Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Grain sllos are an interesting back drop Rick! So how is the ride?

Tom
I'm a fan of grain mills, elevators, silos and rail sidings. This complex has it all, but Ionly show the bins. 100 foot to the top and it's a good view up top as well

The ride has been great from the jump Pete two years of riding and the bike suited me and still does. Sportsman Flyer products are great! I've had it setup with 72v and putting out 10.5 hp and down to as little as 2.5hp with 48v. This setup should be almost 3.5 hp but I really think 5hp will be about perfect for tjis gearing. The thing is I need to see how the reduction sprocket works with this watt output before changing anything else in the power train.

My ride today included some hills and I was suprised at how much torque I had with so little motor speed. I'm not kidding 22 mph on level road is all it's got. I plan on rewiring the phase wires and Hall sensors Monday to regain my 3 power selections and keep the motors counter rotation. It's a tedious process which took me a half day to complete a few months back on another sensored, brushless motor. That reverse wire will be eliminated for good. Non sensored brushless motors are simple to change motor direction. Swap any 2 phase wires and your golden. Actually a top quality programmable controller is worth the money and makes direction change quick and easy. My Schwinn build has a programmable VESC controller 36v but @ 100 amps and half the weight of the Ol' Crow. It's another V twin motor case, but scaled down for the smaller Schwinn frame.

Hope your getting some riding in Tom. Even with the heat dome morning rides are nice here before lunch.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Clean, crisp, vintage lines for the bike. Hard to believe that it isn't gas powered.

Steve
Thanks Steve I value your input.

Some actually do think it burns gas even when I've told them it's electric. The pedal side is pretty convincing already. I'm leaving the case covers off on the motor drive side for access while tinkering and testing.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I ordered a new IR digital temp unit, a laser tachometer, clamp style ac/dc amp meter and a variable dc power supply. I plan on doing several more motors and controllers and having test equipment can really accelerate the process, not just solving the reverse motor rotation. Having wireless instruments instant readouts can help me make better sense of equipment performance and promote safer component testing.

I've decided the seemingly misterious reversal of motor rotation occured after I accidentally shorted a high voltage & amp circut. A quick check and all seemed well but I didn't check the rotation. At any rate I knew I caused it and this seems to be my best explanation of the change. What other damage the controller suffered, if any, is to be seen. Controllers are easily damaged along with BMS but both are relatively inexpensive items.The FETS used in the Hall sensors of the motor are also inexpensive to replace.

I have several controllers and an extra motor I can use for replacements if needed.

Old guys need to work puzzles to keep their minds healthy "They" say so my bikes provide new puzzles frequently.

Just tooling up my tech bench as required.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
"Old guys need to work puzzles to keep their minds healthy "They" say so my bikes provide new puzzles frequently."
Kinda figured it is your Modus Operandi Rick. What's an old boy spouse to do if he can't find a rocking chair that fits his a$$?
Carry on Sir, we are all rooting for you. Might want to touch heads with Tony01.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Got going on the Schwinn e V-twin again today and now have the motor case securely mounted in frame.Now I can set up the offsets for primary and secondary chain lined to get dimensions to machine the reduction sprocket drive. The case is about half scale to fit in a cruiser style frame. Weight with 36v 20 amp hr battery should be about 75 lbs. I think I'll need low gearing on this setup so I have a 54 tooth sprocket on the rear as and I 'll run 2 to 1 reduction from motor to reduction shaft

I plan on working inside on the Schwinn during the heat of the day. Ol' Crow in the mornings outside while it's cool. Try to move both projects forward that way.

Rick C.

20220801_164848.jpg
20220801_164812.jpg
20220801_140959.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Motor is mounted in the case with sprocket. Had to verify position to determine the width of my reduction bracket which will be very narrow only 1.5" or so. The motor sprocket is a 10 tooth. Which will drive a 28 tooth which is a 2.8 to 1 ratio
And I should be able to drive a 14 t to the 54 tooth rear. This ratio is lower than I mentioned earlier but the big 54t is really the easiest for me to change out if the speed is too limited with this sprocket selection and I have a lot of different rear sprockets I can choose from: 48, 44, 40 and 36 tooth are all in my parts collection.

Photos show fasteners sticking out of the case an inch or so but that was just easiest to do with what I had handy at the time. It all comes back out now anyway as I have more to do on the case and the motor is just in harms way at this time.

4000 watts continuous is a lot of power at 36v so amps are 110 continuous to reach that number. The motor is rated at 4000 watts continuous and the controller is too. The controller uses 100 volt caps so I would think the controller could easily take 48v but those that have tried it at 48v and 110 amp burned stuff up! Not a good idea to me.

I may receive some of my test gear tomorrow but if not I've got the Schwinn Excelsior to work on.

Hope you guys are building, riding or both.

Rick C.

20220803_164421.jpg
20220803_164504.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I cannot tell a lie, ain't done squat in over a month. Our retirement accounts have taken a big hit and that took the wind out of me and me not working any more.
Poor excuse but it's what I got.

Tom
Tom I took a big break over the Winter and just thought and studied about various things not all dealt with bike building but I did add to my tool collection and way overspent my budget. Fixed income no matter the cuantity is fixed. So I had the tools but decided to not spend any more hobby money for a few months. That ship sailed this month but I didn't go overboard with it.

It's a hobby and when it causes economic stress of any magnitude we are better off taking care of the primary necessities of life and not our pastimes.

I started my pedal bracket/jack shaft for the Schwinn this afternoon and made good progress on it. Simpler design than the last few I've made. I won't machine the reduction gear until I finish the jack shaft and mount it on the bike. That helps get the chains close to perfect, that and having the motor case set up in it's final frame position. I have some wiggle room as well.

I weighed the V-twin case with e motor and they weigh almost 20 lbs together with controller. Very light weight. Case is 18 lbs of that.

So I'm back to building at my pace and schedule which are both still pretty slow.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rewire day for the Ol' Crow electric V-twin. As it is in reverse, which is 20% rpm, and still rolls 20 mph. I expect getting the motor direction back to counterclockwise and in full speed mod will be a pleasant result. This is a dual speed switched motor as well as a separate reverse switch. I've a few wires to reconnect. I rewired the Schwinn power components yesterday so I'm optimistic that this will not be a complete disaster.

Got to get started.....

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ol' Crow flies again! Rewire was time consuming but resulted in sub 1 amp no load draw at a nominal 4500 rpm and motor turning in the correct counter clockwise rotation. The low draw exceeded my goal by 100%. Heat is the number one enemy of e motor components and starting with low amp draw is a big deal once loads are applied.

I'll mount the GPS speedo today to confirm what I feel is double the 22 mph locked speed Prior to the rewire. With the reduction drive ratio it may be slightly under 40mph torque is up.

Getting back to the Schwinn electric V Twin I should have the drive train installed with the reduction drive, chained up and rideable this week. I will start with 36 tooth rear in place of the big 56 tooth rear sprocket. Several factors involved in this and high speed isn't one of them. Efficient motor speed is, back to wasting energy through heat generation.

This Schwinn aluminum frame reproduction with Sunlight dual spring forks tracked well at 35mph using a 66cc China girl, but I may extend the wheelbase by 4" for improved tracking. I did this mod on my hybrid Grubee and it made a big difference at higher speeds. I also prefer horizontal rear axle drops for efficient two chain management. The bolt on aluminum and steel laminate extension plates have survived a lot of miles on the Grubee without problems and have eliminated short WB tracking issues. Really makes a difference in riding fast and with confidence.

I still plan a rear rack and saddlebags for batteries and not using the fuel tank for anything at this time.

First things 1st. get her running and ride for awhile. The rest can wait. At any rate riding is fun and not at all work.

Rick C.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
To speed the Schwinn to an actual state of road readyness I've ordered leather bags for the batteries and controller as well as an off the shelf rear steel rack which probably won't suit me but will hasten the process along. If I stretch the wheelbase any rack used now will need replacing. Bags are large enough to hold 48v 9 p packs if wanted in the future.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I rode Ol' Crow for an hour this morning and it was perfect weather I hated to stop riding but have a lot to get done. The reduction drive seems to be working well and all three chains track perfectly.
I 'm not sure why but this bike pedals great for a heavy bike. It's geared pretty low so it's good for up to 8mph with hardly any effort on level road or even slight inclines. The only change I made was a new chain. Magic chain? I run almost 60 lbs in the Vee tires but that's what I've always ran. Anyway I like it when I can pedal without using a motor.

Speed is fine now and motor was cool after the ride. I did hills etc. It purrs at 30 with no component heating. Nothing more than warm to the touch after the hills.

Hope the Schwinn reduction gear works as well.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Schwinn primary chain adjustment will be to lift the motor case by just loosening the tube clamps, the toggle strap connection between tube clamp and case mount allows this to function. The problem is I need to lower my motor housings overall height to accommodate such adjustment. So simple a solution I almost overlooked it.

