For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I got a lot done today, got the grill in and man was that a job. It would be much easier with a helper. The headlights in and everything wired up. Then I started on the door glasses, got the drivers door completed and all but the interior trim on the passenger side. I still have to put the door seals on along with the trunk lid seal but my parts shelf is emptying out some.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow! You move faster than me. I changed all of the flexible fuel lines on my hot rod a few days ago and it turned into an all day job. Ethanol was eating them up and one started leaking. I had changed them four years ago for the same reason and the fuel line I used was supposed to be ethanol resistant. HA! There is only three short ones, the rest is steel tubing but Getting them off and new ones on was a task. Or maybe I'm just out of practice.

It sure is looking good. Keep the progress photos coming.

Who is insuring the '50' Greg? I've been using Hagerty for a long time. Never had a claim but they were cheaper than anyone else for our kind of cars. They specialize in hot rods and classics.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom the ethanol is a real problem, I had to pull the edelbrock carb off of my GMC last week and clean it out. Its been on the truck three years with a inline filter, it had what looked like wet yellow baby power in the bottom of both bowls. After blowing out all the jets and checking the float adjustments its as it should be again. If a vehicle sits for anytime at all the fuel seems to separate leaving the "corn" in the carb bowl.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tom , I don't know if you ever described your rod history in detail and your endeavors to get it built but I would like to read the spec details and maybe any stumbling blocks , if any , along the way when you first went after your project . Did you have any fails with it when it was being assembled and driven ? Does it ride over bumps smoothly . Would a guy like me , with a bad back , think he was sitting in an old corvette ? Just curious .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg,
Yep, the alky can play havoc with things. I have to replace the accelerator pump diaphragm on my Holly about every two years. Ethanol turns them to stone.

Lefty,

It was a six year project starting with a complete 1930 Ford 2 door sedan. I kept only the body and sold the rest and built the frame and went from there. It would fill a book to tell you about the construction. I have a photo album with 30 pages of pictures beginning from the day I brought the body home until it was finished and on the street.

Basically it is pure street rod. 350 Chevy engine and 350 Turbo transmission. The engine is not race car material but built enough so I can, keep up with traffic:)
Four wheel power disc brakes, power windows, no air conditioning though. Tilt steering wheel and reclining seats make it easy for our old bodies to slide in without wrenching our back. Once in there's plenty of room to stretch out. It's a firm ride but softer than the 62 Vett I used to own.

I'll PM you with details if you want. Way too much to tell about the building of the car here. It is a comfy ride however. It's geared for the highway, not the drag strip. I can cruise at 70 @ 2300 rpm. 23mpg.

Tom

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
I have the wealth but not the health to get involved with such a great looking street machine . I know from a 28 year experience I had with a 62 HD came stories of successes and failures . All interesting to me , maybe to some others also . I wanted to someday involve myself with something new , like a vintage car, but I am going through a 5 year recovery plan and am only in my first year. I do choose to still dream .

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I am certainly glad that I'm a rare breed in that I don't want more stuff.......

However, I certainly like to improve the stuff I've got ----- tow-mate-o, ta-mat-o, I guess! Just spent the biggest part of a 100* degree day in the garage upgrading the brakes on my hoopty (2006 Nissan Altima --- don't want a new car, just upgrading what I have.............lol). All four corners now have drilled/slotted rotors and the front has carbon pads, ceramic on the back. Even refreshed the yellow paint on the calipers. This is one of the last non-anti-lock brake cars, but it will stop NOW.

Now, I will need to upgrade my memories with a killer mountain road adventure.

But, I don't need more 'stuff'......LOL

(Maybe I need to upgrade to air conditioning in the garage..............)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"A killer mountain road". Hmmmm. Seems like an excuse to make another Colorado visit.
We have plenty and we're willing to share them with flatlanders any time :) And you know where to find me. Next time it's a steak dinner instead of Mexican.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
"A killer mountain road". Hmmmm. Seems like an excuse to make another Colorado visit.
We have plenty and we're willing to share them with flatlanders any time :) And you know where to find me. Next time it's a steak dinner instead of Mexican.

Tom

Maybe the first part of October. Maybe......

My Hilton Head, SC trip turned into a Naples/Marco Island/Key West, FL trip a few weeks ago. Had a house on the beach with a swimming pool ----- just 'upgrading' the memories!

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hello 2 Door & any friends that may remember me. I'm still banned from chat I see. Oh well. Paul's mainframe sent me a happy birthday greeting so I just showed up to be here I guess. I'll go away now, don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Good Morning. Going to be a stellar day. Got my 66cc OCC Schwinn Chopper on the launch pad. Just sippin' coffee & waitin' on 7 am so I can ride to the store & pick up some birthday beer. I am now older than dirt.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I'm old enough to remember when ever kid that had a pickup at school also had a gun rack with a 30-06 and a 12 Ga. shotgun, we didn't ever get in trouble or cause any.

Last edited: