Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Rick, it almost seems like Burning Man hours. It was late afternoon til sunrise do carousing, then when it gets shuteye til it was too hot. Then spray water mist cooling and drink cool beers in the shade. Repeat for a week and then go back to default world again. Don't know if I'm going to be back doing that stuff again. Didn't try for a ticket for this August/September 2022. Going motorcross in National Forest I am thinking October when it is cooler.

Any knowledge of how these portable swamp coolers may work? I know I am not hoping to cool a house, nor even a room. Just be able to be close to one with oscillating fan. I have been amazed by a huge size outdoor swamp cooler that was feeding air through a window in a friends trailer. In front of it I was needing to move away from being directly in front being too cold. An AC to use would be something to have but then I have an issue with rent going up. Multiple people pay but only one meter. These portable swamp coolers are for a respectable size only 150 to 250 watts.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Yikes Rick! 113F-120F temps? 2 days of record high temps here in southern UK (not here in Alnwick which was 27C yesterday, hottest day of the year here) and folks are talking like it's the end of the world. I'm sick of hearing about it. Folk sayin they have the right not to go into work because it's hot. Demanding employers provide air con. Whut!! For two days a year fer - - - -'s sake?! End of the week London whingers will be complaining about the cold and wet summer resuming - which Scotland has had all year so far anyway and you don't hear the Scots complaining. Or see their damp squib of a summer plastered all over the BBC news! I'm sat having breakfast here, watching a TV debate where some left-leaning numpty is putting all the blame for climate change on 12 years of Conservative government! AAAARGH!!! There's no escape from these - - - - wits!

Good luck with your night shift. COOL idea! Hope your Ol' Crow test ride goes to plan.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
5:00 am coffee break Tom. So yeah crazy toons here at times but does cool off some after midnight. I made some progress this morning and hope to keep at it today moving inside to remount everything and wire it etc.

This is "No country for old men"!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick, it almost seems like Burning Man hours. It was late afternoon til sunrise do carousing, then when it gets shuteye til it was too hot. Then spray water mist cooling and drink cool beers in the shade. Repeat for a week and then go back to default world again. Don't know if I'm going to be back doing that stuff again. Didn't try for a ticket for this August/September 2022. Going motorcross in National Forest I am thinking October when it is cooler.

Any knowledge of how these portable swamp coolers may work? I know I am not hoping to cool a house, nor even a room. Just be able to be close to one with oscillating fan. I have been amazed by a huge size outdoor swamp cooler that was feeding air through a window in a friends trailer. In front of it I was needing to move away from being directly in front being too cold. An AC to use would be something to have but then I have an issue with rent going up. Multiple people pay but only one meter. These portable swamp coolers are for a respectable size only 150 to 250 watts.
MT we used swamp coolers when I was a kid. If you keep a little water flowing over the pads they work well. Your right though the fan speed really blows!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yikes Rick! 113F-120F temps? 2 days of record high temps here in southern UK (not here in Alnwick which was 27C yesterday, hottest day of the year here) and folks are talking like it's the end of the world. I'm sick of hearing about it. Folk sayin they have the right not to go into work because it's hot. Demanding employers provide air con. Whut!! For two days a year fer - - - -'s sake?! End of the week London whingers will be complaining about the cold and wet summer resuming - which Scotland has had all year so far anyway and you don't hear the Scots complaining. Or see their damp squib of a summer plastered all over the BBC news! I'm sat having breakfast here, watching a TV debate where some left-leaning numpty is putting all the blame for climate change on 12 years of Conservative government! AAAARGH!!! There's no escape from these - - - - wits!

Good luck with your night shift. COOL idea! Hope your Ol' Crow test ride goes to plan.
Morning Pete. The long siesta does work. As a youth I used to plow and work hay at night on the tractor and take a 4 or 5 hr siesta mid day, then hit it again. Those who grew up here are used to it, but 10 to 30 days of 100 plus days wears us old guys down. So I'm just reverting to what I know works.

Reporters here or there are like politicians all about the same cut of cloth...pathetically weak. A real days work would kill them in bunches.

I'm still having fun and coffee break is about over.

Photo as she sits now at dark thirty.

Rick C.

20220719_052324.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, that kind of heat is becoming more common as time moves forward. The politicians believe they can change nature by adding carbon taxes to fuel and heating oil prices here in Canada but no one can explain to me who's paying the carbon taxes on the massive forest fires raging around the world that are spewing debris into the atmosphere, negating the miserly bit of air pollution savings the politicians efforts are creating if there are any at all.

Years ago some one said that Reporters and Ladies of the Night were on the same level. My argument was and still is that the ladies are honest about what their work is.

