Creativity without bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Swanage has been attended. I am awaiting good photo evidence, but I can state that while I was just myself, both of the coats I painted were stars.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Puts a grin on my face Sir Lud. Lookin' good. If you ever make it to the Washington, DC area I can arrange a performance at our Town Hall. I have a good friend with a band and maybe we could arrange a charity gig.

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was told by one time served singer, Paul Harris, a little while ago that it does make a difference to an audience when a performer makes an effort, that there is a sort of contract involved between them in that the performer wants their applause and they want him/her/questions will be asked to be something special. This was backed up by Paul Dubbelman, a photographer; he says that many musicians simply give him nothing to work with when they step up on stage looking like they've come to dig the garden, and worse still, spend the entire time toe gazing.

I'm wearing the New Orleans coat mostly when I do open mics now, I paid for it, I'm going to get the use out of it. The butterfly one gets the best reaction from people though, and I'll ration that. It's not bad for £2 from a charity shop, £4 of acrylic 200ml tubes and some leftover house paint.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Have you read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance? There's a section where Pirsig's BMW riding friend rejects shims cut from an old can to hold his bars in place, preferring to reach a dealer who will sell him the "correct" strips of metal. We all do it here, reuse things or find the hidden shape inside something that we can release.

People now buy beautifully made cajons, percussion instruments which were originally cheap South American packing cases but are now a form of quality furniture. It's ridiculous, they're boxes and you hit them, that's all.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...d=0ahUKEwiExoLzq-XZAhVqL8AKHVaCAhAQuw0IyQMoAw

Here, pardon the poor image quality, it's just a phone, is my answer. An old case, with one sprung rivet and abandoned. It cost me one self tapping screw, and hitting the sliding door gives anywhere between a high hat tchik and the crack of a snare drum. Plus you can carry cables, plugs, spam sandwiches, whatever, in it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.B.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Read that book decades ago and probably have it here somewhere. At you still in the mood for a good old washboard? Saw two today in a local shop. The boards are cheap, but what would it cost to get it to you. Any idea?

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
$$$$$? I must get a picture of the Hitty Thing. Washboards being in short supply here, I looked around for something to do a similar job. Enter a louvred door for a cupboard. It failed to make much noise when rested against the body. A sound box was added. This is a spare meat roasting tin. Little brother was given the assembly, and promptly found that sitting down, door on legs and tin uppermost, allowed him to make drum noises. With the addition of a piece of chicken wire, it's like brushes on a snare drum. There is an old guitar strap on it for ease of carriage. Definitely must get a picture of him with it. And he named it the Hitty Thing, and he confesses to being less than a percussionist; he is Britain's leading Concussionist.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm off to Paris on Tuesday, and have to create 2 art coats while I'm there. The technique will be masking, fabric adhesive and glitter. This is just the test piece. Durability is questionable, but for a bunch of aged children for a few days it will last well enough. It can be patched up if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks for the video Lud. Ya know, the Central Pennsylvania Rally could use both your musical and artistic talents. If nothing else you could paint butterflies and zebras on Jay's face.

Dan

Reactions: Russell

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have decided to kill the Nudie Suit idea since I bought a hat in Paris that goes with the Butterfly Jacket; the result of this is that I will wear a green shirt I already own and a pair of green trousers. Shoes, dunno. A colour which is not black or brown may be used. While we were there, Johnno Mack joined us, and we made an impromptu decorated coat using glue and glitter. He is now contemplating a further development of his own devising.

France 04-2018-3 Johnno Mack.jpg
France 04-2018-2 Johnno Mack.jpg

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Butterfly Coat in action, and the New Orleans coat with newly altered lapels with gold glitter on them. The hats are cheap items, there are butterflies from a 70p art sticker sheet on the one.

Swanage Bay View jam - 6-10-2018 aa.png
Red Lion open mic 8-10-2018 Percy in background reduced.png

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Good to be back. I haven't been around, feeling guilty at taking part but not being actively working on anything. It'll take a while to get at the bike, but I'll give Doug a hand every now and again to clear some space and fix things up in his new unit. I will wear something warmer next time I go over. It's a 1905 building, and I think it's leaking all the heat back to that date.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
MD Kit of the month Dec 08 .jpg
SC #7 .jpg
Have you read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance? There's a section where Pirsig's BMW riding friend rejects shims cut from an old can to hold his bars in place, preferring to reach a dealer who will sell him the "correct" strips of metal. We all do it here, reuse things or find the hidden shape inside something that we can release.

People now buy beautifully made cajons, percussion instruments which were originally cheap South American packing cases but are now a form of quality furniture. It's ridiculous, they're boxes and you hit them, that's all.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...d=0ahUKEwiExoLzq-XZAhVqL8AKHVaCAhAQuw0IyQMoAw

Here, pardon the poor image quality, it's just a phone, is my answer. An old case, with one sprung rivet and abandoned. It cost me one self tapping screw, and hitting the sliding door gives anywhere between a high hat tchik and the crack of a snare drum. Plus you can carry cables, plugs, spam sandwiches, whatever, in it.
Related to your theme, here's a Hitty thing i made some time ago-
Complete drum kit in a suitcase.
Gots me a little notoriety on a vintage drum forum i belong to and I've ended up making several more for resale since then...

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Saw them on Facebook. Excellent as always. I was chuckling about the drummer. A friend of mine years ago said if he had his sticks with him and he could find something that resonated he was in for the game.

Steve.