Old Guys V twin & sidecar

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete I use lots of Far East parts & the forks $20. shipped is typical across the board & this isn't slow boat delivery. My forks were delivered under 10 days. I have two more forks coming from CNOL & shipping is free on one and $20. on the other. Product type has never made a difference bolts to electronics or raw products no difference I can tell. A 70 lb. motorcycle engine was right at $100. bucks total shipping. I've never seen a customs duty on hundreds of items I've brought in from China. Actually I've not felt burdened with the cost of shipping from the U.K. either. While all this is great for the U.S. consumer it's a burden on our balance of trade with others who are more restrictive & hard for me to justify policy wise. Some balance would be nice. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hope you don't mind me stepping in here but in Canada we have the same problem though not as heavy handed as the U.K. After the first $20 Canadian {$15.66} U.S. we pay duty. The U.S tax thresh hold is $800.00.

A $100 U.S. bicycle part would break down like this bought in the U.S..

$127.73 Canadian dollars {exchange.}
$17.32 Taxes.
$16.60 Duty
$161.66 Total in Canadian dollars.

Now we're not finished yet. There's shipping costs and Heaven help you if FedEx, U.P.S , or any of the other bandits get their sticky fingers on it because there are "Brokers" fees for getting it through customs. Add $19.95 to the cost for that service plus the shipping costs.

The final cost will be well over $200.00 Canadian for the part I just bought in the U.S. Other countries vary in shipping if one of the major shippers isn't involved but the base cost is the same since the world trades in U.S. dollars.

I usually ask to have it sent by mail. Our post office charges $10 delivery if they send out a truck and it's free if the Postal Carrier delivers it. They usually only collect the 5% government sales tax and not the provincial tax. It is what it is and you pay or do without.

Steve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Steve,
I hear you. If you want/need something bad enough, you pay whatever it costs.
That said, there are rare times when it isn't always costly to import certain stuff into the UK from the colonies. In November 2015 I purchased a '41 Buick Special Sedanette from a seller in Toronto, Canada. Updated UK customs rules allowed cars over 30 years old in 'original' condition to be imported with zero-rated duties and only 5% VAT (normally 20%). Those factors, combined with a ruling exchange rate at the time of Canadian$2.02 = 1 UK Pound Sterling ensured I got a great deal on the Buick. Sadly, since the Brexit vote in mid '16, Sterling's exchange rates have plummeted 20-25%, so such a window of opportunity has vanished.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete & Steve this appears a teachable moment for many enthusiasts. I was partially aware that those living outside the States dealt with shipping costs including duties, tariff's and taxes, but to have it spelled out in some detail is quite illuminating. Prior to my "official" retirement in 1990 & the subsequent sale of my company; I exported my products and services to dozens of governments and Companies on our State Departments approved partners list. Most of these transactions had to be State approved, by line item as a one time transaction. Paperwork was endless & dependable brokers & international banking on each end was imperative. On quite a few of these transactions Canada was the primary designated destination dictated by our State Department & then two stepped to the final destination, thus multiplying the difficulties of paper, planning, bottlenecks & costs. Others just went to a military airfield & this eliminated all the above....guess which ones I preferred.

I like many are spoiled by the current low costs of buying imported goods, but this could morph at the stroke of a legislators pen or even the whim of an non elected bureaucrat. Like you Pete I don't want to get into the politics, ours or others, but a lot more, both positive & negative could be justly considered. I for one will continue to enjoy the current exchange rates & our current lax import policies though tomorrow....? Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The mail rates in the U.S. are high. It cost me $30 Canadian to send the clutch to Pennsylvania and $45.58 U.S. to send it back. The $60 U.S. repair cost $138.07 Canadian.

Gas where I live is $5.76 Canadian for 4 liters. One U.S. gallon equals 3.78 liters. Sure beats walking though.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
PeteMcP, great choice of a car from that era. The gas prices in the U.K. must make driving that road yacht an expensive proposition. Raised in Toronto although I haven't been back since 1979. Were the shipping costs high? Was It hard to get the M.O.T. done?

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
We have our own problems with N.A.F.T.A. {North American Free Trade Act.} renegotiation's that makes it easy for goods to travel between Canada, the U.S., and Mexico. The U.S. wants Canada to up the amount of tax free goods that we can buy to equal the $800 that the U.S. allows before we have to pay taxes and duty. The businesses here are fighting like mad to stop that. Of course the rest of us are hoping it goes through.

Rick, the politicians love to talk about free trade and then put as many obstacles in the way to slow it down as possible.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Has the clutch arrived Steve? I'm hoping it's a thing of beauty and a joy forever considering the costs you've wrapped up in her, but the tri-car up & styling will be glorious & priceless! Though it's the build that some of us are addicted to; it's also nice to finally enjoy the ride. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The clutch arrived yesterday Rick. It is on the bike and works great. Yes, it is the build that I'm addicted to much more than the riding of it. Like the furniture I built over the years I tend to lose interest once it's done. The tri car though will most likely be with me for the rest of my years. Some things just never grow old and this will be one of them.

Were your going to put the 3D clutch you have on a jack shaft?

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Wow Steve great to hear the update on the clutch and car! It's been quite a journey for that innovation, but know it made a better build.

The use of the 3-D on the Predator will ultimately depend on the frame selected. If it's a Sportsman I'll mount the clutch on the motors 3/4" shaft. On a custom frame I could go either way.

Since 3-D has not brought out a clutch to fit the 1" shaft motors a jack shaft based 3-D clutch and a 3/4" shaft should hold up under 25 or 30 hp I'd guess, but I'm just thinking ahead to my Predator V-twin setup on down the road.

I'll not build this 212 cc out much... just stiffer valve springs to allow a couple thousand more rpm's without float, rev limiter removed, larger carb & free flowing exhaust and an ARC billet flywheel. No pull start just bump and go! Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

[[ PeteMcP, great choice of a car from that era. The gas prices in the U.K. must make driving that road yacht an expensive proposition. ]]

I have a friend with an American motorhome with a 6l V8 in it, and it runs on lpg as the UK duty is far lower than petrol; even better, if you have an lpg domestic heating tank, the tax is even lower than that. The same rules apply to cars, and up and down the country, home owners have developed a rash of big white tanks.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Petrol here is a $1.40-$1.45 a liter currently and propane is 78 cents a liter. Cost to convert a vehicle runs between $3,000 and $6,000 Canadian. I don't know if there is any government help with the cost of the conversion.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was in the garage today, Rick, with a lot of creative staring going on. More than a little muttering as well. I guess if you make up your mind to be a rule breaker it's necessary to be prepared to be inventive.

Steve.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
UOTE="fasteddy, post: 662880, member: 5715"]PeteMcP, great choice of a car from that era. The gas prices in the U.K. must make driving that road yacht an expensive proposition. Raised in Toronto although I haven't been back since 1979. Were the shipping costs high? Was It hard to get the M.O.T. done?

Steve.[/QUOTE]
My '41 Buick guzzled fuel alright. 15-17mpg at best. 75 quid to fill her up. Worth it though, just to hear the rumble of that 4.1 litre straight eight. Shipping wise, I used a UK-based import agent and he organized every aspect of transportation, including getting the car from the seller to the rail depot in Toronto, transport via rail to Halifax docks, overseas shipment to Liverpool then truck haulage to my door in Northumberland. The up-front shipping quote for all this was a little under 2K (including marine insurance) which I reckoned was very fair.
Had the vehicle inspected by a pal in Toronto prior to purchase and he sent me a 3-page written report and 60 photos, rating the car 9/10. Hard to believe really, when this ex-Cali Buick's asking price was half that of similar (and not so nice) '41 Sedanettes I'd seen offered in the US. I bought the Buick with every intention of fitting air suspension and slamming it. However, soon as I saw the Buick roll up on the delivery truck, I realized this survivor was waaay too nice to fool around with.
The UK's MOT laws mean that older cars (25 years and over I believe, Ludwig will tell me if that's wrong) are MOT exempt. For my own peace of mind I submitted the Buick for an MOT and it sailed through the test. All I did prior to the test was purchase/fit replacement headlights which dipped the opposite way to the originals. And the original master cylinder had a drip so I replaced it with a new one shortly after the test.
Over the coming months I felt the need to put my own stamp on her, so I re-did the badly faded faux wood finish on the stamped metal window/screen mouldings and dash using high quality wood-grained vinyl wrap. Another first for me - and I was ecstatic with the results. Also fitted rear fender skirt re-pops, mirrors and 6v fog lamps sourced from the US.
Ran her trouble-free until Oct '16, by which time my wife Jen's dementia symptoms were becoming such a demand on my time, car usage had dwindled to almost nothing, so I figured it was time me and old cars were done. Broke my heart to see the Buick go - but it helped that I doubled my investment selling her to a millionaire Scottish haulier with his own collection of more than 20 classics housed in his own purpose built man cave/showroom. He sent me pics of the Buick in its new surroundings and I know she's being appreciated and cared for.
Now I can look forward to frittering-away what little free time I have in between caring for Jen by building motorized bicycles.... yay!

blagdon buick.jpg 005.JPG 008.JPG FSCN3321.JPG FSCN3319.JPG FSCN3315.JPG

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Adaptability to adversity Ludwig. Currently our prices on petroleum products of all types are relatively inexpensive compared to your own, which difference seems to be mostly due to taxes and duties. Your North Sea Brent & our own vast fields of production minus government manipulation equals realistic market prices and profits. Proximity to production fields lower transfer costs if refining capacity is developed...again government involvement relying on "environmental issues" is employed to gain desired outcomes for a few. If you can't tell I'm a free market guy lol!

Now Steve you don't have to remind me that doing it your way creates some real drama.& "creative staring" is one of the reasons for getting oneself into such situation, but is also ultimately how one extracts his fat from the flame. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOL my "creative staring " come after i wake up at about 3 am dreaming about how i am to do it, toss and turn. Then when i do get out to the shop it is more of a confirmation stare, yep maybe, OK. Then after lunch take a nap to catch up on loss of sleep.

Pete that is one nice car, sure glad its in good hands ............Curt

Last edited: