The Rustoration Build Off

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ah Humsuckler... I feel terrible, I really do - but 30 years newer than the newest bike in the build off might be pushin' it a bit. I really did wanna keep this as close to "pre-war" as possible but with the scarcity of such bicycles some wiggle room is inevitable. Heck even my bike crosses that line, bein' only a 67yo baby.

Personally - I have no problem at all if ya wanna start a thread in the "vintage" section and I'm really lookin' forward to those pics... but to be honest, given yer bike was prolly built about the same year I was born, I'm not completely comfortable callin' myself vintage...

At least not quite yet ;)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
hahaha yea it is a bit new school to be vintage i guess its "just old" lol

i gotta get some sleep so i can work and fund this hobby!

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA

o_O

...Gawdangit you guys lol I've not even finished gettin' alla my parts yet, thank jeebus weekend-fun wants in else it's looks as I'd be all alone in this thread here pretty soon!

weekend-fun - Obviously yer more than welcome to join in, as is anyone meeting the "strict" criteria. It's supposed to be '50s and older bikes, but naturally there's some wiggle room if yer Schwinn happens to be from the 60s. "No major frame modifications" is just what it sounds like, while awesome - this isn't about boardtrack replicas, choppers, or scratch built frames is all. Other mods are fine... which is good as I'm gettin' all sortsa goodies and doin' lil stuff to mine...

bairdco - yer bike came out lookin' just about perfect! Tho you say it's "done" ya know full well that's never true heh, I expect there may be a burn-guard somewhere in yer future, perhaps some accessories sprinkled here and there? Whatever the case I hope ya keep us posted as the ol' girl evolves, your straightforward, logical, "no nonsense" view on problem solving is an inspiration and I for one value yer input and always look forward to seein' how you hammer out a solution.

Well done man, well done!

silverbear - I was kinda hopin' you'd be tap-tap-tapin' a while longer, but nooooo - ya had to go and put alla bits ya had together and get yer bike a rollin' project didn't ya? lol That blue is bang-on, it goes so well with the black engine and seat! Jim's awesome adapter is no surprise heh, but TBH I forgot you had fender skirts for the thing, I cant wait to see those! I'm not 100% sure about the handlebars... you mentioned you might be switchin' them if they prove uncomfortable... I unno if it's just cause the goose-neck is so high or what - but they seem a lil... off. It's the only thing that I can think of to critique, I hope ya don't mind I did so. The rest is elegant, it's gonna be a real looker all dressed out w/yer fenders and rack tank!

meh... I got nothing, NOTHING accomplished the past coupla days. Well, I did some daydreaming and a lil research, I am developing a deep seated loathing for these stock carburetors and I've been pickin' through the forum tryin' to find a viable alternate. While I'm not gonna go crazy with performance mods (just the standard light port & polish like bairdco described) the Schwinn has taught (and continues to teach) me well and I'm convinced the stock carb is one of the greatest limiting factors regarding engine performance, equaled only by the stock exhaust. It isn't even performance so much as the poor quality of the carb, after the first on on my Schwinn developed a fracture (casting flaw) I swapped it out for the newer Grubee style, while it does work better than the first did, I'm still havin' some minor issues with it... I kinda want to chuck it in the ocean... I kinda really wanna see how far I can throw it

I've done a bit of hunting around and while I do not wish to start a debate about aftermarket carburetors here in the Rustoration thread, there is some... inconclusiveness regarding which is more suitable and minor vagueness in jetting and whatnot. I greatly value people's expertise and would love some advice - if you know through first-hand experience which carb/jetting is preferable for the 66cc Grubee please do throw in yer wisdom (as in specific part numbers, not brand preference alone), I'd appreciate it no end! If you've just opinions or second-hand rumors I'd rather you kept it outa this particular thread (but as is always the case - feel free to PM me anytime) ;)

The tip of the iceburg;

http://motorbicycling.com/f13/18mm-mikuni-upgrade-1895.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f13/high-performance-dellorto-carb-found-2314.html

Hey, on my bike the pedals are locked up and i need to replace the bearings so your not the only one :-||ing!!! Oh well, when its all said and done, well have us a lot of nice looking bikes that should be out of there prime (AKA OLD!). I also like the "no EXTREME mods rule, that keeps it oringinal (unlike in this buildWeekend-funs garage builds even though I am using a old one, its pretty custom!

again, Can't Wait!!!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
BarelyAWake, you don't need to call yourself vintage! There are more than enough volunteers to do that for you.
OH sh8t thier lined up already and thier taking numbers.

Fast"#1"eddy

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
ZOMG abuse - ABUSE!!! Gadang whipper-snappers o.o

:p

Well guys... My frame is at my workplace waitin' ona tank, rims are all painted and at the local bike shop waitin' to get laced...

Which leaves me not much bike left over to work on. I suppose I'll follow silverbear's lead and start tap-tap-tapin' me some fenders lol I did manage to pick up a coupla cans of my spiffy paint so if I can manage to get those ol' chunks of steel to be vaguely presentable I can give 'em a squirt and show ya'll the color.