Ol' Crow is is an inspiration as always. Most of the van repairs are done so I can get back to the bikes.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pete, it's 62F at 9am. With luck it will get to the upper 70's by 6pm and above all it's sunny in my part of British Columbia. On the other side of the mountains or six hours inland they are not so lucky. Much of it is High Desert with desert like temperatures. We get rain in the off season and they get snow and lots of it. If someone suffers from Seasonally Affected Disease because of long dark and wet weather this is not the place to be. U.K. weather at it's finest.

Our saving grace is the Pacific Ocean and it's also a curse. Rain comes in and can't continue across the province because it come up to the mountains and can't get over them so the rain falls on us and the eastern section of the province has desert conditions. Their water comes from snow melting.

Stupidity doesn't have a political party. Here in Canada the right wing opposition also called Conservatives who are the Official Opposition, voted by 54% to toss out their party leader because he wanted to include that climate change is real and happening in their party platform.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Steve for your input. It's time for afternoon coffee and think I'll try to get a few hours of sleep about 3:30 or 4:00 it's 100 percent overcast and 112 degrees real temp, not heat index. Hotest afternoon temps still to come at 4:00. How can it be that hot at this latitude, with thick cloud cover? I hope it stays cloudy as a clear sky would be brutal.

I have the motor case back in the frame and cut a chain for the primary drive and lined it up. I modified a spring loaded chain tensioner for the primary chain, but the heat drove me indoors about noon and I still need to machine a couple of aluminum parts for the tensioner to work, but I'll wait to get back on the mill when it cools down a little. I don't have enough 420 chain for the final drive and I don't want to run spliced chain so I'm ordering some today.

Social and political stuff worldwide is worse than Hollywood morals and just as make believe. Crisis one after another. No sense of reality. I'd like to train them up and dump a full company of them along the Eastern Ukraine front and let them sort out Global warming and world hunger. Peace and equality for all where eveyone is a winner and gets a trophy while covering up under heavy barrage. Reality gets real when your getting your butt shot off! No time to figure out what sex you are just barely enough time to cover up. The ones who survived would come back with a different attitude.

Glad I'm not in charge as things would definitely be messed up. See what hot weather does to me? I actually feel bad for young people on either side of any war. They are just stuck like Chuck.

Rick C.

20220719_135724.jpg
20220719_135459.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Back to nearer normal temps today 106 high forecast, not cool, but yesterday was brutal in contrast. Cloudy all day so who knows how hot it could have been?

Yes it reached113 yesterday at 4:00. I count that a blessing with he clouds.

Shop temp about 90 right now and the floor fan really helps. Not bad at all. I have several parts to machine. Spring chain tensioner is the first on my list.

True screwups with chains. My final drive chain was a 420 pieced together. I cut it for use as the primary chain "Thinking" I had a new 420 chain on the shelf. Wrong it wasn't a 420. So chains ordered Monday delivery perhaps. "Best laid plans of mice & men..."

The bright side is no great rush to beat the heat today 'cause it's still hot at 4:00 am!

I mounted the case side plates to the right side. Just takes a couple of minutes. Not much to change this side but the drive side needs work and not just cosmetic. That primary chain is a saw so a guard is an absolute necessity. Pedals are wide enough to clear a guard.

To this point I see motor cooling as being improved, that hadn't been an issue but yesterday reminded me it could be problem here in theTerritory.

Rather than mount a fender I may add a rack for saddle bags. I like the look even on a track style bike and love the daily utility plus they make great battery bags for extra range. As most of you know I'm not a fan of fenders on "My" bikes. So I know I can run both rack and fender but won't.

Need to scoot!

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Nice progress. I can see Ol' Crow's upcoming primary cover working a treat Rick. I reckon the bike'll look even better with the cover.

Installing a rack - even without a rear fender - gets my vote. Did that on my Gnome Rhone 125. Just bought one (which I'll slightly modify) for the Munro, along with a pair of those super nice brown leather saddlebags from India. Means the bike can be used for a quick trip to the local store. Practicality over looks every time. Rack can always be demounted in just a few seconds if need be.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
My thoughts as well Pete. I've 4 bikes now fitted with racks and two sporting the India leather bags.

Though I like how the rack looks on actual vintage bikes of the early 20th century road bikes; actual board track style is better without rack or bags, but not such a big deal in real life use. Wearing a backpack is fine some times but saddlebags are so useful.

Like you said install and removal can be quite quick and easy though I tend to just leave then on the bikes I ride often.

London burning?

