Custom Frame for Board Track Thumper

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Looking good, The 26" rear made a huge difference for me. I really like how you mounted the tank form underneath, it give it a nice clean look. Have you gotten to ride it yet? I forgot what size engine you used and I'm curious to see how it does. Also in the last photo you posted it looks really long. How long is this bike?
It's a 160 cc Honda that should make at least 6 hp with the exhaust and pipe. The bike is long, 55 inch from Axel to Axel. I wanted it long for comfort since I plan on doing some long rides.

I am running a disk and coaster brake on the rear, I just like the way it looks with no front brake. Just a note: this is not a race bike.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I made a stand for the bike so I could work on it...got the carb in today, I will need to make some modifications since the manifold is made for clone 6.5 The carb will be at a slight offset to clear the disk brake. The carb sure looks nice on this motor I must say...

Was welding the tank brackets on but ran out of wire in the welder...chit

Tomorrow is another day...I will try to have it running this Friday...

Attachments

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
are you going to run a fuel pump? I seen that Scotto is Running one on his build. also what jet size are you going to try?
glenn

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Yey, it's on the home stretch! Good work CCC. Hey, I think your belt may be on the loose side from the picture. I know you have a disk brake there , but can you shift the tranny rearward or the engine forward for tightening of the belt? Or use a shorter belt? It's going to stretch one time around the 400-500 mile range and be sloppy causing engagement problems. I know this because I had to fix this myself. Beautiful work though. You must be proud.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks good, Jeff! I like the way those 160 engines look. Less of a compromise with intake and exhaust. It would sure be cool if someone could come up with some billet cases for the GC160 and GX200 and give us some engine mounts like the old bikes.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I finished the bike and got it running tonight. The motor sounds awesome with the straight pipe. The big day is tomorrow...the first ride.

I am going to make a battery box behind the seat tube and wire in some lights and thats it.

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Looking beautiful!

Have you seen this shroud at all? You'd want it shorter of course for your rope, but it'd get rid of the white fins, eh?

Now tell your son to get off his butt and get us a vid of you booting around. :)

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice job Jeff! Cool you could share the moment with your son, too. Guy's, once you fire up your first "big block" four stroke there is no going back. These engines are just that cool.........

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
The red air filter is so bright it becomes a focal point. I would pull the red outer layer off and run it with the grey filter that's underneath. Definitely a great looking bike with so many custom parts. Can't wait to hear how the GC engine compares with the GX style engines. Nice work!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Dangit I get a IO error on the video player screen . Love the bike Culver! Can't seem to be able to watch the video?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Very nice! Nothing like the sound of a four stroke. So do you have any impressions after riding? Like the CVT? Power? Are you going to label the tank with your motor Co name? Nice job CCC. Video worked for me. You can delete the fins on the flywheel by taking off the center bolt.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ah Firefox and add block with noscript go figure. Used Google Chrome. Brillant craftsmanship. That is a sweet ride!(^)

Dagwood

Aug 4, 2011
ilinois
CCC, I sure like the design here. I have decided to use a GC160 with a CVT in my next build, and this thread simply confirms, and inspires me in that choice. It seems to me the GC series Hondas are just about the very best choice in a 4 stroke for a motorized bike..unless you need more power..(or I should say want more power, cant imagine needing it!) due to the aftermarket performance parts available for the GX series engine, and none for the GC. A big factor for me was the weight...the GC160 is the lightest weight 5 hp motor in the industry. This seems to be a no-brainer especially at its low price, low vibration, and the vertical cylinder configuration is great for a MB...and you have solved the engine center problem with the mod to the CVT output sprocket.(which I will unashamedly copy on mine).Thanks for shareing!
OH..and for those interested..here is a weight comparison on the Honda small engines:
GX35= 7.6 lbs
GX50= 12.1 lbs
GX100=23.4 lbs
GC160= 25.4 lbs
GX120= 28 lbs
GX160= 33 lbs
(GX160 clones generally weigh a pound or 2 more than the Hondas, and some of them 3 lbs more we have found)

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Very nice! Nothing like the sound of a four stroke. So do you have any impressions after riding? Like the CVT? Power? Are you going to label the tank with your motor Co name? Nice job CCC. Video worked for me. You can delete the fins on the flywheel by taking off the center bolt.

John: my first impression was this bike is big but after riding it around town it is by far my favorite bike now. I did have a few small issues with it, for one like you mentioned the belt on the CVT was too long..Glad I had another belt from the other bike that was the perfect size. It made a world of difference. The second issue was the caliper was too close to the disk so while braking it was grinding on the perimeter of the disk, I made some adjustments and all is good now. The brake system works awesome and needs very little effort to stop the bike. I feel a front brake is in the future.

Now to the motor: It took a little to get it started since I was not using the stock carb, adjustments were necessary. The motor runs so smooth and has all kinds of power. I rode the bike all day today with traffic, had a blast and feel this is the perfect motor if you want to cruz. The bike will do 40 mph no problem. I am SOLD on the performance of the CVT. Best of both worlds...low end and top end with-out winding the motor out.

I listened to AGK and removed the outer (red) filter cover, what a difference in the look. Thanks

Bottom Line: I am more than pleased with the bike and its performance...It's the CHIT...Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to ME...lol

I will post a video of the bike in action...soon...

Last edited: