Custom Frame For Thumper Motor

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by culvercityclassic, Apr 8, 2011.

1. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

That's a great looking design Pat, the split sprocket is o so handy! I Jeff can't break, I may be able to.......is that about 60t? The MM adapter I got at Willow won't stay put so it's off of the race bike, I've got something stronger that won't fail come race time. New wheelset done this weekend, think Atomlab, Surly w/ whimpy, stretchy WTB 12G SS spokes.

Is that hub goin on the 160 or the 200? If it goes on your big race bike and that's a 60t or thereabouts, it should make your gearing just about right!

Keep up the great work Pat, we need it!

dnut

2. sportscarpat

sportscarpat Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

Thanks guys. I have plenty of hubs available. I burned through the sprocket kits pretty quick but more are coming. As for tooth count I can supply as small as a 40t with this design and as large as a 26" wheel can swing before the sprocket hits the ground!

3. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Well-Known Member

You discussed a 56 teeth rear spocket before, I’m curious how many teeth are on the CVT side?

And with those big gears do you even ever need to pedal...?

-Kirk

4. scotto-

It's a 10T coming off the CVT.....and no, the pedals are pretty much just for looks....you don't pedal these giants.

dnut

5. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Well-Known Member

Hope to not go to far OT here, but I’ve been picking up components for my own Thumper built- I have the Greyhound 6.5hp and Comet Torq-o-verter with a 10t gear.

I’m not building a racer and plan to pretty much use the engine stock with a Mikuni carb. If fact I’m more interested in being able to climb the hills in my neighborhood, but still have a reasonable top end for the flats.

For this what would the experienced recommend for the rear sprocket?

Thanks!,

-Kirk

6. culvercityclassic

culvercityclassic Well-Known Member

Mr. B I like a 50 tooth, you will "B" really happy with the performance.

7. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Well-Known Member

I "C"cc

Thanks Man!

-Kirk

8. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

I got to test ride that monster last weekend on the Venice ride... The pedals are only for helping to do easy wheelies!! ;)

9. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

jeff, you and pat should incorporate your chain tensioner and his split sprockets, and you guys would have a winning combo for quick gear changes.

thats an awesome product. i just wish they were somehow available with smaller sprockets. anything over a 32 and i'm winding out.

i could always put a 40 on with one of my motors and build a bike that'll do donuts and burnouts...:)

10. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

With your 24 inch tires I say it sure would..boogy1a

11. sportscarpat

Hey Baird,
    If you can't get the right sprocket for the engine, then get the right engine for the sprocket. I see a clone in your future.

12. culvercityclassic

Hey Pat don't send hi in that direction yet... We need some fame for a bit...lol. I am sure he will cross the line in due time....

13. scotto-

Was gonna go with 24" wheels on my current race bike but I felt like it may be like cheating :D

Hey MB, I've been running a 52T on mine and it's been perfect with my CVT and j-shaft set-up......front end comes up reeeal ez .wee.

I may run a 56T at Grange, it will be like riding a unicycle laff

dnut

14. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

i have a goal with these two strokes. i've got a 50cc on the way, which i plan on beating on it to the point where i can challenge the land speed record at bonneville. i've studied it, mapped it out, and set my mind to it, and next year, if everything falls into place, it's me, a crappy chinese stump puller engine on a 1940's bicycle, beating the current class record of 80 something miles an hour.

confidence-wise, i think i can pull it off. reality-wise, i can get close enough that there's nothing else i coulda done to beat it.

while you guys are making fragile bicycles to hold giant paint sprayers, i'm trying to make a lawn edger into a rocket booster.

15. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

And we old guys are just trying not to fall off our bikes as we watch you go by.

Pat, that's a great design with the sprocket. Why not a smaller sprocket? My Sachs engine calls for a 28T. It would be nice to be able to change the gearing depending on where I am... mountains or flatland. What is the hub you're using? Nice to have the combination available. Also would be nice to have an easy source for 12 and 11 gauge spokes in lengths for either a 24 or 26 rim. Just wishing...
    SB

16. sportscarpat

Hey SB,
    On my drum hub I used the adapter plate thickness to establish the correct offset with a flat sprocket. From there we needed to come up with a sprocket bolt pattern. This pattern was chosen based on available sprocket blanks, which are common and therefore cheaper in current standard sizes. The sprocket bolt pattern has a specific call out number so you can easily order from various suppliers. Give them the tooth count and pattern number with chain size and you can get the sprocket made. Same split pattern as Jr. dragsters and Karts. I can go smaller than 40t, and may, but it will not be a split design.
    Spokes? There are spoke companies that can easily make any spoke diameter and length you need including 11ga for 24" wheels.

#196 sportscarpat, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  17. dmb

dmb Active Member

hey CCC a ''snuff or not'' from the 60's honda 305 scrambler would be nice on the end of that exhaust pipe and you could set it on quiet to sneek around like i used to back then.

18. culvercityclassic

DMB whats that exhaust...show me

19. scotto-

I remember those things.....it's like a butterfly valve ( washer with a hole in it ) that was a tail piece for the exhaust. That is still a pretty funny joke as I see it......they worked so well, I forgot about them laff

dnut

20. culvercityclassic

I have been riding this bike around a lot lately and felt the pull starter pulley needed a new design. This is the prototype till I get the billet machined one made. It is really not bad with rope starting it.

Attached Files: