Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I gut specs of aluminum swarf all over the floor. Looks kinda cool and adds traction.

But stained the deck next to the door and took a handful ofaluminum shavings and sort of sprinkled it over the wet stain. On a ships deck and in the U.S. south, (and many places, I imagine) use crushed nut shells or sand mixed in the paint to add grit for traction. Works great and am hoping this works as well.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
deck with swarf

edit; after it sits for a day or 3, I'll sweep off the top stuff. But is grinding in well under foot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Remember the rotten tree I had to have cut down as it was gonna fall on the shop? The remnants are stacked near by. I was gonna cut a star shaped X pattern with a skill saw, put some old gas and burn em so they would hollow out and have a little fire on this cold day.

Before cutting the slits, I pour a cup of old gas on top as it is rotten and cravased. It lit up with a wooof. Then natural gas pockets started going Poof, poof, pop! LOL.

Its been burning for 10 or 15 mins and still hearing gas pockets go off. Is really cool. And warming.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan, I read that and thought, you were the kid I was told not to hang out with. But I am the kid your not supposed to hang out with, snork!

Really would be a sort of soft, flammable pipe bomb.

Got a little fire going on top of it now. Really pleasant. Haven't done a thing since I started it.

============================================================

Under where I stained the deck there was to oilly spots. Made for a nice base. I thought it would not allow the stain to penetrate. Might have to experiment more.

I forget who said it early on but the floor really is better in the spots where I spilled stuff, LOL.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have a bunch of used motor oil and was thinking of experimenting with staining the floor with a lite coat than staining over it.

I thought of this while staring at a fire.

(While staring at a fire, I was thinking of treating my floor with a flammable liquid) lol

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I have a wood floor in my shop and always been very concerned about setting it on fire. Always have a bucket of water around and probably should have a fire extinguisher too. I just remembered probably the most dangerous thing that ever occurred in this shop in almost 30 years.

It was the dead of winter and the wood stove was keeping things nice and toasty. My work bench is in the opposite corner of the shop 15 feet away. For some reason I was removing the torch fixture off a hand-held propane tank. When the tip came off the tank failed to seal and took off out of my hands across the shop towards the stove. It was spinning and bouncing off stuff and I was trying to catch up to it. Didn't know whether to stay after it or just open the door and get out. I did manage to open the door and finally pin it down with my foot, grab it and out the door with it. Don't know if there would have been enough propane to light up my life, but I never changed the torch tip inside the shop ever again, winter or summer.

If you do get creative with the stump take some pictures for us please.

Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh them pucker moments, eh? I cracked up at "lite up my life" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07-yKnKRMQ

I was actually burning sections of the trunk. Was so cool with the gas pockets. Can't wait to empty out the ash tomorrow and see how far it burned down. Nice little fire. We have so much wood rotting in the yard, it's a sin and terrible waste. Had all summer and didn't rig a stove.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
finally got around to starting the ramps. Dunno if it will be all along or 2 ramps with a step in the middle.

The stovepipe is gonna be for surprisingly enough, a stove chimney.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Next project;

Was planing on painting the walls white to help seeing and lighting. Also wanted to have nececery math equations posted around the shop so was gonna use dry eraser boards hung near what ever area. Then thought just get huge ones and feed 2 birds with one hand and found this; http://www.instructables.com/id/The-20-Dry-Erase-Board/ Using "Panel Board" as dry erase board and as interior walls.

Just gonna use it like dry wall. Cheap, solves 2 problems. It's $13.38 a sheet. Purty cool.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eucatex-...fty-Panel-Board-143973/204982659?N=5yc1vZbqp3

.wee.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The stretch of land the structure is on sweeps down but in a wavey fashion. It gives the ramp the optical illusion of being off plumb.
(I heard that!)

I have only a 2 foot level but it reads it is dead on. Dunno, just annoying.

It was 20 degrees colder than the stain suggested applying. So I did it twice. And not following the directions really shows.
I don't follow any ones rules. Only my own. I don't follow my own rules 'cause I don't follow any one's rules.

Using spare shingles to make no-slip skids. Looks nice and works well

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just gonna use it like dry wall. Cheap, solves 2 problems. It's $13.38 a sheet. Purty cool.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eucatex-...fty-Panel-Board-143973/204982659?N=5yc1vZbqp3

.wee.
That white coated thin pressboard is handy stuff but it has it's flaws.
The big one is it likes to curl, a lot.
If you are going to nail/screw it up like drywall you might want to run some waist high cross studs to nail between vertical studs, as well as good ceiling and floor headers to resist the curling.

I'm a paper and stick pins guy and any wall space is fair game.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That white coated thin pressboard is handy stuff but it has it's flaws.
The big one is it likes to curl, a lot.
If you are going to nail/screw it up like drywall you might want to run some waist high cross studs to nail between vertical studs, as well as good ceiling and floor headers to resist the curling.

I'm a paper and stick pins guy and any wall space is fair game.
Cool, thanx KC. Is only .188's thick. I was just gonna screw it to the studs.
With it length wise rather than vertical the way you would with drywall.

Thinking a razor to cut it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Cool, thanx KC. Is only .188's thick. I was just gonna screw it to the studs.
With it length wise rather than vertical the way you would with drywall.

Thinking a razor to cut it.
This stuff, hehehe, it was even warping lying down for the promo pic ;-}
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...t-Eucalyptus-White-Hardboard-447562/204727075

I just used a table saw with a fine thin blade on mine but the white coating chips on the edges no matter what you do.

Neat stuff that wipes off pretty easy and does reflect light well, it just likes to act like my wife's toes when we.... Never mind ;-}

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Another road side, your trash is my treasure, find.

I wanted a large mirror for behind "Larry the love Lathe" For extra light, I built the bench to high and this makes it easier to see the back of the work and gives me a view of the door behind me. It's not that I am paranoid but the voices do swear "they" are out to get me.

But tooling home in a rain/snow storm in my car, Saw this very old and ornate mirror on the side of the road. It had a soaked and illegible cardboard sign on it.
I hope it said free and not some thing like "$5"
'Cause then, I done stole it in front of God, my neighbors and every one.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"They" are out to get the guy that their mirror, Dan!
LOL, but they are! or are after me lucky charms. I never know.

Got my bench built....too hard to attach pics here....I give up
Racie, if ya want, email em to me and I will post for ya. Just PM me if you'd like.

Just the way I do it is use "paint" to resize pics.

Open paint. Then click on the blue box Top left and click on "open" then open/find picture you want.

Then click on "image" then "resize" Click on "pixels" and clear the horizontal and type in "2200" and save. (little disk icon next to revert arrow at top left) Then will post, no problem. (LOL@ "no problem")

But really is easier than it sounds.
Or can upload on any hosting site and copy and paste thumbnails for forums and blogs.