New Group: The 20MPH Club

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I truly enjoyed that day Russell. You are a good Man and a wealth of knowledge. Was really cool and I thank you.

(I lost the pics you took on the bridge!)

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
2 wheel ZEN is best taken in at at 20 mph , i have sold off every motorcycle i have owned at times , but have always had a bicycle around , my great grand father had a 1917 Indian power plus that he rode from CA to TN when he was discharged from the US Calvary in 1919 , a lot of times i don't like riding my 750's and 1000's cause 55 mph is just too fast to take all the ZEN in .....

i mean it is still a bicycle, they are not safe at speeds over 30 mph ,and they were not designed for speeds over 30 mph ...

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I dunno, I can run just over 25mph, and my old touring bikes could hit 40 easy.

Even BMX riders are hitting some serious speed, if not for a long time.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I agree I could do 27 on a slight down hill on the mountian bike trail by my house and used to do 40 easy every other weekend riding down Mt Lemmon on road bikes and my mountian bike. But, if you are talking about a cheap huffy or other major retail store sold brands then ya they were not designed at all to do over 30.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Ok ,I see how to stay in the club in the last 10-15 postings how this 20 mph average works, you go 4 miles at 5 mph and 1 mile at 80 mph and divide by 5 =20mph(I will never catch up if I do the 5mph thing lol)
Ok just kidding ,5 mph for 3 miles and then 9 miles at 25 mph and devide the total hours into it = 20,is that better lol xct2

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
Ok just kidding ,5 mph for 3 miles and then 9 miles at 25 mph and devide the total hours into it = 20,is that better lol xct2
Ok, I'm going to play the professor. No, that is not correct.

average speed (mph) = total distance (mi)/total time (hr).

Your total distance = 3 mi + 9 mi = 12 mi

Your total time = 3 mi/5 mph + 9 mi/25 mph = 0.6 hr + 0.36 hr = 0.96 hr.

Therefore, your average speed = 12 mi/0.96 hr = 12.5 mph (not 20 mph)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok, I'm going to play the professor. No, that is not correct.

average speed (mph) = total distance (mi)/total time (hr).

Your total distance = 3 mi + 9 mi = 12 mi

Your total time = 3 mi/5 mph + 9 mi/25 mph = 0.6 hr + 0.36 hr = 0.96 hr.

Therefore, your average speed = 12 mi/0.96 hr = 12.5 mph (not 20 mph)
So now he cannot be in the club because he's driving too slow.:protfl

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
O well I know what I wrote wrong now ,,,3 hrs(instead of miles) at 5 mph(15),,,and 9 hrs at 25 mph(225),then 240/12=20

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Hey, where are all of the guy's from the other board? Thought I saw a post by Kerf after all of the twisters? Was worried one sucked him up and dropped him off in NY??? LOL, hope all is well down there!

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Hey, where are all of the guy's from the other board? Thought I saw a post by Kerf after all of the twisters? Was worried one sucked him up and dropped him off in NY??? LOL, hope all is well down there!
Hi Mort, I made it through unscathed. Had three tornado warnings to contend with yesterday morning before going to work!

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Kerf is still above room temp. Wednesday evening, about 6:30, the wife and I took shelter in the sturdiest part of the basement. Just as the storm took out the local storm tracker on my sat dish, the guy on the radio literally listed my street as in the tornadoes path. My wife and I realized we might not survive this one but it lifted and went over kerf's little piece of the world. As I look at the total destruction where it was on the ground, I guess I'm feeling a little survivors guilt, plenty of thanks to the Almighty but just a little guilt.

I've heard it said that there are no Atheist in fox holes, well there were none in my basement Wednesday evening.

PS
Kerf heard the freight train, not fun.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
By the way,I spent Thursday morning picking up pieces of other peoples lives from my yard. Pieces of roof, insulation, siding and a prescription to a drug store in Tuscaloosa, that's 70 miles away. Dam sad!

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Kerf is still above room temp. Wednesday evening, about 6:30, the wife and I took shelter in the sturdiest part of the basement. Just as the storm took out the local storm tracker on my sat dish, the guy on the radio literally listed my street as in the tornadoes path. My wife and I realized we might not survive this one but it lifted and went over kerf's little piece of the world. As I look at the total destruction where it was on the ground, I guess I'm feeling a little survivors guilt, plenty of thanks to the Almighty but just a little guilt.

I've heard it said that there are no Atheist in fox holes, well there were none in my basement Wednesday evening.

PS
Kerf heard the freight train, not fun.
Good Lord Kerf, I'm glad to hear you're okay. That had to be terrifying. I was on pins and needles myself with the three tornado warnings we had that morning, especially the third one which had my town directly in its sights. But none touched down here, fortunately.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kerf, was going to ask if you had any debris damage if the winds were that close. I saw a very small one once in Florida.
Can't imagine one a mile wide.

Glad you all made it through.

God rest those that didn't.

Steve.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
No damage at all, when it went over it didn't even snap a twig. I woke up at 5:00am Wednesday to a local meteorologist telling us that a squall line had gone through Tuscaloosa with 100 mph straight line winds and was heading to Birmingham. That one shook the trees good.

I knew that the tornado that destroyed Cullman Al. was headed toward Marshall County, where my RV and boat are. This afternoon we tried to call but apparently all the phone and power lines are down. Ala. DOT reports that highway 227, into the resort, is impassable, guess we'll wait and see.

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Don’t know where to start, accept to say glad you’re all ok! Kerf’s account of hearing the train almost made me spit my beer out! Glad it missed you Brother and praying for all the others it didn’t.

My trailer in Machias got hit by straight-line winds, about 85mph worth. Tipped the whole 70 x 14 mobile home on it’s side 45 degrees! I thought it was going over! Rolled me off of the couch (where I was sleeping). Can’t believe it didn’t break my water, electric or gas connections. My chimney and phone had to be replaced. There was a F-1 right down the road that tore through and knocked trees over for about a mile. They do make a wild sound, but I couldn’t fathom one that big! My heart just bleeds for them down there.

Been wondering how everybody was doing, it’s great to hear from you all in one place after not talking for so long! Sorry I’ve been pretty busy, this economy isn’t making things any easier! I haven’t talked to Simon or EW in a while, FE for that matter either. Hope everybody is ok.

That same cell passed over my Sisters place in Hornell (Southern NY) I think Killroy. I heard it was pretty fierce!

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
That account of the Machias wind happened a few years back.

I found a great site that you guys will like a lot! It's like e-bay where you can run auctions for free! But it's better because there are no fees! And you could set up a web store!

Check out my site at WhittlersMama - on Webstore.com Beretta 21A grips.

Click on the "home" link and then join!

I know I could trust you guys as friends, if you like that logo, speak up! I could carve those @ 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" in 1/2 oak, maple or cherry. Could do just about anything custom! A few friends are cabinet makers and put them in Gun cases! They look nice when inlayed (carved in 1/4") or biscuted into 1/2" pannels!

The 21A grips I've been making have sold like hot-cakes, but I'm not seeing the money I should be getting. Everbody has been ranting about them, but nobody has money!

The set on my site are super nice, the picture is crappy tho! I need a new picture because they look like they are dipped in honey! The knotted side has to be re-touched a little, but I can't wait to re-photo when done!

For you guys in the N.E. don't forget to check your clam shell before ridding!!! Mine is off concentricity again this year!

Last edited: