Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Lurker, what colour are you painting the bike? Still the original color sample you supplied? I noticed your comments on Mr.B's build, do you plan on a patina'd look?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
We dont want to annoy the smaller cc builders but at the same time im sure we dont want to lose these builds to other websites. Speaking for myself this is by far my favourite website and this is turning out to be one of my favourite builds.
What you said about the site is so true. I feel like the people here really embody the spirit of the old time builders. I really envy sportscarpat and his ability to make a small business out of it. I would love to do that some day.

Yes the bike will still be painted British racing green with the gold pin striping. however I am debating weather or not to make it look distressed and vintage. I guess only time will tell.

Yes the pedals are offset just like the old bikes. 7" in each direction from the bottom bracket. I will post some more photos tomorrow

Dose and one know if I have to put the vin number on the head tube or can I hide it under the tank or on the seat tube?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
What you said about the site is so true. I feel like the people here really embody the spirit of the old time builders.

Dose and one know if I have to put the vin number on the head tube or can I hide it under the tank or on the seat tube?
+1

I had joined the other Forum first, but with no disrespect towards them I really do feel much more comfortable here.

And I’ve never had a post moved here... “-)

---------------

Vin tag?

The head tube seems to be the common place, but I don’t know if it’s mandatory?

But it’s probably a safe play.

I know some of the chopper guys actually cut and weld them into the tube flush, as if original.

-Kirk

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
My mind still boggles that you guys can obtain a VIN from another bike and place it on another frame, is this legal or you "get away with it"?

In Australia if you were caught doing that you would be in serious trouble. And your bike would be removed from the road, and possibly more.

They would be suspicious that it was a stolen bike that had been rebirthed. Or at the very least they would think you were riding a home made invention, which in a lot of cases you must admit could be EXTREMELY dangerous, who knows who welded it or how good those welds were. Here you would need the bike inspected by engineers along the build process and it wouldnt be cheap or easy.... not to mention all the guards and other safety issues.

Ive said it before, but im soooooo jealous you guys can ride this, you wouldnt make it to the end of the street here without being ordered off the road. Youre a lucky man Lurker

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I suspect if the authorities wanted to press it you could get in trouble here too, never the less it still seems to be a pretty common practice.

There is definitely a accepted custom culture/tradition here.

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Lurker, I noticed in your video this is electric start and you started it with a seperate battery. Is this how you will start it or are you going to put a small battery somewhere on the bike?.... Or can you rope start it from the flywheel?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
My mind still boggles that you guys can obtain a VIN from another bike and place it on another frame, is this legal or you "get away with it"?
There is a little more to it than just having a vin number, you also need the title (which I have). Basically what I am doing is buying a Yamaha motorcycle that was destroyed in a fire and resurrecting it as a board track racer. This is no different than turning it in to a chopper or a trike, a lots of custom motorcycle shops do this all the time. Its kind of a legal loop hole or a gray area if you will.

As for starting the bike I have found a very small lithium battery with 275cca that will mount behind the engine and in front of the bottom bracket. Once I get my tool box constructed and the battery painted and mounted It should blend in nicely.

Last edited:

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
As for starting the bike I have found a very small lithium battery with 800cca that will mount behind the engine and in front of the bottom bracket. Once I get my tool box constructed and the battery painted and mounted It should blend in nicely.
What type of Lithium battery are you planning on using? I'd be very leery of using a Lipo battery on a motorcycle for safety reasons but there are some that are more stable and less prone to blowing up. Also, are you planning on charging the battery off the motor? If so, Lithium batteries charge differently than a regular lead/acid battery so you'll have to make some kind of charging circuit. I am no expert on this but I've heard a lot of bad things about lithium batteries and motorcycles/ people carrying vehicles. Maybe you've done some research on this and it's alright but if you haven't please do some searches before you commit to this battery.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I looked at their faq's and that pretty much resolves any worries/ questions I had. I have never heard of these before but will definitely bookmark them and probably use one in my build. Thanks for the info.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca

In Australia if you were caught doing that you would be in serious trouble. And your bike would be removed from the road, and possibly more.

They would be suspicious that it was a stolen bike that had been rebirthed. Or at the very least they would think you were riding a home made invention, which in a lot of cases you must admit could be EXTREMELY dangerous, who knows who welded it or how good those welds were. Here you would need the bike inspected by engineers along the build process and it wouldnt be cheap or easy.... not to mention all the guards and other safety issues.

Ive said it before, but im soooooo jealous you guys can ride this, you wouldnt make it to the end of the street here without being ordered off the road. Youre a lucky man Lurker
Harry, please don't take this the wrong way. I don't mean to insult your Country, but why are they so ANAL about little tiny minutia. Who cares if people want to put an engine on a bicycle? This really bothers me because it is a loss of freedom and it's not right. You should be able to put an engine on a bicycle if you want and ride it. OK, i'm off my soapbox now.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Dont wanna hijack the thread, and i understand your point. Im hearing you.

Maybe its our youth, our national motorcycle apparel consists of double pluggers (thongs) and singlets so they arent the brightest or most safety concious. LOL

Anyone who follows extreme sports (freestyle motocross and bmx) would testify to some of the Aussie youth and the crazy stuff they do. If we could ride Lurkers bike or even your bike on the road the death toll would suddenly rise.

Its not just our country, i think you would be the exception and not the norm, im sure its not even the case in a lot of states in America?

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Its not just our country, i think you would be the exception and not the norm, im sure its not even the case in a lot of states in America?
This is very true. The United States is one of the few countries that was founded based on individuals freedom. I've been to a few other countries and none of them had the rights and freedom we have especially when it comes to bearing arms and modified vehicles.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
A few months ago I was browsing the antique car markets and found one country(won't name names) but not only do they drive left side of the road but any antique vehicles brought into that country from the USA must be converted to right hand drive as well can you imagine if they made you put the throttle of a bike on the left,clutch on the right,gear shift on the right, that sure would take away yer right to think straight, I would really like to see your country though.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Truckd if you're referring to Australia that's incorrect, we used to have to convert to right hand drive, but now we can leave them left hand drive. My brother has a 57 Chev left hand drive that's legally registered...... Now back to Lurkers thread.... Sorry Lurker

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Looks great, are you running the pedals like that for period correctness or because there's stuff in the way to mount them in the same place? How much do you have your leg bent for the left side peg? I am thinking about doing pegs on my build but want to make it as comfortable as possible for long rides. Can you take a picture with you on it with the pegs?