Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The weirdest thing just happened for the second time. The lathe (Larry) is soaking wet like someone hosed it off. Not a bit of water anywhere else and it is condensation.

Could just cover it every night but just an extra little hassle.

Really not getting this one. There is plenty of ventilation, no water leaking. Very perplexing.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Yep it condensation. The biggest issue in maintaining the machines in my shop over the years was just that. I'm no scientist, but I think the large temperature swings in winter cause it. That being the case Once I started the woodstove in the winter I pretty much kept it going 24-7 to keep it controlled. If I would be gone for several days and the temp would drop into the 30-40 degree range it would take days for the machines and tools to get back to a comfortable temp. Using cold hand tools all day and handling cold sheet metal is not fun.

In the summer time I ran a window A/C on low just to remove the moisture from the shop.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
.....but note to self; DO NOT START BIKE ON HOIST WITH OUT SECURING CLUTCH!

The guts spun off and shot south & down, taking out a tool box latch, ricocheted up and off the wall. Then shot directly into a north wall at great speed. No idiots were hurt in this folly..... But did have a good laugh after climbing out from under a bench
Had a good laugh with this, as reminded me of when i was helping a friend build a trailer for his lawn tractor. Was cutting and grinding away,and then had to use his metal cut off saw. Didn't know he had fire works stoerd on the shelf
started baning and popin then really started on fire tosed most out side and popin out there to. He had to recharge his fire extingisher when it was all done...............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep still get a big laugh when we tale about it. I was worred about his garage going up in fire and he could hardly get the fire extinwisher he was laughing so hard.......Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
GM Curtis and Dan,
The Tinsmith is right about the metal.
That iron machine, with it's mass greater than most things draws more condensation from the air than many other things. High quality blend of whatever it is, chances are it will rust up terribly if not well greased, all the time!
Throw a canvas over it will allow it to get worse before you see it.
Plastic is worse.
A workstation electric lightbulb, on 24/7 might help to de-humidify that immediate area.
:) Dan always funny!... Unless the shop is hermetically sealed you are not gonna be able to keep humidity out. :)
Probably best to swab the entire machine with the cutting oil you are using.
Bright, sunny, clear sky Christmas morning here in Kalifornia! :)

Best
rc

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi Rusty
Yep went through that every time i built a fire and every spring when it warms up. Now have a furnace in my shop and keep it at 40+,turn it up when i go to work on stuff.
Thats how the septic systems keep from frezing is hang a 100 watt bulb down in them.

Feal like London fog here snow gone,been having fog and drizzel,haven't seen the sun for long time. Supose to snow tomorrow................Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Guys! thinking old sheet.

Might try a small heat lamp pointed at it. Can't hurt but is it just a wast?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Heat lamp not required, Dan... as Curtis said, just a 100w bulb.
A reflector might be nice, for when using the machine.
...and just because 'other' people read this stuff, them curly pig tail cfl bulbs won't work! lol

...had no clue about light bulb in the septic tank! ...imagine that!

lol Out in the high desert, I saw a number of denizens dig a good sized hole, roll an old car down into it, all the windows up, except for one down 4", insert the poopie pipe in that window and cover the whole thing up. Guaranteed for at least a couple years! Then bury another junk car.
:)
rc

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's a shame we can't be there a thousand years in the future to see what an archaeologist will make of this terrible thing.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hi Lud,

Actually, here, they are a popular spot for bottle collectors.

They get really excited if they can discover one that has not been searched before!
rc

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOOL you should insolate it would cut down on the moisture and be warmer and also KOOOOLer in the summer.............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Definitely the plan, Curt! Keep forgetting and thanx for bringing it up.

This worked out awesome. Kinda nice to just scribble on a wall and erase at will. Just relearned how to do ratios. Math is difficult for me but so important with this work.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan looks like you been doin some bodinin on the white board, with all the goesentas and all.
(The Beverly Hillbillys)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol Greg. (in Bronx accent) I ain't got no clue what that means over 'ere"

Can ya translate into Yankee for me?

is it like "cycpher'n?

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Jethro Bodine graduated the fifth grade on the TV show, uncle Jed would have him do some multiplication, Jed called it goesintas or go into's. I had the show on my mind since ellamae past away Friday .

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep i will have to get one of them boards and hang it. Another thing that works good is the big office calanders the kind that has day to day squares. you just take it out turn the papper upside down and you have good scratch papper to draw and right on,take a # and trar it off sure is handy..............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jethro Bodine graduated the fifth grade on the TV show, uncle Jed would have him do some multiplication, Jed called it goesintas or go into's. I had the show on my mind since ellamae past away Friday .
LOL @ "go intos" that is funny and I missed it, entirely.

So sorry to hear about Ellame. Beautiful woman.