Creativity without bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I came back from New Orleans with a coat painted by the local artist, Charles O Anderson.

https://www.circa.com/story/2017/08...les-anderson-wants-to-add-mayor-to-his-resume

Christmas is coming up, and I was at a loss what to give to my brothers. I have now decided one is getting an electric guitar that he cannot play and an amplifier that doesn't work, the other is getting US $4 he cannot spend here and a jacket he won't wear except on special occasions.

Inspired by the New Orleans coat, and with the aid of unused household paint and some pastry cutters for stencils, I am decorating a £2 charity shop blazer for him. This is not finished yet.
4-12-17 2.JPG
121217b.JPG

Reactions: fasteddy

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can't get on with mine for various reasons, but I'm not out of circulation, and need to be making something. Now, who else has other things outside of the bikes?

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr Lud, I have taken up working with leather every once in a while. Although the arthritic hands don't think much of it, the brain likes it a lot. I also do a little work with wood and glass. Silverbear is quite an artistic fella. Maybe he'll chime in on this topic.

Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Lud! You were in the U.S!?

I'd have flown down to N.O. to say hey! Love it down there, any way.

But dang. Sorry I missed ya.

the other brudder, Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Lud, don't believe anything "Dan" says, he doesn't really know how to fly, we just always went along with it so he still thinks he can fly.

"Other Brother" Dan

Reactions: Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well then, you and the "Udder Brudder" Dan should get along quite nicely Lud. because that's what he does. Maybe the next time you venture over this way and give enough warning a couple of us could meet up for bit. I think I have a friend from this area (DC) who attends a blues festival there. I might see him in the morning and I'll ask. He has been attending for years and has a place to stay I believe.

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We have some nice festivals here. Twice a year I do the Swanage blues festival at the start of March and October. Free gigs, good quality music and a friendly atmosphere. Mostly in the flat parts of town. The truly fearless and come to the open mics and jams and hear what I do to innocent guitars.

http://www.swanage-blues.org/default.aspx?p=nextfes

The jacket is down to the sleeves stage now, so finished in 6 or 7 days. I don't know that I'd do another one as a hobby, but part of me thinks a purely butterfly blazer or one with 1" stars on a black bacground would be nice to have.

151217b.jpg

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You have my word upon it, any contract to produce a similar vestment would be couched very firmly in my favour. Tonight I started on the butterflies on the sleeves. It should all be done by Wednesday or Thursday, and I can think about the next thing to try.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lud, don't believe anything "Dan" says, he doesn't really know how to fly, we just always went along with it so he still thinks he can fly.

"Other Brother" Dan
Lol, Dan! Right hand raised. The next morning after reading your post, I was ubering with a passenger onboard past my grade school. And told her this childhood story of at 6 or 7, I had no idea that, I in fact could not fly.

So I bravely climb to the top of the monkey bars, stretch my hands out and push off with all my might.

I landed face down with outstretched hands exactly as I had lept off the top.
Blood pouring out of my nose and completely confused as to what went wrong.

According to Douglas Adams, English author of the "Hitchhiker's guide to the universe" I had simply forgot to become distracted and miss. (The Earth)

Gravity. Not just a good idea. It's the law!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Yeh, that gravity law is for real and seems to get stronger as I get older. Things seem much heavier if I have to pick them up off the ground let alone if I have to pick myself up off the ground. So I just figure gravity is stronger closer to the ground!

Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
And add beer to that!

I didn't go to math school or nuttun but Man!

It rises exponentially..... (carry the one.....

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Finished! I don't anticipate doing another one, but there are ideas about technique and style sloshing around in the vast empty ocean of the mind.
211217a.jpg

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well if Udder Brudder Dan was wearing that coat he might actually be able to fly down to New Orleans to join you. Nicely done Lud!

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have created ripples in the universe. One artist here is interested in doing her own take on the stencil idea, and a sax player at tonight's open mic at the Tower Of Song has decided, seeing my New Orleans coat, to do one of his own. I feel good about it, people taking hold of artistic ideas and expanding them is one of the greatest things in the world.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
There are folks who will pay money for something like that. but your hourly rate would be disappointing.

Dan
I amazed when the wife & I go to craft fairs. I see things that are priced way below ehe hours put into them. I remember saying to one woman " How can you sell that so cheap, it must have taken hours"? Her reply was "I would have done it anyway, I might as well recive what the materials cost".

Damm, it is a shame that people cannot recive the real worth of thier efforts, that is why i never sell any of my motor bicycle builds. i always laugh to myself, when I think "After I'm gone my kisd will have a yard sale and sell my MB builds for $25 each". At least I hope that one person enjoys them as much as I have!

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Jim, tell your kids I'll give 'em $50 for each of your bikes, but you'll probably out live me ya old Marine ya.

Dan