Old Guys V twin & sidecar

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Resurrecting Rick's thread and turning it into another Party Line. Sorry Rick. As long as the party line is open.
My machine shop thread is wilting on the vine. Stay tuned to this channel.
Got to take Mona for an Oncologist visit in Milwaukee Tuesday and only working on exterior Christmas illumination is on my work schedule after that, when the Boss ain't looking.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I got all our decorations out Friday afternoon, Saturday our daughter and granddaughters came over to help decorate. They have put out things we haven't used in years, with something in every room of the house. My wife has said they must come back and help take all of this down. I worked outside on the lighting while they turned the inside into a Hallmark store.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Storm Barra hits us later this afternoon - hot on the heels of last week's Storm Arwen. Blizzards predicted, but winds not forecast to be as high as Arwen, at least I hope not, 'cause several thousand rural Northumberland residents have been advised by Northern Power Grid that their electricity should finally be restored no later than today. Been a tough ten days with no power for many here. And if Jen and I still lived in Netherton we'd be amongst the unlucky ones. Miss being out in the sticks, but town centre living has its benefits.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tom I got all our decorations out Friday afternoon, Saturday our daughter and granddaughters came over to help decorate. They have put out things we haven't used in years, with something in every room of the house. My wife has said they must come back and help take all of this down. I worked outside on the lighting while they turned the inside into a Hallmark store.
My in-laws, wife's sis Sheila and her retired vicar hubby Keith, live in Amble over on the coast here in Northumberland and have the misfortune to live right opposite a recently moved-in 7-strong family who, back at the end of October, began literally obliterating the exterior of their house with the most OTT Christmas decorations. End-to-end, top-to-bottom of the house and garden was flashing so you could see it from space. Now you either love or hate this kind of stuff - and my in-laws told me the general; consensus of their neighbourhood was that everyone wished these 'chavvy' gits and their Christmas lights would Amble-off back to London. Keith must have prayed extra hard - 'cause Storm Arwen last week stripped the entire sheebang almost bare. Those lights are probably somewhere near the North Pole.
Grinch? ... Moi?...

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Not judging anyone here. Everyone should be allowed to do their thing at Christmas.
Let me just say my Sis-in-law Sheila was mortified when her new neighbours knocked on her door back in early November, asking if she would like them to decorate her house front with yet more of their left-over lights and decorations so the neighbours could see the lights from their front window. Needless to say, as a vicar's wife, Sheila's tactful diplomacy saved the day. She now has a flashing santa adorning her garden lamp-post.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Resurrecting Rick's thread and turning it into another Party Line. Sorry Rick. As long as the party line is open.
My machine shop thread is wilting on the vine. Stay tuned to this channel.
Got to take Mona for an Oncologist visit in Milwaukee Tuesday and only working on exterior Christmas illumination is on my work schedule after that, when the Boss ain't looking.

Tom
Dead thread resurrected! Thanks Tom. I love it being used by friends to update each other and for all who've shared I send blessings. All of you who feel close enough to share your lives, not just our builds, with one another have once again displayed real friendship. I hope all our threads are open to this type of response, year round.

Guys our weather here is the best I've ever seen and Greg I'm with you in short sleeves, though today's high is only 53 the ten day forecast is mostly mid '60's with some mid 70's in the mix.

Sorry Curt that your experiencing Winter already Brrrrrr!

Pete I read of a country pub that had 60 plus patrons which were stranded during the storm. No power but plenty of adult beverages and food. Life isn't always horrible in the face of difficulties. Photos showed mountains in the background so I thought it might be Northumberland.

Enjoy the season despite some of the strangeness it often displays. I remember a Christmas eve when my son & I were finishing some shopping and coming to a halt at a stop light on the way home. The passenger door of the red Jeep in front of us opened and out sprang a beautiful, statuesque young blonde who was completely naked! Not R but X rated. She was wearing only a long red Santa cap and long red gloves. She proceeded to prance around and wave season's greetings to all (Houston story so a quite large audience) my 10 year old didn't say a word but didn't miss a thing. Me either. Chrismas came early that year. Needless to say Mother didn't need to know of this. It took some time to wipe the smiles off our face. I still love Christmas lights I may feature a stop light this year!

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
"Chavvy" Git's, eh. We in North America seem to have lost the ability to express ourselves so eloquently. My description would be more to the point and decidedly less eloquent as would most people I know.

However it would seem that the winds of Karma did blow fairly and resolve the problem. One can only imagine the magnitude of the party where these people lived when it was found out they had moved. I would imagine that streets were blocked off and it lasted for days.

My Nephew and his partner bought their house and as they were moving in a group of the neighbours stopped by and told them that the next weekend there would be a block party to welcome them. It seems that the former owner was such a nasty and abusive individual that when the house sold they were waiting to see who moved in. I believe some of them called the real estate agent to find out.
On hearing it was a couple with a child they applied to a permit to close the street for a day and have a block party. Nice quiet side street so it was easy.

