Mongo, 48v 1000w 'Magic Pie' hub on a Mongoose 'Snarl'

GoldenMotor.com

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
that looks like a nice little unit for $23.95. going to do a little research on it. as of right now the one barely awake has link to seems like might be better for the ebikes
That is the cheapest way I know to put a good fuel guage on an ebike.

Yggdrasil

Sep 4, 2011
Greater Bangor Area
Heya barely, i'm gonna be keepin an eye on your mongoose here once you throw a HT on it, got two of these bikes sitting the the cellar just waiting for an idea of how to put a motor on em, never dealt with oversize frames before, these ones look especially... oversized, so i'm not so sure how to proceed. I know i have some threads bookmarked somewhere dealing with this issue, but reckon i'd ask you first since you have the same bike/more relevant information.

Cheers
Ygg

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NP Yggdrasil - but I'd suggest not waiting for me to get one o'these lol;

...as at this point I'm not entirely sure what I'm gonna do, Mongo has turned out so well that the "just a quick test of the ehub" phase has turned into at least two months of constant use so far & I'm kinda tempted to leave it as is & just get another hub for the taddy & another bike for a winter beater - then again if I do that I'll prolly just get another Mongoose Snarl so... erm... yea, I dunno heh

Anyway, I did a quick "test fit" with one of the in-frame kit two smokers by just holding one in there (w/o carb & exhaust) & it seems to have the room, close enough to work with anyway & for the oversized down tube mount I was thinkin' about fabricating something similar to the SBP "large universal front mount";

With an over sized U bolt & steel "pads" (1/2 chunks of pipe) to help diffuse the crush load/crimping force (pics are frm my Rollfast);

...the Mongoose's D tube isn't perfectly round/symmetrical in cross section, so a U bolt clamp may have to be fabricated/modified specifically for it, but that's not a particularly difficult task *shrug*

Good luck & remember to keep us posted!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'd still fill in the gaps with black RTV. I've heard people say it won't stand up to the vibes but it worked on the bike I used it on for quite a while. Sure is cheap stuff. Just goop the stuff on the bike frame and the mount partswhere they meet the frame let er dry then clamp it down sure did take a lot of the vibes out of the bike.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
are your battery's in seperate packs? explaine how that is done please. is it two 24v. how are they wired ect. i am still trying to figure out this battery stuff.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm? Yea, duals for better weight n'balance (mounted low) but now that you mention it, I've no idea how they chose to do it - I just asked www.pingbattery.com to split one into dual packs, they said NP & charged me $10 *shrug*

Seemed like a good deal to me lol

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was thinking the same thing maybe making a 48volt into a 60 volt or something like that however i wouldn't even know where to begin

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hate to sound stupid however lol how exactly would you do this? postive to positive or positive to negative?

Stoney

Jan 23, 2009
santa barbara
It may not be that simple. Barely Awake's set up is split b/w 2 batteries with the same BMS. You would be using different batteries and two different BMS's that is a concern. Don't modify anything until you get educated buy people who have experience with what you want to do - Email Ping/GoldenMotors/possibly other forums/etc. I am appreciating and enjoying everyone's builds!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thanks mike. gonna do a lot of research on this. i wouldn't mind learning to make my own battery packs.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah. I would like to do one too.

Actually I might. The GM pack is 16 cells in series with top screw terminals all connected with metal bars. I saw this when I removed the top to remove the handle. I could actually pull the guts out of the box and custom do an in frame.

But ride first, modify later - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i been looking at the flat battery packs. still need to do a lot more research however i think they might be lighter then the cylinder type. what i would like to do as i learn more is maybe start a thread called batteries for dummy's lol. the bms and all the things about ebikes i am brand new to. shoot never have to work on our motors i want to do something lol. the batteries are the biggest expense and one of the most important parts of all ebikes. i am not positive yet but i have to believe it would be a nice savings if we built our own batteries

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I don't think you are gonna save anything.

But the flexibility of packaging is attractive.

The manufacturers are always going to get a better price than us. They buy lots. We buy few. But buying cells means you have the flexibility of assenbling them into any shape you want.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
dang mike ruin my moment lol. actually this all fascinates me and i think i would enjoy building them. i am going to research it more as i said

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I don't think you are gonna save anything.

But the flexibility of packaging is attractive...
Agreed, after S&H there's not much in the way of savings vs say www.pingbattery.com... but if/when I do another ebike, I'll prolly make my own battery packs anyway.

Here's a link for R&D (components, cells, BMS, etc) - be warned that while I'd order from them, I haven't yet so I know nothing about the business lol: http://www.bmsbattery.com/51-battery-cell

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
great link thank you geoff. ping battery will not ship to the vi for some reason. so searching all options out their