Old Guys V twin & sidecar

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL Didn't mean any implication, got to remember one picture is worth a 1000 words also. A lot of guys only post one picture, and expect you to fallow. I thought you were doing a good job, and like what you are doing........Curt

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Another one heading over the wall and out of the park Rick. This most definitely isn't a beginners build but it is something that a beginner can work their way up to with bike building experience.

When people ask how I'm doing I just tell them "Pretty good for an old guy." So far no ones argued with me

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Curt & Steve we're just facing the facts, right? Old by definition.

I spent part of the day ordering parts for several bikes, Winter is my upgrade and service time for my completed rides. I've got two bikes that I'll be changing forks on & replacing bearings in a headset. Ignition parts and new brake throttle and clutch cables on two of the older bikes. I'll also replace caliper pads, but think the rotors and rear coaster brakes are in good shape still, though repacking hubs would be wise on several wheels. Just grunt work, but when Spring hits I'll be ready to take some long rides. Tires and chains all have lots of life left and I rebuilt the tops of 3 motors in the Spring last year and now have two fresh 2 strokes on the shelf & 3 mounted on bikes so I'm hoping engine problems are taken care of for awhile & my attention can focus mainly on the V twin bike this Winter & have it up and running this Spring....sidecar in the Summer or early Fall?

A guy asked how I felt today and I replied "if it got any better I'd have to take something for it!" Life is good when you're just having fun. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm excited the forum is getting active again after the slump in posting through the end of the year & despite the bitter Winter conditions in many areas of the country many are planning & building bikes. It encourages me to read these posts and see what others have come up with for their creations. Yesterday I learned 2 ways to build a fuel tank: the correct way and my way & that's progress in my opinion, 'cause now I have a fallback solution, lol.

Right now I'm doing a lot of orders & design and not much building. I've got two sets of forks, not for the V twin, coming & a coffin style fuel tank (for the twin); as well as board track style bars, which may end up on the V-twin and misc. parts for both bike assembly and the service work previously mentioned in a post. Both my V twins and the Predator 212 are at my engine guys shop & I've not a clue as to any progress made on that end. He does good work, so he's busy plus his schedule doesn't allow for clocks lol. The good news is he hasn't asked for any extra money to this point...I think? For an Old guy who is pleasantly surprised to wake up each morning I've got a lot of projects planned for the future. I actually get as much done as I did when I was 50, but it takes me 5 times longer. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The more I sit around reading posts & thinking the more things change. I planned on using a "coffin" style tank on this build but have talked myself into the use of a steel torpedo tank rounded on each end and used as the frame structural support in place of straddle tubes. Tank will be 6" x 25" & hold 2.5 gallons of fuel & have twin filler ports. Filled to capacity this will place 15 lbs. of extra weight above the center of gravity when compared to a 1.5 gallon coffin tank and twin bars but the extremely low overall design of the bike should more than compensate and I'd like to have the extra fuel capacity & rigidity the tank will add. The engine will also be used as a stressed member for lower frame support. Rick C..

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL! Sounds good, what ever you like is the most important. One of the reasons i won't do a copy, i like to implement ideas. And a lot get changed along the way, for the better hopefully ..........Curt

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick,
Wondered how your sidecar project was fairing? I still hanker after one and so I occasionally search online for suitable parts/ideas. While online last week, I came across a company called Inder Sidecars, located in India. Some of their products popped up while I was on eBay and I so checked 'em out. Pretty little 'lookie-likies' of Watsonian and Steib chairs. Like me, you'll probably notice right away their chairs seem to ride far too high (I prefer low-slung side hacks). Well, there's a solution for that if you look on YouTube and watch a US biker's video showing 'How to lower an Inder Sidecar'. Thought I'd stash the 3 x Inder Sidecars I viewed on eBay into my 'watch' list and guess what - less than 12 hours later I received a message from Inder offering a substantial discount off their already low pricing. Believe it or not, they're offering rigs like this for not much over a grand (UK Sterling)- INCLUDING FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!
In typical Indian fashion, I'd bet they'd offer parts like bodies only which may be of use to our community...
Check Inder out if you get a chance. Not saying these are in the same league as Watsonian or Steib - but then they're nowhere near as expensive. Modifiable for sure. I guess you get what you pay for.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey Pete yeah about that hmmmm? How to phrase it? Absolutely no progress 'bout sums it up. I've been too easily distracted by my other projects that I've about worn out the sidecar "pan" sitting it on the back burner. I hope o get back on it soon & progress ,when it occurs, will be posted on the Old Guy's Simolex thread.

V twin is also back burner & it's getting crowded back there!

Thanks for the heads up on the Sidecars of India. I will check it out.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'd think a lite hack would work well with these brackets and speeds kept modest. The 4 bolt tension clamps are really quite robust.

Using four link rods is the plan for my Simplex rig hook up & Harley Davidson tube clamps on the bike frame.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve this thread recently got bumped though really inactive for many months now, but maybe it's just a wakeup call to get back on the sidecar for the Simplex & also revive my efforts to build some sort of "V twin" that the car could also be mounted to. Wrapping up other bike projects it seems so...

I started this thread with shop built frame in mind but perhaps a Sportsman loop frame would be a good choice as well but the V twins available just won't fit the Sportsman's dimensions without major stretch & that's not going to happen this time around.

The lack of an appropriate V twin motor for my use has really stymied this build....I'll keep searching.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This project didn't maintain traction because of my dislike of the Yamaha V twins modern look. It's a fine motor and has been mounted in vintage look bikes in the past, which I liked. I wanted something I could live with and not sell after I grew less and less enchanted by the machines look. I put quite a lot in this project both time and money. I sold the two engines, used the forks on another bike, saved the tires and wheels and scavenged brakes etc. In the end getting my money back plus.

Side car stuff, not mentioned in this thread except in passing; are stored. The side hack to be mounted on the Simplex frame at some point.

One offs are at times are just stillborn or still thers are deemed suicide. R.I.P 250 VTwin Yamaha. It's one project that I should not have begun, but I still learned some things and had fun along the way.

RickC.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
R.I.P 250 VTwin Yamaha.
Solved that question.
My activity of late in the machine shop is producing kindling for the wood stove and making half a$$ed attempts at creating a semblance of order to the work bench.

Had the first sort of sticking snow Sunday. Snow shovel still works to clear a clean trail to the wood shed and shop. Homemade chicken soup tonight to warm us up.

Tom