Hi from the UK - INDIAN Board Tracker tribute, my first build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Frame-wise, you're thinking same as me Curt. Reckon that's a nicely modded Cantilever frame. Interesting to see the makers of the Fuki Planning also sell the gas tank separately. Two tank capacity options (2L & 1.5L) available.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete I'm currently parked on several projects , but still investigating others out of curiosity that may never see light of day. I feel you do the same this being an example. That said the insights gained may influence a future build.

Norm is absolutely correct 33cc won't get it done in the U.S. on gas I like the 99cc to 212 Predators or Honda clones or originals. With 12 to 15 hp my 5 speed 125cc Honda clones have speed enough for highway use if mounted on DOT rated tires and wheels. Quite a few 2 strokes CG 66cc bikes making 5hp and some closer to 10hp so yeah right or wrong that's where I'm at.

On electrics 5 to 10hp is common and my current build (pun is obvious) a lightweight aluminum Schwinn straight bar frame and 48v. 5 hp mid motor and V twin case will weigh about 60 lbs.

Power is a big deal with a lot of us though I admit it leans more to moped or cycle than bicycle, yet still looks a bicycle.

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Pete I'm currently parked on several projects , but still investigating others out of curiosity that may never see light of day. I feel you do the same this being an example. That said the insights gained may influence a future build.

Norm is absolutely correct 33cc won't get it done in the U.S. on gas I like the 99cc to 212 Predators or Honda clones or originals. With 12 to 15 hp my 5 speed 125cc Honda clones have speed enough for highway use if mounted on DOT rated tires and wheels. Quite a few 2 strokes CG 66cc bikes making 5hp and some closer to 10hp so yeah right or wrong that's where I'm at.

On electrics 5 to 10hp is common and my current build (pun is obvious) a lightweight aluminum Schwinn straight bar frame and 48v. 5 hp mid motor and V twin case will weigh about 60 lbs.

Power is a big deal with a lot of us though I admit it leans more to moped or cycle than bicycle, yet still looks a bicycle.

Rick C.
Yeah the 125s, a friend has a Chinese one we can mess around with. Manual clutch, might be a 4 speed. I have ridden one of those 125cc choppers as a semiauto with optional suicide shift.. they are comfy and ride OK. So many potential projects, so little time.

Pete the bike is looking good! Love the forks.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah Rick, I too am pretty well 'parked' for the time being on my latest build. Currently awaiting delivery of the waterjet-cut steel parts needed to reinforce the bike's frame. Not in any particular hurry, but these are taking longer than expected considering they were sent off to the cutters several weeks ago. All parts for this current build are just about good to go, so once these waterjet-cut parts arrive, I'll be in a position to silver solder them to the frame and get everything bolted together into something that looks like a finished bike. .

I have other priorities too right now. On top of all the regular Dementia-related care wife Jen needs, she's going through a low time right now with an infected foot caused by a nasty pressure sore on the outside of her left ankle. Not really caused by pressure, more the fact that she endures tremors in her limbs and the constant flexing of her feet/hands in bed occasionally tends to cause friction blisters/wounds. Good thing Jen's pain receptors in her brain aren't working - so thankfully she shows no signs of discomfort. One of very few upsides to this awful bloody disease. Dosing Jen with antibiotics - in liquid form, 'cause she can't swallow tablets or capsules - four times a day is proving problematic and many times the dose simply gets spat back out down the straw through which it's administered. What you or I could drink in seconds, often takes Jen hours. Same story with the Fortisip drinks (300 calorie meals in milkshake format) which are the only form of sustenance Jen has been taking in lieu of solid food for as long as I can remember. Can't get Jen to drink more than 3 of those a day - so naturally her incremental weight loss continues apace. Fact is, weight-wise, there's little to no leeway left when, inevitably, Jen no longer wishes to partake. One thing's for certain, when that does happen, there's no way Jen will be admitted to hospital to be hooked up to machines that'll pointless keep her going. With the family's blessing, I agreed several months back to sign the DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) paperwork, believing quality of life is what's important. Jen would want the same for herself if she was able to communicate.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete glad to hear the bike parts are eventually coming. It's extreme patience required but when you have so much going on with the wife bikes are down the list for sure. I was a sole caretaker seven years for my Dad and the last two I battled with pressure wounds constantly. He had restless leg syndrome which caused abrasion issues on feet, knees, ankles and hips, any area where bone was close to the skin surface. Lack of protein is a condition that promotes pressure wounds and when one doesn't eat enough to keep a bird alive sores follow. I'd gladly do it again Pete as the good times got me through the worst of it, that and my faith.
You have shared with us and not a word of it differs from my own thoughts. My prayers for you both and family.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
WATERJET-CUT FRAME GUSSETS FINALLY SHOWED UP.... (Remember me?....It's been a while....!)
Phew, after what seems like forever, my waterjet-cut, 1/8" thick, mild steel frame gusset parts were finally delivered today. All fit the frame perfect, as expected - but the lack of a 24mm dia. hole for the ignition barrel in the speedo bracket means that part will need to be re-cut. Barrington Metals said they'd do another. correct, speedo bracket for me sometime in the next few days. Oh well, sh _ t happens....
I can now proceed with silver soldering these strengthening gussets to the frame.

In other news, yesterday I snagged a really lovely engine on eBay for a future project. Due to be courier delivered to me on Tuesday next week. It's a Villiers XIIC 125cc twin port (dual exhaust) which the seller has exhibited running at shows as a stationary engine. All mounted on a purpose built display stand, the seller described it as a demo/sales training aid from the 1930s. All in all, a lovely piece in super condition.

DSCN4014.JPG
RSCN4016.JPG
DSCN4017 (2).JPG
DSCN4018.JPG
DSCN4019 (2).JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Found out the reason my waterjet-cut parts took so long to get done. Michael, the guy in charge of the profiling shop at Barrington Metals told me last week they'd endured several weeks of intensely frustrating communication problems due to their internet/phone provider being held to ransom by a hacker. Wondered why I wasn't receiving e-mails from them, and every phone call to them was either never answered or I was cut-off mid call. Often, their phone line was just dead when I tried calling. Caused their business no end of problems. After my parts were delivered today and I called them to say one component was incorrect due to 3 x missing holes that were on the drawing I supplied, they confirmed that was an ongoing problem also down to the hacker issue.

Can't be easy for a business to endure such a massive inconvenience like that. Several years back, my PC was 'froze', after I uncharacteristically opened an 'attachment', by a hacker who demanded money. I took my PC to the local 'puter whizz who failed to unlock it so he sent it off to some company who knew more than him. After a week, they advised me they had managed to save some, but not all my files, then recommended I scrap the PC and buy a new one. Lesson learned. Now I NEVER go near 'attachments' no matter who they're from.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Been thinking about one of these CNC'd alloy belt drive conversions for a while. One of AliExpress's recent pop-ups on my PC offered it at a great price so I finally sprung for one and it arrived today. Thinking this might be a perfect upgrade for my first build, the little Indian tribute bike, which I'm planning on taking out of hibernation after two and a half years being holed-up in a storage unit here in Alnwick along with a couple of my other bikes since the house move back in 2019. If it doesn't work out on the Indian tribute, I'm sure I'll find a home for it on a future build.
Anyone have any experience of using one of these belt drives?
DSCN4020.JPG

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tom, as Curt says, I first found out about the belt drive conversion kit via a forum advertiser's website. Being in the UK, problem for me is buying stuff from US sellers becomes way to prohibitively expensive once shipping and import taxes are factored in. (Still keeping my fingers crossed for the long-promised UK/US trade deal...). I purchased my belt drive kit from AliExpress for an all in price of 34 UK pounds. Including airmail shipping and there was zero VAT or import duty to pay upon its arrival. Also seen these belt drives listed on eBay by several Oriental sellers.
....(Said it before and it's probably worth repeating; In my experience I find it best to store anything of interest I've viewed on AliExpress. They track your searches via cookies and often start sending you pop-ups with tempting discounted offers for your watched items. But even on AliExpress it pays to shop around. Many outlets selling the same stuff at vastly different price points)...

So far, unless I'm mistaken, I haven't seen any reference to one of these belt drive upgrades being retro-fitted to a build on this forum. That's why I'm curious if anyone has experience of fitting and riding with one installed. I'm guessing fitting should be a no brainer - providing the belt itself is the correct length, or at least close to, - and the primary benefit of running a belt v chain is the greatly reduced noise.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Greg,
Dadcat's little helper has her nose and paws into everything when I'm working on bikes indoors.
Mischa's a little diva who tries her best to get her mug into almost every photo I shoot.
Never more than arms length away from me 24/7. Totally people-focussed cat. She's an adorable new addition to the household.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Received a pleasant surprise today when the Villiers twin port motor I purchased last week via eBay showed up a day ahead of the scheduled delivery date quoted by the couriers.
What a cool little unit! Pictures didn't do it justice. Obviously restored to a high standard by some previous caretaker, it looks like it'll fire right up once I've fitted a fuel petcock and hose which on first inspection are the only items appearing to be awol. As stated in an earlier post last week, the current seller said he exhibited it running as a stationary engine at rallies.
My online research leads me to believe this is a '30s vintage Villiers XIIC twin port, which would make it 147cc capacity - however, the engine's crankcase number, prefixed with ZF, is proving tricky to assign. Maybe this particular motor, like many, was intended for use in some kind of agricultural machine and not a motorcycle? However, the seller indicated this unit, complete with it's thumb throttle and decompressor lever, was very likely intended as a dealership demo/training rig.
I'm intending to use this engine - mated to a suitable vintage 3-speed hand-shift gearbox such as those from Albion or Sturmey Archer - in a future build, but even left as it is, I'm happy to share lounge space with this cool little piece of vintage history.
DSCN4022 (2).JPG
DSCN4025 (2).JPG
DSCN4026 (2).JPG
DSCN4027.JPG
DSCN4028.JPG