Hope your storm is mild.

Steve.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick, that's more my kind of' 'flashing santa'. No mobile phones back in those days - so no chance of it being broadcast to the whole world via the internet moments after photos were taken.

That Brit pub you mentioned seeing was most likely the Tan Hill Inn - Britain's highest pub - where an Oasis tribute band (NOasis) were playing and were stranded with their audience for several days of well-refreshed merriment. The story made national news and those who partook have all become good friends, so annual reunion get-togethers have already been planned

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
"Chavvy" Git's, eh. We in North America seem to have lost the ability to express ourselves so eloquently. My description would be more to the point and decidedly less eloquent as would most people I know.

However it would seem that the winds of Karma did blow fairly and resolve the problem. One can only imagine the magnitude of the party where these people lived when it was found out they had moved. I would imagine that streets were blocked off and it lasted for days.

My Nephew and his partner bought their house and as they were moving in a group of the neighbours stopped by and told them that the next weekend there would be a block party to welcome them. It seems that the former owner was such a nasty and abusive individual that when the house sold they were waiting to see who moved in. I believe some of them called the real estate agent to find out.
On hearing it was a couple with a child they applied to a permit to close the street for a day and have a block party. Nice quiet side street so it was easy.

Hope your storm is mild.

Steve.
Thanks Steve I generally do my best to appear incompetent, at which I'm extremely well suited.

I've a neighbor for whom I would throw a party of celebration in her memory upon departure. No real ill will on my part just bad karma, juju and general dislike of brujas & witches that practice without a license, tags or vaccination certificates!

It's been months since our last actual storm, a tornado, which skipped (literally) by our quaint town. Just a great Fall season here in Indian Territory.

Take good care of yourself Steve.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick, that's more my kind of' 'flashing santa'. No mobile phones back in those days - so no chance of it being broadcast to the whole world via the internet moments after photos were taken.

That Brit pub you mentioned seeing was most likely the Tan Hill Inn - Britain's highest pub - where an Oasis tribute band (NOasis) were playing and were stranded with their audience for several days of well-refreshed merriment. The story made national news and those who partook have all become good friends, so annual reunion get-togethers have already been planned
That's the one Pete. Sits quite apart from much else, according to the wire service report. I checked the story a second time to make certain the meager facts...Tan Hill Inn. I'm certain all wore masks and practiced social distancing at all times, plus alcohol is a decent disinfectant.

Perhaps a one year reunion would be an appropriate occasion to introduce new born to their fathers as well, which would make the reunion a real surprise party for some!

Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick,
The auctioneer I worked for in upstate New York had a bar in Houston for twenty years. As he always said, things really were bigger and better in Texas.

Evidently Christmas is one of them.

Steve.
Where were you located upstate? I travelled to Cornell University many times during the '70's and really liked the area and it's people.

Houston and Texas get some bad raps and some deserved praise too. As big as the state is the heart and ideas are even bigger. The country as a whole was once like that and can be again.

Christmas in Houston is pretty crazy but typically in a good way. I still have a lot of family and many friends there and I still feel quite comfortable there, just can't feature living there full time.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
#112 I thought for sure you were going to bust my chops Rick. One can do a PM, but I have not found a partyline type feature on this forum. I suppose it would have been better had I used a thread of mine which is languishing.
Thanks for letting me slide.
But would we ever have added Chappy to our vocabulary otherwise?
Cockney rhyming slang comes to mind.
Mona's Oncologist, after her latest hospitalization is giving her a two month break break from the chemo treatment that caused an alergic reaction and to hopefully improve her red blood cell production.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
I've always found that the folks in the U.K have an amazing ability to tell you where to get off in such a way that it sounds like an amazingly good Idea and you wish you had thought of it first. Here we tend to be a lot more to the point and not nearly as tactful.

We had a neighbour a few doors down from us who sounds much like your neighbour. He was a University Professor who told you he was when you first met him and his wife was a former student whom he left his wife and children for.

The pair of them had the charm of a stepped on rattlesnake and promptly started to try to organize the neighbourhood to their satisfaction. They were just as promptly told to heave off and Mrs. Professor informed the people they were talking to that they weren't going to force them out like the last neighbourhood they lived in did.

They lasted 5 years and then physically moved their house and garage about ten miles to a new location. Out in the country fortunately for them but unfortunately next to a couple just like they were or even worse who made their life an absolute misery with the county government complaining about every thing they did. They would look up every measurement and then check to make sure it was correct when no one was there.

From what we heard the building inspector wore out a set of tires on his car checking that everything was OK. The job took almost two years to do what was at most six months. They just needed to set the house and garage on new foundations with a well and septic.

Fortunately I'm not her neighbour. She'd receive a nice new collar every Christmas with a custom engraved tag on it. Maybe a rabies tag as well if I could figure a way to do it without my name tied to it.

Steve.