Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the kind words guys.
I was initially going to use a centrifugal clutch with a similar setup as Pats Sportsman 200 , but the clutch I got did not allow for the chain line I desired so I sent it back. I will now be using a Comet 44 CVT.

The geometry on this bike is a bit crazy I will give you that, but I wanted it to be as low as it could possibly go. With my last build a friend of mine told me it looked like I was riding a rocket, but I didnt think so. So when I was designing this frame I thought that it would be neat if I could make it look like I was riding on some crazy death trap rocket.

The frame has a actual ground clearance of 4 inches but the keystone plates make it 2.5 inches. I am abel to lean the bike over to almost 45 degrees (maybe a bit more) which should be plenty and if not I can always modify or make new side plates.

Last edited:

taylorv817

Nov 30, 2011
arlington, tx
Nice build but couldnt believe that vanguard engine cost 1200 bucks for 23 hp. I think might use a 250 ninja motor with 30 hp with a manual transmission cafe racer build. I think the budget would be 200 bucks for a used motor or the whole used bike. Also parts are ridiculously available and cheaper. But that a great choice u have with the comet cvt. I still wonder if it will roll when the motor is turn or not.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
100mph? I sure hope so. The goal with this bike is to make a rideable, and reliable bike of my own design that embodies the spirit of the late 20's btrs.

I thought about using a real motorcycle engine but the Briggs is so similar to the original engines in terms of size, rpm range and power that it wouldn't make sense to use anything else.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
This thing is going to be a weapon, and i cant wait to see what you do to make the engine look older.

Just wondering what ended up happening with your previous bike? Did you end up selling it? And if so did you get a good price for it? And are you missing it? Must be hard to sell something youve put so much into

taylorv817

Nov 30, 2011
arlington, tx
Hopefully you have front disc brakes with all that weight. front disc brakes is the main brakes for even real motorcycle. the rear my fish tale if you brake to hard.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
real boardtrack mororcycles didnt even have brakes, and certainly didnt have disc brakes. Many motorcycles run drum front brakes and are probably a lot heavier..............just saying :)

taylorv817

Nov 30, 2011
arlington, tx
True, but I remember driving my motorcycle and just trying to use the rear brakes. Even when it was rear disc brakes it felt like it didn't bite, until i hit the front brakes and it stop the bike alot faster. It weighed in about 400 pounds. Just saying since he is building this for a daily driver and safety is a big issue.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This thing is going to be a weapon, and i cant wait to see what you do to make the engine look older.

Just wondering what ended up happening with your previous bike? Did you end up selling it? And if so did you get a good price for it? And are you missing it? Must be hard to sell something youve put so much into
Yep, I sold it to a guy just outside of Cleveland, ohio who owned a gun shop. He was really excited about it and put it on display in the front window of his store. I got a good chunk of cash for it too. As of right now I am breaking even on this build, I guess if your hobbies are supporting them selves you are doing something right.

To be honest with you I don't miss the old bike at all. It was fun for what it was but not what I wanted. I had every intention on building it and selling it to fund this v-twin bike, and being a artist I am used to selling my babies. I'm really glad that the old bike was such a inspiration to everyone on this form, in my opinion it really changed the mb world. I cant tell you how happy I am to see so many people using the 200cc clone engines.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey Lurker what type of welder did you use?
For the Frame I used my buddies Miller mig welder because the tubing is too thick for my little Harbor Freight welder to penetrate well enough. I will be using the HF welder for the tank and other things on the bike. One of the major jobs I have been procrastinating on is cleaning up the welds.

I only have a rear drum brake at the moment but I will add a front drum if necessary. I really want to keep this as authentic as I can but I think I will have to make some sacrifices pretty soon.

taylorv817

Nov 30, 2011
arlington, tx
Nice. I be waiting for the outcome. I really like your idea go big or go home lol. I'm glad you are considering the front brakes. That is great that you have friends lending you mig welder to complete your project.

Ringo_60013

Nov 16, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi all, i've been lurking on this forum for about a month or so now, and i've still not found the piece of info i'm looking for.

Hope Lurker doesn't mind me asking a few things here...

1. are Simplex 26x2.5 tires measured over the overall diameter or rim size?
and 2. if they're measured overall diameter, what rim size works with these tires?
Also it would be real helpful to know whether i can use bicycle rims with these tires, other than Worksman ones, since i've noticed the seem to be quite hard to get hold of in the UK.

Any help on tyres and rims would be of use as i'm trying to gather all my info together before i get started, since my budget is pretty non-existent and buying unnecessary stuff is not really an option.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thats what this forum is here for Ringo.

The answer to you first question is yes. Those are the approximate dimensions of the tire. However once the tire is mounted on the rim and fully inflated it is almost 27inches tall x 2 1/4 wide on a Worksman rim

The answer to you second question is yes they will fit on bicycle rims. They work best on a 26x2 or wider I wouldnt try to put them on anything less than that because they are very thick 2-3x thicker than a regular bicycle tire. Cobrafreak had them on some down hill mountain bike rims but he said they were a pain in the butt to get on and off, but I think that was because the rims had bead locks.

I hope that helps If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I concur. The tires are a joy to mount on Worksman rims but a total Devil to put on bike rims, at least the bike rims I used to run. They were so tight that I broke a whole set of bicycle tire irons. They just snapped in half. I had to go with steel motorcycle irons. But with the Worksman rims I almost don't need them at all. I really appreciate these Simplex tires. They wear so well and the with the fear of a blowout of a bicycle tire gone, they are worth their weight in gold. Good Job on the bike Lurker. I'm digging it.