How did you get injured on your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: How did you get injured on your motor bike?

I went around a blind turn on the wrong side of the street and nearly didnt live to tell about it. The combined speed of the truck and me in a last minute head on was nearly light speed. I was heading right for his radiator. I hit his mirror and hurt my shoulder and broke my clutch lever but somehow didnt become road pizza under the massive tires. I called him an ******* and kept riding because I was in shock. Talk about adrenaline. Also I didnt want to get in a fight with a redneck when I just lost a fight with his truck

You went around a blind turn on the wrong side of the street and call the truck driver an @$$hole? You're lucky that "redneck" didn't hunt you down an make you pay for the damage you cause to his truck.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I have had my share of "moments" like that....somehow I have made it to 47, without being sued, shot (I didn't say "shot at") or killed.

Seanik

Nov 10, 2008
Erie Pa

Coming off the bike path, I made a turn and hit some loose gravel and over she went. I was wearing a helmut and that saved a fractured skull. Cracked the outer helmut shell, got a black eye, a lot of road rash and finished up with a broken ankle. Quick recovery for a 68 yr old, no damage to the bike. I am building a cruiser with a Titan engine and can't waite to ride it. Wife says I might as well get a Harley and do it up big.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

SEANIK, GLAD YOUR OK. MAYBE IF YOU TALK TO THE WIFE (IN YOUR BEST VOICE!!laff) SUGGEST THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THE HARLEY MONEY THAT SHE OK`D AND BUY A "FEW" MAB`S INSTEAD!!!?? laff

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia

About 2 months ago i was riding a std push bike (does that count?) across a main road eyeing off a driveway to a petrol station i peddaled away i went up the kerb no worries 2 metres later im over the bars flying through the air and plonk on the concrete like soap on sandpaper.
I looked back to see what happened, stupid idiot i went up a blind kerb and there was a gutter, step up nearly a foot. I had my sunnies on, didnt see a thing!
well 3 weeks late my knee swelled up huge could not walk had to go to hospital and have blood tests, turned up to be a really bad infection and its still slightly swollen
If you have an open wound keep it clean!!!
steve

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Steve, Sorry About Your Mishap!! Sounds Like You Are Recovering. Don`t Like To Hear Of Anybody Getting Hurt. But When We Do It Makes Us All A Bit More Cautious. Ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Stupid, just plain stupid: and clumsy
I went to the library today and stopped off in the park to watch the people and relax in the sun. I'd parked the bike next to a picnic table and Just as I took a seat I saw the bike falling. My double kickstand was sinking in the soft wet grass. I grabbed for it, my hand hit my rear view mirror, broke it off, put a deep, inch long gash across the top of my right index finger on the broken edge. I'm bleeding like a stuck pig with nothing to wrap my finger with. When the bleeding slowed I decided to head for home and that's when I saw my speedometer hanging by the wires. My hand must have hit it too. Broke the mount right where it attaches to my bars...Stupid!
I should have let it fall; I'd have done less damage and wouldn't be sitting here now with my finger bandaged. Rats!
Tom

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida

My bro was checking the tension on his bmx chain while riding and...

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I was trying to follow a car into a parking structure. The long roadblock arm dropped quickly and hit my helmet, which pushed me into the concrete pillar as I tried to accelerate.

Contact points were helmet, crushed bike basket and shin guards.

The lot attendant rushed over to render aid. I quickly got up,saying "I'm allright, I"m allright".

No injuries whatsoever, not even a headache from the roadblock arm or pillar.

Now I crawl my bike slowwwly around the roadblock arm. It's a PITA because it's a very steep uphill ramp and both engines' clutches take a beating (Can't make it up the ramp on one engine).

I go up this ramp every time I ride to work. Exiting the down ramp isn't a problem. I just need to lean the bike over and slowwwly walk it around the roadblock arm..duh.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL

Oct. 08, A lady ran a stop sign and I had no time to even slow down.Its amazing how soft a windshield is when you hit it doing 30 mph.I busted up my shin pretty good and stretched tendons in my rotory cup,but nothing broken except a windshield and the front of my GT mtb.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Dvd, Hope You Don`t Have Any Long Term Problems. Did The Lady Get A Ticket?? Did The Officer Say Anything About Your Motorbike? Later Ron

schwallyjdog

Feb 11, 2009
Bellevue Ohio

I was riding on the side of a road and heard a car go in the gravel right behind me and bailed twards a ditch. There was a mailbox that got in my way and I ended up with a injured arm and broken bike and I hit my face and never saw the car. They never even stopped. So I would say that the other guy is your biggest worry. My advice is having alot of lights and get over and slow down when cars come. We all know most people drive and multitask.

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL

Me to Ron and no the police officer said that he was glad to see I had lights on my bike and that I actually used them and yes the lady was ticketed and there were 3 witnesses, and one was dispatcher for the sheriffs office.

Cheetah_oo

Mar 20, 2009
Chicago

Its Story time!!!

About 2 years ago Me, My Brother and 2 friends were heading towards the lake front bike path. I was riding my wheelchair trike and i decided to race one of my friends down a hill. We were easily doing 30+mph and we saw that the street was torn up (probably due to repairs) both of us hit our brakes but as we were skidding down hill his bike came too close to my bike and my handle bar got caught on the bottom of his seat. As he pulled away he also pulled my handle bar and i flipped my trike on its side. The trike didn't get much damage but i ended up with scratched knuckles and a scratch on my eyebrow. I got lucky i didn't get any serious injury's.

Fun times.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

dvddtz RODE TO MY PLACE FOR A VISIT A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, HE HAS A 6 INCH SCAR ON HIS SHIN BONE. I THOUGHT IT WAS FROM A SURGURY, IT WAS FROM HITTING THE CAR. COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE, I GUESS!! HE HAS SHOULDER PROBLEMS FROM THE CRASH. RON

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city

( mosquito on the road ) There was a guy lilhog that wrote on 12/16/08 that he rounded a blind curve on the wrong side of the road and was almost killed by an oncoming truck. Now I was wondering was he in the road or the shoulder of the road. He said he cursed out the trucker as he narrowly passed hitting the vehicle. If he was on the wrong side why would he feel he could curse out at the trucker, that's not justifiable. Unless he was off the roadway and on the shoulder it would be a little better for his situation but still no cursing should have been done. How can anyone write such things, I realize some of us feel a God given right to be sharing the road with other vehicles, but where not on a level playing field. First, most drivers have little to no tolerance for other drivers let alone some guy on a bicycle, motor or no motor where all the same in there book. Second, if we get in there way they feel no threat of any impending collision that may occur, your a mosquito on the road in terms of physical proportions. We present no real danger to there well being so they have no real concerns, of course there are some drivers that will be nice and do the right thing. Ride like your life depends upon it.

Last edited: