GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
IMO I would say Workmans 11g or Wheelmaster 12g are very good. The no spoke mags are ok but if one of the fins pop out you are in serious trouble....I had a set.As for the Aero I have no clue but the look cool.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

Thanks for the posts so far.

FYI: the Aluminum and Composite wheels can be ordered with the 6 hole ISO Mount for Disc Brakes.

This is where you can attach the Powered Drive Sprocket, either directly, with washers or maybe a Top Hat Adapter.

Here is the source for the top hat which results in the drive sprocket being totally concentric with the rim and hub:

Top Hat Sprocket Adaptor | King Sales and Service

I'm looking forward to more input/ ideas.

:)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I'm also thinking:

- Double Wall Alloy Rims
- Spoke Eyelets
- 12 Gauge Stainless Steel Spokes
- Schrader Valve
- ISO 6 Hole Disc Capable
- V Brake Capable as well
add: (line that follows)
- Spoke Washers

I think the above may be available off the shelf in a 14 gauge spoke.

Any thoughts MB Pros please?

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im from Australia so cant comment on the Worksman wheels but id be guessing they are far far superior to the other wheels you mentioned.

The other wheels you showed are more for lightness and intended more for roadbike use. Theres a reason you will never see any disciipline of mountain biking using them.... because they simply would not be as strong.

IMO you cant beat a double walled downhill mountainbike wheelset. And from all reports ive heard the worksman wheels are highly recommended. And if i could get my hands on a set thats what id be using.... hope this helps.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
For a front wheel the Worksman is one of the best and can be ordered with 11ga spoke set and front drum brake. I just got a 1965 Suzuki K10 drum brake hub and wheel to go with the K10 forks in this thread for my new build:

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
This is a great thread Im currently looking for a setup where I can have a front wheel with a disc brake setup for my cruiser that will not require welding tabs to the fork, and I prefer to stay away from the springer forks.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
This is a great thread Im currently looking for a setup where I can have a front wheel with a disc brake setup for my cruiser that will not require welding tabs to the fork, and I prefer to stay away from the springer forks.
Hi,

There is a bunch of helpful threads in this section; I like the title of my thread better though! :)

I was about to copy/ paste the Thread links, but it would've been a bunch.

Heres the one that you're looking into specifically:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29953

Thats one good looking/ strong wheel.

P.S. --->

Fellow MBers Builders & Enthusiasts - please share your ideas.

Thanks! :)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
For a front wheel the Worksman is one of the best and can be ordered with 11ga spoke set and front drum brake. I just got a 1965 Suzuki K10 drum brake hub and wheel to go with the K10 forks in this thread for my new build:

It has a 17"x2.25 36 spoke rim and can be respoked to 10ga for a double wall 26" Mtn bike rim. I am using a 26" double wall 10 ga spoke with Shimano CBE-110 hub for the rear and Manic Mechanic hub adapter

Can you post pics of your rim and can you kindly post your link to the wheelset source(s)?

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Hi,

There is a bunch of helpful threads in this section; I like the title of my thread better though! :)

I was about to copy/ paste the Thread links, but it would've been a bunch.

Heres the one that you're looking into specifically:

http://motorbicycling.com/f53/disc-brakes-what-size-use-4-a-29953.html

Thats one good looking/ strong wheel.

P.S. --->

Fellow MBers Builders & Enthusiasts - please share your ideas.

Thanks! :)
Very informative link thank you WorksmnFL

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
That is rather cheap but how to you put a sprocket on it? Other than a rag joint of course, which Im done with.

In no particular order:

a. Manic Mechanic Sprocket Adapter

b. Sportsman Sprocket Adapter

c. grubee sells one too complete with sprocket attached

(sorry, just google or search to find sources, im falling asleep...zzz) :)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks to Jburr36 for his source info:
Niagara Cycle Works on Amazon!

:) niiice!
[23:57] jburr36 yes from sick bike parts
[23:56] jburr36 Amazon.com: Redline xCO500 Rim 26" x 1.75" 36 Hole Black: Sports & Outdoors for the rims. I can't order the spokes yet until I get the rims and hubs to measure for the online calculato
r
[23:56] worksmanFL r u using a jackshaft?
[23:55] jburr36 Amazon.com: Sturmey Archer XL-FD Front Drum Hub 36h: Sports & Outdoors for the front hub
[23:54] jburr36 Amazon.com: Sturmey Archer S80 8 Speed Internal Drum Brake 36H: Sports & Outdoors for the rear hub
[23:54] jburr36 niagara cycle works.
[23:54] worksmanFL holy cow so many choices on amazon
[23:53] worksmanFL ok, any particular seller? ---> i'm trying to help me and the forum with my thread - heavy duty wheelset sources
[23:51] jburr36 one minute and I'll find the links

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Here is a disc brake adapter specifically:

Mountain Bikes | MTB | Road Bikes | Bike Frames | All Terrain Cycles

Last time I searched, I couldnt find a US source.

I think this will work.

Seasoned MB Builders:

What do you guys think?

Thanks guys!