit used in such a way but my 2 concerns are this. What about failure from vibration and the fact that Thies kits don't come with enough power for 2 people? You could use an electric bldc motor to get on the road safely. But then again the problem is electric cars are limited in range and refueling. I for one think it's cool but if I had to go with an option it's electric.
Hello Lucajo,
I have similar dilemmas about power for light quadricycle (in my case) for two persons... I do not have experience with Chinese gasoline engines, but my frined in Serbia use one on his MTB for regular comutting and he is satisfied. However, he complaned on noice and vibrations: very often he must fixed all bolts on bicycle! Then, he is quite small guy and managed to have good speeds: up to 50 km/hour (a little too high, as he said)...
I do not expect that such engine could be enough for two persons, inculding something heavier vehicle... Electric power have some adventages, but dissadventages, too...
A lot of searching is necessary and the best to discuss that with persons that have dirct experience with both of variants...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hello Lucajo,
I have similar dilemmas about power for light quadricycle (in my case) for two persons... I do not have experience with Chinese gasoline engines, but my frined in Serbia use one on his MTB for regular comutting and he is satisfied. However, he complaned on noice and vibrations: very often he must fixed all bolts on bicycle! Then, he is quite small guy and managed to have good speeds: up to 50 km/hour (a little too high, as he said)...
I do not expect that such engine could be enough for two persons, inculding something heavier vehicle... Electric power have some adventages, but dissadventages, too...
A lot of searching is necessary and the best to discuss that with persons that have dirct experience with both of variants...
...it needn't be a kit, or even one or the other - there's so many possibilities lol;

http://youtu.be/aQXKnt9hZzU

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand