lessons learned from pets

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hey Dan. Your probably more on the money than I am. My brother and sister in law are looking after my nephews Wheaten Terrier. Every time I sit down there are a pair of eyes right at knee level giving me the same look.
He doesn't do it to anyone else except the easy mark.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Our chihuahua, Mia, uses the chihuahua speciality of a disproportionately powerful prod in the calf muscle if she feels she's being ignored. It's not even a prod, it's a good hard dig, "OI! You up there!".

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har! LoL, Lang.

That should be a picture above a bar with the caption; "What do you mean I am cut off?"

He just looks so dejected. Rescues need so much love and reassurance.

Good folks like you give them that!

Great lookin' puppy!

(guessing Bentley is a he, by the name)

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
The lessons were simple:

"Enjoy every sandwich" & "Don't believe everything you hear"

That picture was taken 12/31/2013

We rescued her 13 years earlier - she was on the "48 hour" list at a kill shelter.

She had a glorious life, and said goodbye a month ago.

In November 2013 what looked like a broken leg turned out to be osteosarcoma - bone cancer. We opted to cast the leg & let he live out her life with all 4 limbs. The vet figured 6 weeks. That picture was 8 weeks after the diagnosis. Still walking & playing!

She continued to enjoy every walk, every treat, every meal. On August 4th 2015 she had her morning walk, ate her breakfast & took a nap she never woke up from.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The lessons were simple:

"Enjoy every sandwich" & "Don't believe everything you hear"

That picture was taken 12/31/2013

We rescued her 13 years earlier - she was on the "48 hour" list at a kill shelter.

She had a glorious life, and said goodbye a month ago.

In November 2013 what looked like a broken leg turned out to be osteosarcoma - bone cancer. We opted to cast the leg & let he live out her life with all 4 limbs. The vet figured 6 weeks. That picture was 8 weeks after the diagnosis. Still walking & playing!

She continued to enjoy every walk, every treat, every meal. On August 4th 2015 she had her morning walk, ate her breakfast & took a nap she never woke up from.
Dang, FFV8. I am so sorry for your loss.

"Enjoy every sandwich" Words to live by, for sure.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Oh...lessons.
Lost my old boy this winter, Bone E. Bones was 19 years old, died in his sleep.

Then July 27th my best friend of the last ten years, Doh Doh died from reasons unknown. Maybe his heart was broken from Boney dying? They were pretty good buds.

I don't think I am ever going to have another dog....lessons learned.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I've lived with dogs since I was 5. I cried over all of them. Hurts bad.

But I got me a new girl and I smile a lot more now.

Me thinks I'll always have a dog. Hurts more to not have one. Really sucks.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My wife's on holiday with a friend, and the moment the dog knew it was just me and her in the house, she started trying it on. Attempts at taking food out of the kitchen, pretending she can't jump up on furniture, even telling ME to hurry up, she wants this door open NOW! All 7lbs of her.

But I outrank her! I can open the cupboard doors!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
At least yours looks like it's has some manners. Mine would have it's butt on my pillow. Dang thing would keep it a secrete too. Just thinking of that snoring. Last night I had a night mare! Even dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted. OK now I am rambling.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Lucy is a good girl, best dog I ever had.

She has never messed in the house, does not chew up anything that is not hers, does not go through the trash and is not afraid of anything. She loves children and small dogs and is very gentle with them.

She is also the only female I've had that lifts her leg to pee on trees. Learned that from watching the males I guess. I can just imagine the "dog logic", Hmmm I wonder how those dogs get their pee so high on these trees...oh I see.

Amazing.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been under the weather for the last couple of years.(doing better and no biggie)

But made it down stairs and out of the house today. On my return, I went to my room and layed down.

Shelly De Dawg came in and asked I follow. In no uncertain terms, she demanded I follow her to where the family was.
Was so sweet. She is good People, ya know, for a dawg. She just wanted us all together.

After work I took the Momma’s baby out back for a run. She is an Aussie shepherd. All auburn, (even her eyes) Red chest and heart of gold. Truly the Momma’s baby and follows her around like, well a dog. Wile out back with her, I realized how much I could learn from her. After an 18 hr day on 2 hrs of sleep, when I walk in the door, bath the people I love with wet kisses and make sure they know I need them more then my next breath. Be ready, willing and able to give up all so that they are OK. Sit when asked and play when invited. When nap time comes, have a paw on every body in the bed and reassure all not only that I am there for them, also that they are there with me.

But above all else, only pee in designated areas, or the neighbors point and laugh and Momma gets that look.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Been under the weather for the last couple of years.(doing better and no biggie)

But made it down stairs and out of the house today. On my return, I went to my room and layed down.

Shelly De Dawg came in and asked I follow. In no uncertain terms, she demanded I follow her to where the family was.
Was so sweet. She is good People, ya know, for a dawg. She just wanted us all together.
Howdy Dan! Good to hear that you are better! I haven't been on here for a while, stuff happens you know. My last mb has been hanging from the shop ceiling for the last year. Needs some work! Since I was on here the last time I have built a shop and acquired some equipment, two lathes and a mill drill plus a mig welder and gathered all my other equipment and tools in one place.
Elmo