lessons learned from pets

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, but me and the cat will think it is funny.

Thinking about it now, Stewie will probably freak out and hide. He is not what you would call brave. Saw a weird beetle looking bug chase him away last night in the cellar. 2 dang funny.

He is a very gentle soul. Years back Carol bought me moccasin slippers that I still wear. They have holes, my toes stick out and the only thing holding them together is habit. But they have a fux sort of tassel lacing that Stewie likes to "bap" at when I walk by him. He doesn't scratch but baps like a kid over-hand punching while wearing boxing gloves would do.

He's a bapper, not a scratcher.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Give him a biscuit and he'll let you.
I remember once, 'bout 12 years ago, I was doin some volunteer work at the local parks' open air stage. there were many people there that day and a few dogs runnin' 'round. We were sitting in the office and a male dog was lickin' himself. Tommy, the ultimate, mullet headed, redneck, jerk, said "I wish I could do that." Johnny, the head dude at that time, told him "I'm sure he'd let ya if you're nice." We all cracked up laughin', 'cept Tommy, he turn 'bout 4 shades of red and stormed out, wich of course had us laughin' even harder.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sitting in the necessary room today, I hear Stewie DeCat jump down from some thing in another room. Cats are on very exact schedules. That is why they will wake from their one of 6 hr naps in a day and run from the room. But any way, he came barreling in, runs past me and leaps in to the bathtub. He then sat and faced the same wall as me and purred so loud you could hear him from several feet away and threw the glass doors.

He then jumped out, walked past me with his "Hey Dude" look and slowly left. ...and out the door he went.

George Thoroughgood Version

"Wanna tell you a story,
About the house-man blues
I come home one Friday,
Had to tell the landlady I'd-a lost my job
She said that don't confront me,
Long as I get my money next Friday
Now next Friday come I didn't get the rent,
And out the door I went"

He has a Thoroughgood sort of thing happening.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Pray he never takes up Gear Jamming through your front room.

He should get a haircut and get a real job.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
He wanted to see if sitting on the bog was as good as sitting in the litter box. It must have been and that's why he was sitting in the bath tub purring.
He was also thinking that if the box was as big as the tub and half full of litter life would be so much better.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How cool would that be Steve!? I kinda think that we think a lot in words unlike when we dream and it is more imagery. But think they think ( I think) say their names, are not who they are, but just an invitation to pleasant like food or affection. An accusing tone is the reverse but is not, to them, their name.

But man it would be cool to know what they are thinking. I bet they have a really great humor that we miss. Although their fears must be horrible. "Monsters" under the bed really do want to eat you.

Yes, sadly I have spent a lot of time pondering this.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Was truly strange Steve. But par for the course with that critter, I guess. Always good for a laugh.
Be careful about wearing underwear near the cat. They tend to investigate new and unusual things. Sometimes they have their claws out as well.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's a story about a man in Britain, true or false I don't know, who was admitted to hospital with personal scratches and a cut on the back of his head. He'd supposedly been kneeling down late at night looking into a cupboard for something, and the cat took a swipe. That's the scratches. The cut was from him jumping and banging his head on the underside of the cupboard door frame.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Made me think of a thing Ludwig. Outside Hartford Hospital, there is a life sized statue of a dog. Walking in the doors as a little kid, my father told me that it was in tribute to a dog who came with his human. The guy goes in for some simple sort of thing ( I forget, I was like 5 or 6) but the guy died. The dog stayed there for days waiting for him, until some one realized what had happened.

I have never been able to find any prof that is why the statue is there and the ol' man was fond of whiskey and tall tails but would be cool if true.

He was great fun. The cops brought him home more then me and my brother combined. Mom was not amused. LOL

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
.... leaps in to the bathtub....

He then jumped out, walked past me with his "Hey Dude" look and slowly left. ...and out the door he went.
A couple of weeks ago I was wandering through the house doing something when my cat, Smudge, came truckin' past and hopped into the tub. I stuck my head in the door and asked, "Smudge, what are you doing?"

She looked at me, extended a back leg and washed it (three or four long licks) and looked back at me as if to say "I'm having a bath, idiot."

20120108_010705.jpg

We had a cat that used to have a 'daily schedule' of naps.. At certain times you knew where you'd be able to find him because it was time for the 'late morning/chair in the front window' nap, and so on. It would really annoy him if someone was using the chair or whatever that a certain nap was supposed to be happening in. We'd laugh, since when he was 'ticked' he'd walk around the hardwood floors with his claws out just enough to tick when he stalked away.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL CT, that was fun to read. Is funny how they are run by egos just like us.

"She looked at me, extended a back leg and washed it (three or four long licks) and looked back at me as if to say "I'm having a bath, idiot." Har snork. Yet if you laugh at them when they do some thing stupid like running in to a wall or rolling of the TV while asleep, they get POed.

Was telling the Stewie in the tub story to a friend. She is a tuff as nails, north end of Hartford woman who a good sized, grown man would not want to fist fight. But she then told me about her cat who loves to get in the tub with her as long as their are no bubbles.

Ya just don't normally think of a woman with gang tats and a cat enjoying a long soak in a hot bath.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks Dan. Yeah, cats definately know when they're being laughed at. And they remember it, too. I've had dogs, too, and that's one of the biggest differences I think. Dogs don't care if you're laughing at them or with them, but cats know the difference.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't do cats. Dogs are wonderful. Our last one would sulk at you if he wasn't allowed to do something. He'd lie in your line of sight facing away from you, and occasionally check over his shoulder to make sure you knew you were being ignored. The cure was to look somewhere else and make him get up to sit over there. Then you look back the way you were and he'd huff and wander off into his bed.