Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Harry has made a very good point.

The girder is more accurate to the early racers, but suspension is very nice to have in real life use! Especially at the speeds this machine will be capable of!

Best
rc

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Here's a crude MS paint drawing of a suspension fork design that's been on my mind. It looks like a trussed non-suspension fork, but would allow a little travel.

The gray dots are pivot points and the truss would move forward at "bend" as the wheel moves up. This would compress a small coil spring behind the fork (the red thing in the drawing). A small leaf spring could also be made to work if you want a cleaner look. Needs a lot of refinement and testing, but it should function.

Use the idea if you like.

MHF

Attachments

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Just wondering Lurker, i was looking at your forks, in particular the part where the axle bolts/slides through, how do you get the wheel in the bottom part of the forks? Do you just pull the legs apart?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
On most motorcycles the front axle is free floating. In other words you can just slide it through and bolt it down. Worksman front wheels are also this way. Its amazing how similar Worksman wheels are to antique motorcycle wheels, the resemblance is uncanny. Nice score on you 23" Honda rims btw.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have been busy again. It doesn't seem like I'm making any progress because I'm not fabricating anything, but I feel like I'm on the home stretch. I was actually able to test ride it in the parking lot next to my house yesterday. Let me tell you this... the engine is way too big for the bike It is positively frightening. I was shaking after a low speed test, It would lift the front wheel off the ground if gunned it. It defiantly has the fear factor of the old racers.

Not sure if you can tell but I have done lots of polishing to the engine and various other bits. They don't show up too well in the photos but in person they really bling.

I've also completed 90% of the wiring I still need to do the tail light but I'm waiting on my brake light switch.

I would also like to note that I hate the lights on the bike with a passion but to make it street legal I must have them.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sounds like a fun ride Lurker!!!!!! Wish you have recorded that ride.

I agree your bike would look a lot better minus the lights but i dont think they look too bad, especailly once everythings painted.

Are your forks finished? Arent your forks going to have a top triple clamp? And also arent you going to join the two truss parts of the fork?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Sounds like a fun ride Lurker!!!!!! Wish you have recorded that ride.

I agree your bike would look a lot better minus the lights but i dont think they look too bad, especailly once everythings painted.

Are your forks finished? Arent your forks going to have a top triple clamp? And also arent you going to join the two truss parts of the fork?
I like the lights and think they don't look bad. That bike must be a handful with the horsepower, be safe bro since I see you don't have a front brake and only a rear drum.

I am with harry on the forks, are they finished?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Looks Awsome!!!!!!!!
If I could make one suggestion, since you don't like the head light, here is an idea to get it to look a little vintage, get an eye brow for the top of the lense, it is a small half moon shaped peice of sheet metal bent to the curve of the circular lensecover (and or beauty ring) that incase's the lense, you can get them just about anywhere(Harley Davidson shop) or make one yourself, the tail light is cool and won't be noticed as much when your sitting on the bike & to tell the truth even though lights weren't put on B.T.R.'s back in the day it doesn't look half bad, kinda cool, you could always get an oil burning lamp of old and convert it to electric,
Just my thoughts, the bike is looking cool! Really! Really! Cool!
Oh! put a rear fender on it that will also help hide the tail light and save on the cost of laundry after each ride

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Should clarify, the forks are almost done. I need to make a brace for top between the steer tube and and legs, but my drill is broke so that is on hold for the moment. I also need to add a tab for the drum brake. I have a front brake from a Honda cl100 but I need to build the wheel.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Tried to click onto the pic's but web page can't be found, I'll take your word for it!
Still if I were you I wouldn't trip they look cool to me, what about the rear fender?HWY Patrol would have something to say about that since it would be registered as a street operated bike?
Have you seen the Lifan 250 V-twin? that would make a nice build for your next and maybe cut down on some fab's check it out

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Lurker;378573 I would also like to note that I hate the lights on the bike with a passion but to make it street legal I must have them.[/QUOTE said:
Just a suggestion, maybe you could mount the headlight on one side of the forks, near the front axle. It wouldn't be period correct, and it would be asymmetrical, but I saw some French made custom motorcycle with this mounting and it looked cool.

Again, it's just a suggestion.

Gilbert

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Not a bad choice for tail lights lurker. Although I don't have turn signals myself because "mopeds" don't require them, I have a single tail light and it's about the same size as your turn signals. Hide the wires within the frame if you can and mount them as low as you can. It's all that you can do.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
That's actually my tail light cf, I like asymmetry alot.

Gbrebes, I thought about putting a small light down low but I decided against it for safety. There isn't much safe about this bike but one of my biggest fears on a bicycle or motorcycle is having a car pull out in front of me.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Here is a sneak peek.

The color in this photo is a little wonky. I have circled the area in the photo that looks the closest to the actual color. It is a dark maroon. I had initially planned on British racing green but I had a change of heart at the last minute. I will be painting it in stages tank and tool box first then frame then fork and accessories.

Attachments