Rick C.

20220811_134100.jpg
20220811_134022.jpg
20220811_140303.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Alterations to the Ol' Crow.

Spring tensioner was a bit noisy due to chain length so I shortened the chain and she happy now and not so noisy.

Next I decided to set the 3 speed to high on the controller and it made a noticeable difference, but not dramatic. I think mph differerence is 2 to 3 .mph between the 3 selections. I rode at higher speeds on varied terrain today for over an hour and had no heat issues or issues of any type.

Weak link on this build is the controller and that's easy to solve with a different one. This controller is marked as a 40 amp but I doubt it's even 30 amps. Very weak but at least it doesn't heat up. I will probably order a Vesc Flipsky controller, which are fully programable and if anything underrated on current output and voltage. Also they are very small in physical size and run cool.

Well one issue of my own doing occurred when I switched the wiring from moderate to "high" speed setting. The bike had no power. Turns out one pin in the Hall connector had disconnected during the speed change process of moving the mass of wiring, the pin lock didn't engage and the pin backed out just enough to lose contact but still was in the plug housing so it wasn't very noticeable. A new pin locked in properly so it's all good now.

Shout out to Pat at Sportsman Flyer for this great looking frame which also rides and handles great!

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Another one hour ride and Crow's back on the charger, a small 2 amp charger, to see how long it takes to charge after a 1 hour ride. Yesterday
the charge rate was impressive. I attempted the same varied riding and no pedal assit today and a precise 1 hour long duration. I'll let you know how long.

The controller remains my only complaint yet it works and actually can motivate pretty well. It will get replaced though.

Turning to the Schwinn build I'm within a week of having it to the same completion level as the Ol' Crow & fully functional for extended test rides. Old Guy still having fun and making progress at a snail's pace. Reduction gear and bottom bracket jack shaft complete and mounted as are two of the three chains. Line up really well and have chain lengths as close as I can get them at this point. No problems with them. I replaced the 56 tooth with a 36 t sprocket. Looks better at least though I may have gone a little overboard with this small sprocket. I modified the motor case height to allow adjustment of the primary chain and now I can remount the V-twin case with motor installed in it on the frame. So that plus seat post and saddle pan alteration to allow space for a rear rack to be installed are small jobs to keep me busy till battery, rack and saddlebags arrive. The thumb throttle actually shipped from a state side distributors stock so it's also in route. The leather saddlebags from India ship really fast and Fed Ex has them already in country to deliver Friday. Several small items coming as well but nothing which would hold up progress on the Schwinn.

I'm more excited about the Schwinn at this point as I've had the Crow on the road for a couple of years with different drive trains and power configurations. It's a known quantity except for the reduction gear setup and the funky controller. The Schwinn is quite a different project. Factory style frame with 60% scale V-twin electric motor case. Outrunner style sensored brushless with Flipsky Vesc controller and only a 10s 36 v. 20 amp hr (7P) battery. Pretty lightweight for a motorized cruiser frame, about 70 pounds with one battery is my guess so almost 100 pounds lighter than the Ol' Crow and with similar wattage outputs at least for now.

I can't wait to ride her. She was fun with a 66cc China Girl mounted and really felt sporty to ride rapidly. Good handling bike all around so I know what she was before the e reduction drive train was added. Bottom end torque should be off the rails compared to the 66cc setup.

Guys enjoy your week if you want to.

Rick C.

20220814_085643.jpg
20220814_085713.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Charge took about 2.5 hrs so the Ol' Crow was about half discharged. Seems to be decent range from the 48v 20 amp pack.

36v battery and rear rack came in late yesterday for the Schwinn and bags are in Fed Ex Memphis and scheduled for Friday delivery. Getting closer to a ride!

Schwinn back in the shop for completion. Weather forecast for 10 days is really mild so Fall is close at hand. Riding a lot is my plan through November.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Absolutely a beautiful day here in Indian Territory and I got after it early and stayed at it till about 2:30 and can definitely say I didn't accomplish much and I'm being quite optimistic at that. Some days are just sound and fury which signify nothing and I was just due one. After I organized my work space the Fed Ex guy brought my saddle bags and I'm quite satisfied with them so now I have the basics to get the Schwinn on the road. Things already looking better!

For tomorrow I have a couple of things laid out and well thought through and that's what I should have done today instead of chasing my tail all day.

Tom we get to enjoy the migrations of so many species through the Fall birding is typicically quite good here and some years many birds just make this their Winter home.

Rick C.