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Scorcher is over for the time being. They predicted record 40 degree temps for the lower half of the country on Mon/Tue and so it was. 40.3C at Gatwick and Coningsby yesterday afternoon is a record high for the UK. News showed film of some houses burning to the ground - which I thought looked more like insurance jobs than anything else if I'm honest. Comfortable 18C here today.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Glad it's cool there Pete. The BBC reports looked bad; almost as bad as their reporting, yet not quote as bad as our networks and cable babble. Hard to get a feel for world events or even local news when opinion reporting eliminates factual and verified content.

I finished the spring loaded chain tensioner this morning and will mount it to the case after lunch.

Rick C.

20220720_103944.jpg
20220720_104102.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Guys that's finished and I'm satisfied that the primary chain is good to go. While I wait for the 420 chain to come in (tracking informs Saturday delivery) I'll connect all the wiring and battery charge.

Drum brakes front and rear need some attention as well. May well require some machine work too.
The electric is bolted to the case so much better now. Strength wise and ease of install and dismounting of the electric motor all improved greatly and it wasn't bad before the changes.

Strengthening the top cylinder brace made a heck of a lot of difference too. I will uprgrade the bottom two case supports as well with stronger links, probably not needed but nows a good time to make sure the case is mounted as well as possible. The Harley tube clamps can't be beat for tube mounts but the connecting links of this motor case need to be heavy duty too.

Rick C

20220720_103944.jpg
20220720_133605.jpg
20220720_133537.jpg
20220720_133632.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Steve, I'm taking the rest of the afternoon off from me labors to coolect my thoughts in the face of the heat.

Our motor cases will be close in weight; I'd be surprised if they vary greatly. So my two cents in the matter. I'm using three HD 1" clamps which may vary from your setup. The links I'm referring to connect the HD clamps to the welded tabs on the V-twin case. One is 2.5" in length and the other is 2" both are 3/4" wide by 1/8". They've held up well but I'm selecting 3/16" steel to aid the 1/8" straps. If my links were much longer I would add some extra width as well.

Neither of these builds of ours will be thrashed about, yet I tend to over build.

I don't recall your motors output, but at one point my 72v 3,000watt was setup with over 100 amps of controller current so that's 9.5 hp or so. The bottom links are still straight but the top cylinder support strap cracked quite noticeably during testing. Your tri car is much heavier than my Ol' Crow so you'll need some torque to get rolling so there's that as well.

I can't wait to see you and Silverbear motoring in your tri cars. Glorious day!

I watched a video on YouTube awhile back that featured a couple of brothers who build board track bikes with a quite nice e-V twin motor case.
$13,000 and I don't think that's delivered. Eastern European product I believe, but it is nice.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,
I finally remembered to look at the motor to see what the data sticker said. It's one of the first generation Cyclones that Sick Bike parts sold they later went to a 3,000W motor.

It's 1,200W and 4,500 rpm on 48v. I'll have 14T on the motor, to 32T, to 10T, to 72T which according to the calculator will give me a ratio of 16.46. Don't know if is workable on not. This gives 21.21 mph. Am I off the mark?

I need to add another motor mount. Two will not be enough.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Steve I run my ratios by using the reduction
jack shaft speed for the motor speed. So for 4500 rpm motor speed I divide that by the reduction ratio 2.286 to find the jack shaft speed which is 1968 rpm. This is used in place of the actual motor speed in the calculator. I then use actual tire diameter, I plugged in 26" and the 7.2 to 1 final drive ratio.

Calculator shows 21.21 mph with the above info and 7.21 to 1 0verall ratio. Which sounds right in my mind, but odd it came out the same as the
simple final 2 sprocket ratio 10 and 72 tooth yields.

If manufacturer motor speed is an unloaded rpm number. Then the speed will be lower. This lack of standards in marketing motors is troubling to me. "Buy our motor and see if it works because it's the best", kind of logic.

I couldn't find an answer so I guess having a tach and doing a hu no load test to get a baseline on each motor then set a bike up and test real world speed then punch the numbers in the calculator to see how much off the speeds are.

Several of the electrics I've tested vary by up to 30 percent slower than the calculators theoretical speeds. The higher the speed the less the percentage of difference was.

To answer your question I think with a 72 tooth rear you can easily drop to a 54 tooth and to stay around 20 mph and that's a stately ride! Actually that 72 t should be a torque monster with that much reduction and the calculator may be spot on.

At any rate I think your in the ball park gearing and power wise. I would think a 48v 30 amp battery output and 20 amp hr capacity, and perhaps with a controller of continuos 50 amp output would really climb with two on board.

I tried going with two Harley tube clamp motor mounts but decided to add the cylinder head mounts. I feature your V twin case is about the same height as mine and that's a lot of torque leverage against just two mounts.

Rick C.