Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Your a FUNNY GUY! for an AUSY , I need a little more guidence then that and quickly before I start showing off my Merkel
I can't help you as I'm on my phone, the video is in this thread, shouldn't be too hard to find.... I wasn't trying to be smart or funny.... Let's really get back to this thread.... You know, Lurkers bike

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
And your a modest ausy too! I gotta look you up on my next visit to the land down unda
maybe I'll just surprize ya and come up your drive on the Merkel, Oh! and by the way it's illegal to talk on the phone and drive in America, ya know lack of consentration exc.xec. LOL

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
WOW! what a fiasco over the past few pages.

Mobbin, I totally understand what you are trying to say. This bike is no longer a mb and with only 4 actual bicycle parts (headset, rims, handlebars, and pedals) who could disagree. However it is not a motorcycle either, this bike was created as a functional art piece.

Being a artist and gear head from a very young age I have constantly struggled with the battle of function over form. I understand you fascination with small displacement and big power, and I agree that the gx200s are the pinnacle of mb's. I loved my dearly but it wasn't what my heart desired. I am the type of person who is never satisfied. So with this bike I imagined my self as a race bike designer from the early 20's and just let my inner desires run wild, I wanted to build something that embodied the spirit and excitement of the early btrs yet still has some amount of reliability and function, and not cost 30k plus.

Harry is right I am just making due with what I have and trying to build something that is aesthetically pleasing and some what functional. I have had no formal training, cheap tools and no shop to work in. This bike has been built from scratch in my kitchen/living room, and is the embodiment of diy in my opinion; just like the early motorcycle builders. I want to be able to inspirer people to create something even if they don't know how. I want them to realize that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen.

I think it is too early for anyone to make any judgments on this build. I still have lots to do and I am constantly refining my work. For example I just finished making a new fork because I was unsatisfied with my old one and I found some new inspiration.

I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and post the new pictures I took tonight. You guys will be able to see how this bike is a constant evolution of my ideas. And I'm sure a few people will have something to say about the new fork too, but as I said before this is more of an art piece than any thing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
WOW! what a fiasco over the past few pages.

Mobbin, I totally understand what you are trying to say. This bike is no longer a mb and with only 4 actual bicycle parts (headset, rims, handlebars, and pedals) who could disagree. However it is not a motorcycle either, this bike was created as a functional art piece.

Being a artist and gear head from a very young age I have constantly struggled with the battle of function over form. I understand you fascination with small displacement and big power, and I agree that the gx200s are the pinnacle of mb's. I loved my dearly but it wasn't what my heart desired. I am the type of person who is never satisfied. So with this bike I imagined my self as a race bike designer from the early 20's and just let my inner desires run wild, I wanted to build something that embodied the spirit and excitement of the early btrs yet still has some amount of reliability and function, and not cost 30k plus.

Harry is right I am just making due with what I have and trying to build something that is aesthetically pleasing and some what functional. I have had no formal training, cheap tools and no shop to work in. This bike has been built from scratch in my kitchen/living room, and is the embodiment of diy in my opinion; just like the early motorcycle builders. I want to be able to inspirer people to create something even if they don't know how. I want them to realize that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen.

I think it is too early for anyone to make any judgments on this build. I still have lots to do and I am constantly refining my work. For example I just finished making a new fork because I was unsatisfied with my old one and I found some new inspiration.

I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and post the new pictures I took tonight. You guys will be able to see how this bike is a constant evolution of my ideas. And I'm sure a few people will have something to say about the new fork too, but as I said before this is more of an art piece than any thing else.

Im glad you took my post the right way. i really do like this build. And if anyone can make it look the part its you. You have a good eye, and believe me i know that this sh*t doesnt just make it self, every little piece, every little detail has to be scrutinized. Countless hours im sure. Can wait to see to the finished beast. Im glad somebody built this, and im glad it was you!

I saw your gx bike a while ago and loved it, i didnt realized it was the same person till today.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks mobbin' I like to try to push the envelope with whatever I do. Here are the photos I promised. I know they suck, I will borrow the dslr camera from work tonight and get some decent photos.

Attachments

Last edited:

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
The builders of 110 years ago began realizing that the pure bicycle platform was not suited for the speeds they were approaching. They built designs that were like bicycles because that's where they started.

I think the core of modern motorbicycling is somewhere in this transition era from motor assisted bicycles to purpose built motorcycles. There are examples that favor both sides of this transition era and this one happens to be closer to the motorcycle side.

Don't bust Lurkers balls if his doesn't fit the vision in your head. Build yours and be happy with it.

MHF

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Lurker
What happen to the springer forks you originally had on the bike? even though the present forks look good wouldn't they give an almost un-controlable ride? given the speeds you will obtain on that monster, I mean lets face it there ain't no mo wood tracks these days and the streets are full of pot holes and the other forks looked just as good if not better

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I still have the other forks and I think I will be selling them soon. They just didn't fit my vision I really wanted a truss fork that looked exactly like this so I built one. If anyone is interested in the old forks send me a pm. Anyway here are some better shots of the bike. I still have so much work to do to this thing its slightly overwhelming. I guess thats how it goes when you are doing a project like this. You have your good days and your bad.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
What do you plan to do ? at the top of the head tude to join the forks and everything together, that steering tube just looks a little dangerous in the present state, a top plate prehaps ? I know yer not done yet, I know how that goes but good job! bro good job! on all. Watching your thread, and waiting for up-dates is like being a kid waiting for Christmas ya just can't waite till it gets here

Last edited:

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
^ let the man do his thing! i noticed that aswell, no top triple, but that fork is seriously BEEF. it should be all tied-in though, lots of leverage on the steer-tube.

Lurk keep your head up man, you have come so far, you got the hardest stuff done, now its just odds and ends, then you'll be styl'in.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I wasnt sure about your springer forks at first, if you recall i commented early on that they were a bit "chopperish" but they grew on me, and like you said once you color coded them they would blend in a lot more.

If I were you though Lurker I wouldn't go selling those springer forks just yet..... Like yourself I also prefer your truss forks but I'd hold onto the springers until after a test ride. You may end up wanting your trusses for display/shows but those springers will come in handy if you decide on a long ride somewhere. Just my $0.02