Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I finally got the front wheel built. 1977 Honda CL100 hub laced to a Worksman front wheel. This has been a thorn in my side for quite awhile. We originally tried to lace it with 11g spokes in a 3x pattern but that was just could not work due to the thickness of the hub flanges. So we ended up using 12g spoke with a 1x and that worked great.

The shop that built my wheels was really curious as to what I was building, and when I showed them a photo they got super excited to see the bike. They told me that the wheels had a life time warranty just because it was too cool.

So far the wheel are the only things I haven't constructed my self and I feel like I cheated... So wheel building is my next skill to learn.

Attachments

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker...I have been an outsider for a while watching the forum...have followed your thead and have gained a lot of usefull infomation....thanks for shareing your build...I will be building some thing similar in the future ....DareDevil

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
I finally got the front wheel built. 1977 Honda CL100 hub laced to a Worksman front wheel. This has been a thorn in my side for quite awhile. We originally tried to lace it with 11g spokes in a 3x pattern but that was just could not work due to the thickness of the hub flanges. So we ended up using 12g spoke with a 1x and that worked great.

The shop that built my wheels was really curious as to what I was building, and when I showed them a photo they got super excited to see the bike. They told me that the wheels had a life time warranty just because it was too cool.

So far the wheel are the only things I haven't constructed my self and I feel like I cheated... So wheel building is my next skill to learn.
Interesting, and nice to see that another MB enthusiast has discovered this hub!! I laced one up to the Worksman rim in the first version of my blue bike, except I used the Worksman 10 5/8" spokes on a cross four pattern, which is by far the strongest and safest for high torque applications. The hub required a slight shave on the outside surface of the non-backing plate side for the spokes to fit, but the 2 min. on the lathe was worth it ( I've been lacing wheels for 30 years). You will like this brake once it has settled in, as I could lock and squeal the front tire on dry asphalt on my 150 pound blue bike!! Try that with a Sturmy archer:D

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Interesting, and nice to see that another MB enthusiast has discovered this hub!! I laced one up to the Worksman rim in the first version of my blue bike, except I used the Worksman 10 5/8" spokes on a cross four pattern, which is by far the strongest and safest for high torque applications. The hub required a slight shave on the outside surface of the non-backing plate side for the spokes to fit, but the 2 min. on the lathe was worth it ( I've been lacing wheels for 30 years). You will like this brake once it has settled in, as I could lock and squeal the front tire on dry asphalt on my 150 pound blue bike!! Try that with a Sturmy archer:D
Awesome bike! took me a while to find it LOL

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
You will like this brake once it has settled in, as I could lock and squeal the front tire on dry asphalt on my 150 pound blue bike!! Try that with a Sturmy archer
Thanks for posting that note. I was worried that it wouldn't do the job but seeing that my bike is about the same weight it gives me piece of mind.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Lurker..Your new wheel is the rim size 21".....and the O/D of the tyre 26-27" ... Im not clear on this as some old American size tyres are measured on the outside diameter....

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
The rim itself is a regular 26' bike rim that measure 22' across. The total height of the wheel and tire is 27' because the Simplex tire is larger than a bicycle tire.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
That Beast looks sicker and meaner every time I see it! Keep at it Lurker! She's really looking good. This thing is so much more attractive than the previous seat covers!