Paying for motorized bicycle hobbies... how do members do it!

GoldenMotor.com

smokinbenrage

May 18, 2008
Hello,

I was thinking sitting here this morning at my part time overnight job and I was thinking about what I have done to raise enough funds to purchase my motorized bicycle kit and all of the other goodies that go along with this fantastic hobby. Personally I donate plasma twice a week and am able to make some extra cash for this new hobby/addiction. I was just curious to see what others are doing to raise the needed funds to keep their motorized bicycle hobby going.

Please don't be offended by this question. Just seeing how my fellow motorized bicycle riders do it. I know some people are a little touchy on the money subject.

(^)

Thanks,

Ben

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Paying for MB hobbies... how do members do it!

i am an air traffic controller and of course my wife controls the pay check lol. pay pal is and awesome thing. sell things on ebay i get in garage sales and stuff and support my hobbie. now that i am in the virgin islands their is no garage sales so i had to settle for scuba diving this morning instead of garage saleing. its a rough life but someone has to do it:D

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

I have a wife who works!!
Also... there's no such thing as "extra" cash!! We always spend a little more than we can afford every month! rotfl

My old hobby of radio controlled nitro car racing (1/8 scale On-Road) was really expensive compared to these bikes!

I'll say this to all you young guys out there... Marry a girl who has a good job!! (it takes away a lot of the strain of having to work tons of overtime just to make ends meet!)
I can't tell you how many guys I work with who have wives who stay at home watching TV all day while the man is knocking himself out, working 10-12 hour days, 6-days a week just to pay the bills and he is still not be able to afford any toys like these! :(

:ride2:

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

I have a wife who works!!

I can't tell you how many guys I work with who have wives who stay at home watching TV all day while the man is knocking himself out, working 10-12 hour days, 6-days a week just to pay the bills and he is still not be able to afford any toys like these! :(

:ride2:
And then she still gripes about stress and stuff!!!

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

And then she still gripes about stress and stuff!!!
I'm pretty lucky... my wife doesn't gripe!
For years before I was into these bikes & nitro cars, I rode Harley's all the time! (Those are REALLY expensive!!)
I was in my 2nd MC accident just after our son was born, & it really scared the **** out of her, so now any time she says ANYTHING about my hobbies, I simply tell her I can go back to riding the motorcycles again! Then she says, "no", "what you have now is perfect!" rotfl

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA

Longterm, I know, but....a career instead of a job.
Become knowledgeable, go to school, become an apprentice, better yourself. Aspire to achieve more than a job that is easily filled by someone else. If you can provide a service that others generally cannot do for themsleves, then you'll be in demand, resulting in greater wages. But that depends on your drive, motivation, and patience.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

I stopped racing :(

What did you race?? Like I said, I was into 1/8 On-Road... I still have 4 cars & tons of gear!!
I'll get back down to the track someday! :D

Also... we DO have careers! I'm in the Ironworkers Union, & my wife is a Controller / Financial Manager / Tech Support / Office Manager for a software company in Beverly Hills!
So there!! :p :D lol
(why do good girls like bad boys?)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

What did you race??
IMCA Modfied

I have some pic's at lonesomeracing - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm working on more racing pic's and MB pic's. Most of them are film and need to be scanned to the PC. I dont have a scanner so I have to go to my sister's to do it. It's going to take time but I have hundres of photo's and hope to have them all up soon.

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN

"HoughMade, what made you want to become a lawyer? Did you want to help people? Make a difference? Do something you enjoy?"

- "Naw, 4 years of college, 3 of law school and 10 years of practice are the best way I could figure to pay for building a motorized bike!"

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com

"HoughMade, what made you want to become a lawyer? Did you want to help people? Make a difference? Do something you enjoy?"

- "Naw, 4 years of college, 3 of law school and 10 years of practice are the best way I could figure to pay for building a motorized bike!"
rotflrotflrotfl

chief

May 23, 2008
St. Cloud, MN

I appreciate all the various ways that you all fund our wonderful hobby and just have to add my 2 cents:

Luckily, I am single with no kids (so that's how I can afford it), but all-in-all it's a cheap hobby compared to some. We do it because we love it, and that's AWESOME!!!

It's money, I agree, but we're saving money, too, by not filling our cars/trucks/whatever with gas (about $3.90 here in MN!). I predict that it will be over $4 (plus!) by the end of the summer, and why drive a car/truck/etc. when there's only one passenger...?

That's my two, and I'm stickin' to it! Thanks all for this wonderful site!

Jared

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

I sell bikes on the side. I also look for good sales on bike parts and buy in bulk when I find screaming good deals. My LBS guy loves me, I usually buy my bikes in lots of four or more to save money...Kelly

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas

To some of us it's like air. It's not a hobby but a way of life. It's hard to explain, like your first kiss. or something like that...

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

HA....A little late but I like Venice Boys idea!....I can see it now....Charlottesville Big Love...Oh yeah....I could live like a King then!

Me, I run a Lawn Care Landscape business and make Custom Sprockets...

Andrew