I meant to take some pics of the rims all painted but to give ya an idea how hurried I was to get them to the shop (they're closed tomorrow), I hadta put 'em in plastic for the trip else they'd stick together lol The paint will prolly be damaged because of this but I don't mind a lil touch-up.

It's unlikely the pics will show the color well anyway, it's a slate gray (very mild metalflake) so dark it looks black unless it's in direct sunlight (or contrasted with actual black). I know the detailing and original pattern done in semigloss black on such a dark gray wont show very well... but I like that about it lol I had an old (not vintage - just old heh) Chevy Malibu that was gloss black with flat black stripes - everyone thought it was odd, but I loved the thing ;)

It's kinda weird... I didn't really pick the gray, it was something I just happened to have a can of and I know it's a really tough paint so I decided to roll w/it. The more I think about it though - the more I'm diggin' it :D

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi I would submit my wife's '46-53 Cleveland, but it would be a retrospective because I had it finished before 5-1-04 I do have some build bics and I certainly remember it well.

Mike

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi I would submit my wife's '46-53 Cleveland, but it would be a retrospective because I had it finished before 5-1-04 I do have some build bics and I certainly remember it well.

Mike
Hey Mike,
I don't know what the official position is from our leadership as I just work here (sniff), but speaking for myself I'd like to see 'em.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have posted some photos from today's work. The first shows the headlight adapted from an Eveready dry cell type lantern. I removed the headlight portion, drilled a hole in the back of the inside light casing and then widened the hole with a cone shaped grinder attached to the drill. Into the new widened opening I placed 18 6v LED lights purchased in one strand as battery operated Christmas lights in a warm white. I found these at Target for $6.00 + .The strand comes with a little battery case for 4 AA batteries and has a switch. The lights were left connected to each other and the wired bundle taped so that the bulbs are all together, pushed into the opening facing toward the lens. I've done this on other old headlights and run them off of the magneto. Works fine for me and the price is right. All together I have $11.00 invested in the headlight. I used mounting hardware from a dead bicycle light from my department of dead parts.
Second photo shows the 'new' rear rack which was adapted from a 1960's Schwinn front rack. With a dremel cutoff wheel I removed the spring loaded clamping mechanism and then did some bending of the lower arms, drilled out the holes so they could attach at the axle and then did some creative pounding with the blunt end of a splitting maul to straighten out the other end somewhat so that it would fit over the seat post. It is held in place there with a small hose clamp at the bottom, then a flat washer, then the rack, another flat washer and a small hose clamp at the top. It is very secure, the chrome is A+ and I had a heck of a time straightening out the bend because the steel is so well made. No rattling from that one. The price was right as I had the rack already and had no use for it.

The next three photos show three different options on mounting the V8 gas tank, yet to be soldered up. Two show the tank lengthwise, one with the filler tube toward the seat and the other with the filler at the back. The last photo shows the tank crosswise. Which way should it go? I'd appreciate opinions. The tank is a V8 juice can and holds 48 ounces. I don't know what that translates to in litre talk. My old Chinese tank always leaked so I could never fill it all the way anyway. With this one I can fill it up since the cap seals and there will be a separate air vent. I will probably paint it and don't know if it should be the same color as the frame or black, like the engine. I may eventually cover it in black Elk hide like the seat.
I also got the pedal crank swapped out so that it now clears the engine. Motor is very secure and was the easiest install I've experienced. The throttle is from a go kart and I have an extra long throttle cable which goes under the down tube and up under the seat and then to the carb. No, it doesn't bind. A cable can be long if you avoid sharp bends. I've done that on my Americans, too, since they are also step through models. This way there are no wires or cables to catch your foot on as you step through. That's about it for today. Next in line is soldering the gas tank, mounting it and affixing pedal and drive chains. The next warm day I can take it for a ride. Fenders and guards can come after that.
SB

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
what's all that white stuff on the ground?

48 ounces is 1.4 liters, or almost a third of a gallon.

bikes looking good, can't wait for the fenders.

is there any way to mount the tank up under the rack, like in that space where the rack bends up, above the fender bridge? that would look sleek, and you'd still be able to use the rack.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
also, the skirt... sorry, coat guards are going on that bike, right? maybe mount the CDI box behind the seat tube, so they're hidden inside? you could run the wires underneath the engine and everything would be tucked up in there and outta sight.

just throwin out some ideas...

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bairdco,
I just tried fitting the tank under the rack as you suggested and there isn't room as it is, let alone once the fender is in place. It will have to go on the rack.
Yes, the CDI ca be hidden behind the coat guard. It will stay as it is until the fenders and guards are in place, then I'll get a new plug wire. Good idea. That white stuff is not supposed to be there. It is why I am spending the winter in western Maryland and not back home in northern Minnesota... supposedly to avoid the white stuff and frigid temps. It's OK though since it never lasts around here, unlike the snow pack back home which stays from October to sometime in April. I've seen enough snow to last me several lifetimes. Green is good.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I dunno if it's cause ya laid 'em back or if I'm just gettin' used to 'em - but those handlebars are lookin' pretty good now lol The tank itself is a bit of a dilemma, normally I like 'em sideways but for some reason in-line with the bike looks pretty good on yer build. The headlight looks great too! Which I think is awesome for purely selfish reasons, namely we've a pile of old emergency lights at work that look almost identical and I was gonna filch one fer me bike.

lolz - that's the exact same throttle I have picked out too, how's it's quality/construction? I vaguely remember some boardtracker here on the forum that had an internal throttle, very low profile and cable all hidden away - bedanged if I can find it... mighta been a custom job, kinda want something like that if you guys have any ideas...

All in all yer bike is really comin' along nice and lookin' sweet! Saw a frame very similar to yours hangin' up in the service department at the local bike shop when I dropped off my rims. Mentioned to the techs there (whom have built HTs for themselves) that you were motorizing one, and after a "orly?!?" we chatted quite a bit about it. They hadn't considered it a possibility, but after I told 'em about this thread and that you had built other step-throughs the babblin' began in earnest. As the old step-through bikes are a heck of a lot easier to find, they thought it an awesome idea!

bairdco - there was a lil one virtually identical to yours too, up in a tool stand and gettin' crank adapters installed. It's owned by one of the techs and he's in the midst of motorizing it - I told him about your backwards engine solution and your thread http://motorbicycling.com/f38/backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-13458.html - judging from the look of relief on his mug, I bet you just earned yerself another stalker lol

I failed... I didn't bring my camera with me and I promptly forgot the names of the bikes as my brain was all filled with gears and whatnot. When I go back to get my wheels I'll bring it though ;) While the lil one was gettin' an engine, the step-through was just in for repair. The poor ol' girl had a case of pretty bent forks... still, it's sweet that someone is ridin' it.

As we got the first snow of the season, I didn't get a chance to bang on those fenders - the Schwinn got all the lovin' as I was out playin' all day lol *shrug* I'd planned on the Rollfast bein' an all-winter project and not the coupla weeks like you guys seem intent on heh, still I'm havin' a blast and that's what matters :D

MotorbikeMike - I concur, please post pics of yer wife's '46-53 Cleveland! I for one would love to steal ideas... *cough* be inspired by a build like yers (^)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - leave it to that crazeh bast... erm... that incredible artist to kick out around $200 for a twist grip alone, and some people people whine about SBP's shift kit laff

Maybe he didn't (link expired)... I found this and perhaps later when the budget recovers a bit I'll throw down for it...

Internal Throttle Assembly for Harley

Thanks azbill, yer ossum man :D

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Barely,
I'm glad you like the headlight, too. It isn't chrome, so at some point if rust becomes a problem I'll either clear coat it or paint it. It looks different enough that one might think it was original to the bike. Some of the really nice stuff out there, like Whizzer head lights are out of my budget limits. New cruiser type bicycle lights are both expensive and cheaply made, so I like this. Besides, there's that special pleasure in making something out of nothing that I think is common to many of us here.
The throttle is one I've used on the American for a number of years... purchased on eBay as a go kart throttle. I think for what it is and for what it costs it is a good throttle, certainly better than the ones supplied in the kits. The innards are metal instead of plastic, but you still need to be careful about over tightening the screws to fix it to the handlebar. The chrome has held up fine. I also recall seeing that board track build with the cables inside the handlebar. It was someone new to the forum and was maybe a month or six weeks ago I think. It was a very cool build.
The gas tank. Not totally sure yet, but I think it will probably go cross wise as that will make it easiest to mount to the rack. I'm going with that thought and will make up one accordingly so that I can try this bike out pretty soon, weather permitting. I can always make another one cheaply enough. Including the juice there's maybe six or seven dollars counting everything... flux and silver solder, propane, brass cap and copper fill tube. For the vent tube and outlet I'm just soldering short sections of brass tubing. I picked up a brass in line shutoff valve from Lowe's the other day and will use that rather than soldering a shut off to the tank directly. I'm still wondering if the inside of the tank should be treated with some coating to keep rust at bay. I guess this one will be my first and will learn from that. Time will give me the answers about how suitable a can is as a gas tank. I don't know if Rockenstein has had a chance to use his Apple Juice tank yet. I do remember having a little "Chicken Power" friction drive motor once that had a gas tank from the manufacturer which was a modified can, about the size of a regular soup can.
While I'm anxious to ride this bike it will be a good while I think before it is what I would call "done" ( a relative term, as you pointed out, since we're never really done), meaning being functional and having fenders and guards both in place and looking good.
Regarding the handlebar. I sat on the bike and moved the bars down and toward me until they felt right. I think the hand/wrist position will be good for me, as I have had some trouble with the bars on my Americans which turn inwards at the grips. I have a partial paralysis in my feet and to some degree in my hands, so comfort is very important to me. Until I decide otherwise after some long rides, the handlebar will stay.
I have other work to do today, so won't be getting anything done on the bike. Sometimes it's good to pull back and do some creative staring anyway.
Glad you like the bike,
SB

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i've been using these: HONDA CFR50 & XR50 - Sik50's Billet Throttle -7/8" Bar. they're on the "bay" for 30 bucks.

you gotta use your original throttle cable guide, but they work great.
nice twisties, but take a gander a these puppies :D

i have a set of the plain aluminum ones OTW for spring ;)