Morgan SuperSports 3-wheeler

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As it may serve to inspire, here's the real deal heh ;)

Vid of Alistair Rew in the Morgan Aero 200 mile at Shelsley Walsh 4th July 2009 (inc a burnout): YouTube - I Hear you Tapping, Alistair Rew up the Hill

A Morgan 3-wheeler factory racer at the BMCRC meeting in 1922. The driver of the car is Harry Martin, the same Harry Martin who won the first ever cyclecar race at Brooklands in 1912. The car seen here is powered by an Anzani 8-valve racing engine. Standing alongside the racer is Mr. Hubert Hagens of the British Anzani factory in Scrubs Lane, Willesden. I think this looks like a great way to spend an afternoon!

MORGAN the World's Leading 3-Wheelers: Technical Details

The chassis of the Morgan three-wheeler consisted of little more than a few lengths of pipe brazed together.

Always faster than they had any right to be, Morgan trikes were trialed, rallied, hill-climbed and raced right from the start of production in 1910. And the men and women who raced these contraptions were among the bravest in an era when on-track courage requirements were as high as the penalties for misadventure were severe.

It consists of little more than a few lengths of pipe brazed together and covered in rudimentary tinwork, with a 1,000-cc Matchless V-twin bike engine up front sprouting drainpipe exhausts and driving its single rear wheel by chain. It would have been capable of hitting a truly alarming 100 mph (160 km/h).

And in contrast to the modern racing era’s five-point harnesses, full-face helmets, fireproof suits and carbon fibre structures, its driver and passenger are wearing motorcycle leathers and “pudding basin crash hats.”

The driver hasn’t even bothered with goggles. No safety harnesses are in evidence, as being thrown out in a crash was considered safer than being strapped in. And using one would have limited the “monkey’s” ability to shift his weight to aid cornering. Trikes often ran in the motorcycle sidecar class, which required a passenger.

The Morgan story began in 1909 when Henry Frederick Stanley Morgan – always known simply as HFS – a railway apprentice turned garage owner and cyclecar enthusiast, built his first motorcycle-engined three-wheeler.

This first Morgan was steered with a tiller, had an independent front suspension all but unique at the time and a high power-to-weight ratio that gave it excellent performance. It launched HFS on a venture that’s still family-owned and now in its 101st year.

Lightweight cyclecars were in vogue at the time, but the three-wheeled variety were considered dangerous by many, which prompted HFS to prove his then-single-seat machines in competition.

On Boxing Day, 1910, he set off on its first competitive outing, the two-day, 300-mile-plus, London to Exeter and back trial, and came home with a gold medal – the first of many his machines powered by a variety of engines would win – and the beginnings of a reputation.

A two-seater appeared in 1911 and a year later HFS drove one at just shy of a mile-a-minute pace on the banked Brooklands circuit to win the Cyclecar Trophy.

The first actual race a Morgan competed in was also at Brooklands that year. Harry Martin – and an unsung passenger who spent the race crouched on the floor under the scuttle to cut wind resistance – dominated the field, lapping at just under 60 mph.

Success continued in 1913, in long-distance reliability trials and speed events, but the high point was achieved across the channel in the Cyclecar Grand Prix at Amiens. One Morgan entry was driven by HFS, but broke a piston. A second had a wheel fall apart, but the third, with Gordon McMinnies at the wheel, won the event outright.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The text says it was 'chain drive' but I definitely see a drive shaft joined to some kind of differential. Then chains to the rear wheel.
The IFS is surely unique for the day. 1000cc? Wow! On three wheels? Scary, for sure.
Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Mr Barelyawake: Your Lifan trike could be Morganised without too many problems you know. Forget all the silly Star Wars styling that gets used on velomobiles these days and go back to the 1920s when folk knew a thing or two.

And forget all those werid superhero bicycling suits that are far too tight fitting and restrict the circulation. All one needs is a cap turned backwards, a pair of splitpane flying googles and a decent tweed jacket. ;)

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Cool find BA , Ive been looking for a pedal car for My son for christmas but that one is a few $$ too much. But really cool.

Tourezrick

Nov 1, 2011
Chicaga
Mr Barelyawake: Your Lifan trike could be Morganised without too many problems you know. Forget all the silly Star Wars styling that gets used on velomobiles these days and go back to the 1920s when folk knew a thing or two.

And forget all those werid superhero bicycling suits that are far too tight fitting and restrict the circulation. All one needs is a cap turned backwards, a pair of splitpane flying googles and a decent tweed jacket. ;)
The mechanic in your Morg photo has an expression that is "priceless". Don't quite know if it is 'wake me when it's over', or 'how did I ever get talked into working on this machine'. Saw one Morg for sale at auction at Road America's VSCDA vintage races. Don't remember if it was the year Phil Hill or Jim Hall or Mario Andretti was Marshal. Pre-dementia, I guess. Really only remember it because it was parked next to a Caterham and in between a Mk 1b and Mk8 McLaren. The little ones sandwiched between the Gp. 7 monsters.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The mechanic in your Morg photo has an expression that is "priceless". Don't quite know if it is 'wake me when it's over', or 'how did I ever get talked into working on this machine'. Saw one Morg for sale at auction at Road America's VSCDA vintage races. Don't remember if it was the year Phil Hill or Jim Hall or Mario Andretti was Marshal. Pre-dementia, I guess. Really only remember it because it was parked next to a Caterham and in between a Mk 1b and Mk8 McLaren. The little ones sandwiched between the Gp. 7 monsters.
I thought his expression was more of the, 'Aw, I thought it was my turn to drive,' variety ;)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, I know it hasn't got 3 wheels, but it's a V twin !

This has got to be my favorite of all time...

Rollie Free setting a speed record on his Vincent.
...as the lady said, nothing but the best personal safety gear...

Attachments