Creativity without bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Brother loves coat, reckons some musicians he knows may want their own versions!

He has instructions devised to deter timewasters. £150 up front, they supply the coat themself so there's no argument over the fit of it, and I have total control over execution of the garment.

Reactions: fasteddy

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Fasteddy would look good ridin' in one of your coats Lud. He could become your North American distributor.
Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can see it turning into a part time occupation, which would mess with the pension and support arrangements in this country. They're designed to trip you up like a goony bird in a documentary, just as you're ready to take off, you go arse over tit.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I'm not familiar with the set up in your country, but I had a similar situation when I began collecting my Social Security benefits that we all pay in to our entire working life. I had closed down my business and then was asked by a friend to help part-time in his machine shop. That worked out well for both, but then he needed me full-time which affected my Social Security benefits. I was able to get it figured out and worked seversl more years until the arthritis said "no more".

Good luck with your venture.

Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dan, I could be the North American distributor but I'm afraid Ludwig is correct. The powers that be would indeed be after us faster than a hen after a June Bug. I'm sure there are work arounds to get to keep part of what you make but by the time you pay the people who would supply them there would be precious little money for the effort.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The dust is settled from this one, and it has inspired a couple of doers, not talkers, to take up their own brushes. This is good, and another individual will be ordering iron on music notes for a coat of his own.

Amusingly a photographer friend, who is also an accountant and innately orderly, finds he is bothered by the very deliberate lack of symmetry.

The future holds 2 coats, to deal with a number of ideas which arose during the painting of this one. I didn't want to do another, but you know how it is, you built the first bike, and there was this way it could have been done, and in another colour etc.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Sir Lud, it will interesting to see where this endeavor leads. I was in the "Creativity without Motorbikes" business for over 25 years. It was metalwork (Tinsmith) and each piece was hand cut, formed, assembled and soldered together. The only "modern" tool used was an electric soldering iron. The machines used (many early 1900's) were all hand and foot operated. So throughout the process small variables made each item unique. Most customers weren't aware and those that were appreciated the fact they were hand made start to finish by myself. But then, you had the folks who would line many of the same item up and spend an inordinate amount of time choosing one that suited them. Some would even comment on things they perceived to be wrong. Your accountant friend might fit that category. Symmetry is a wonderful thing and is normally pleasing to the eye, but I find it limits creativity, especially with something like you are doing.
Let it flow baby!

Good luck,
Dan

Reactions: Russell

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I bought a blazer yesterday, intending to paint it. £2 from a charity shop, and on getting it home and trying it on in front of my wife, her Value Radar started flashing.

The fit, cut and details of it said ££. The material turns out to be a merino wool and mohair mix, so now it's going £££. I looked up the label, and it's a shop in Jermyn St in London, so ££££.

Going through their various styles and materials, the normal list price is £179. I am now commanded to take it to be properly dry cleaned and pressed, and "don't you dare go near it with a paintbrush!".

Back to square one and try to find something that's only ok.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Today, a new £2 coat, nothing like as good or worth keeping standard. It will probably be Monday that the first layer goes on, taking about a week of sessions to finish it.

One thing I found, there are lots and lots of iron on patches in all sorts of styles available, so anyone with an iron could create their own Nudie suit. Some of you may raise an eyebrow and ask what a Nudie suit actually is:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n...1OTYAhUGLMAKHTMGAlwQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=637

But that's A, spending money, B, using someone else's artwork to produce the finished item. You may understand my discomfort at creating a suit this way.

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Sir Lud, I have to admit to owning two coats that are worn on very special occasions. I didn't decorate them, they are wonderful all on their own and reactions and comments are also wonderful Likely to wear one this weekend to a "cultural" event where most folks don't know me and the ones who do totally understand. It makes people smile.and wonder.

Nudie Suit ------Nudie Cohn the man at ground zero of what you are doing.
Have fun,

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The story is that he found his way into supplying stage wear via making G strings for strippers. Now that's an interesting thought, the measuring process.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Coat number 2 is under way. I call the coloration Architect Sketch. A friend has described it as Moul
Architect Sketch 21-1-18e.jpg
dy Suede. I prefer my version.