Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Lurker, that is really looking good. I don't know how much planning went into the proportions and angles and such, but so far 2 big ol' thumbs up !

MHF

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks motorhedfred. I'm glad to hear you say that because I have spent so much time over the past few weeks looking at angles I was starting to second guess myself. I have so many different influences from so many bikes that I was afraid it was going to end up looking like a ugly mutt. In the initial planning stages of the bike I spent a tremendous amount of time trying to figure out the geometry of the bike. I think I spent about 6hrs doing a 1:1 scale drawing that I used for most of my measurements. That not to say that things didn't have to be adapted to work, especially after I got the engine. That really changed a few things. Such as the down tube and the cross bar height. But I think It was for the better because now I have room for the battery and all oil cooler.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for that image whitey. The only things that were inspired by Excelsior on this bike so far have been the handle bars a eventually the tank design. Most of it has come for a 1926 harley and a 1911 indian, with some of my own Ideas.

Yes I build in the kitchen, living room, and alley. I live in a small apartment in the city with a few other artists, so you have to be creative with your space.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I got the engine mount all tacked up and ready to be welded this weekend as well as the drive train mocked up. I still need to get a clutch but everything is coming together pretty smoothly (knock on wood). I also included a close up shot of my forks so you guys can see what I did with the triple tree to make it look more vintage.

I would also like to correct myself and say that a 420 chain will NOT fit a 40 sprocket. I ordered mine in a 40 and had to machine them down to fit.

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great looking profile, Lurker!
..You might want to have a look at the Nashmoto suspension seat.
I like it a lot!
It would go very well with your Vtwin, IMO.
Best
rc

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the recommendation rc but that is a little too modern for my taste and I'm young so I will stick with the rigid mount. The engine is actually 630cc not that it really matters at this point but I plan to register it legally as a motorcycle so I don't have to worry about the 5-0. As for the tank I have no Idea how much it will hold but I hope quite a bit, because I would love to do some road trips on this thing when I get it finished and have all the kinks worked out.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im sooooo jealous you are allowed to register this thing. I wish we could in Australia...... you are going to have so much fun on it...... and im guessing you will have people lining up for you to build them one

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really liking your build Lurker. Purty suweet.

If ya have a half torn down engine on yer kitchen or coffee table, you might be a MBer, lol.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Progress!!!! its been a while since I last did a update so here is whats new. Seat has been all sorted out, gas tank mock up is finished, and keystone plates are finished. I have really been procrastinating on the keystone side plates but I finally got a chance to wrap it up.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am still very impressed with this build. Unless you have previously built many identical bikes before, good quality work takes time. Sometimes procrastination is a good thing as doing so allows you the time to think out the fine details that you may have overlooked if you had simply built the first version that popped into your mind.
Thank you for the update!