Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
GN, according to Google maps and on a regular bicycle, 277 hrs. Bet you can cut that in half on a MB, snork.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=san+deago+Cal&daddr=hartford+ct

I once flew from Europe to CT to be in "Dave's bar" in Mystic CT for Halloween. The bar was the old fire station until I think the 1950s when it burned down. (with the fire truck still in it)

Even weirder, I was an extra in the movie "Mistic Pizza" I played a drunken fisherman in the bar scene. LOL, I was type cast-ed!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mistic Pizza.
One of those 'chick flicks' that I can actually watch with my wife. I don't recall the acters name, Vincent something, but he played a boyfriend of one of the girls. Later he was 'Edgar' in 'Men in Black' amd later still was the heavyweight detective in one of those Law & Order spin-offs. I liked him as the bug in Men in Black better than a cop.
Char and I will have to dig it out of our archives and look for you, Dan. That's really cool!
Tom

EDIT: Char wants to know if you got to meet Julia Roberts...typical chick question.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Tom. I was only near her but did not speak at all. I did notice she was very kind and patient. Really weird thing is folks who excel at that kind of work are they are very thin, have huge noses and seem sort of blank. I have no idea why to any of that. I also did the barge and some of the marine work for the movie "I know what you did last summer" If you ever get a chance to see that movie, I would do some thing else, lol. The last scene is 2 people are hugging as they sail past the camera barge. It was sun rise and I was drinking my last beer supplied by "craft services" Was kinda a cool moment but so hooky.

Truly amazing thing about the movie making industry. They, all the folks work amazingly hard and fast. Military precision in execution. The woman who "herded" us extras for the mistic pizza thing met me once along with 200 others. The next day she said "Dan, your fine. Go ahead" I had to be dressed exactly the same as the day before. (Not a problem back then, lol. was probably in the same socks and draws)

I was so scared and stiff during filming that the director had me get up and "bum" a cig off another extra. We did this over and over.

Really funny thing. We all were supposed to be drinking beer. So they gave us soap filled bottles so it would look like foam. As we pretended to drink, the soap got on our lips. Ya just had to lick it off. I was in the head for 3 days after. Palmolive not only softens your hands, it loosens your bowels.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH! at the time, I was dating a woman who looked a lot like "Kat" the baby sitter. But mine was just slumbing it with a lowly mariner until she went off to school. I should have known. Her birthday was December 7th. LOL

Her first name was Carol too. Life is funny.

Tom, if you do dig out that movie, as they play pool, I am the guy in a plaid shirt who gets up and awkwardly goes to the next table, bums a cig and pretends to talk, laugh and in most of the takes, accidently swallows soap water.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I can picture the TV commercial now:
Look Madge, I cleaned my colon with it!
Palmolive, good for your hands, the best cleaning power for your dirtiest dishes, and sooo much more.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Got some more roof sheathing up. Great day. A whole lotta hard stuff got done and then got to let it all go by coming home to work on this. Big time Cathartic.

I can not cover the roof sheathing and is gonna rain. How bad is it gonna be? Any thoughts?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
around here in cottage country they build pretty much year round.you have the roof sheeted,its less of a concern now,flooring is worse when it gets wet.
unless it rains for weeks.

three years ago the whole summer was no more than three days without rain.

looking good.no plans for insulation?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan osb will take rain better than plywood in my experience, which did you use?
OSB Greg. Good to know, thanks!

around here in cottage country they build pretty much year round.you have the roof sheeted,its less of a concern now,flooring is worse when it gets wet.
unless it rains for weeks.

three years ago the whole summer was no more than three days without rain.

looking good.no plans for insulation?
Plans, yes. Money and materials, no. lol.

What I am thinking and wanted to ask about was wall with simple peg board and insulation.

But pretty much gonna be a really cold winter out there. Main goal, shelter tools to work with. CT is really only bad cold for 6 weeks or so in the winter.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The roof sheathing did not bode well wet. I can fix that along with all my other "opps"

got all but the last of the sheathing up. Also got it covered all well before today and tomorrow's rain. Covered it so I can start shingling when this new rain stops with out having to uncover the whole thing.. Turns out I volunteered to go to another wedding this weekend. (not sure why they keep asking us. I really hurt the open bar concept)

But got all the extra wood inside and started the ramp. Tom, ya made me feel guilty and now it is long and not steep. As the ramp is PT, I can do it in the rain or during lulls.

Kinda odd, stuff, tools and materials are moving inside. Kinda cool.

Any one else notice the poll colors sorta match the question? Been cracking me up for a while. Was not intentional.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Caught some extra work so have the cash for doors & windows. (LOL, like it was keeping any one but me up at night)

But really is cool. I gotta read back but hanging the tarp over the opening was a great Idea and was gonna be the deal until.

Thanks........

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
...GN. lol

If you do go with clear plastic for the sunlight, you will be much happier in the long run if you use Lexan (Polycarbonate) plastic rather than the cheaper Plexiglass.
It will be far more durable against impacts, snow weight, scratching, cracking and far less prone to yellowing over time.

I would really like to take you up on you beer offer. I wonder how long it would take me to ride my MB over to your place?

Doors? At the first H-D shop I worked at they used a Army surplus green (burlap sorta material but waaay better) tarp as a door for the storage shed. It was really heavy duty and after 12 years in the California sun it still was in excellent condition.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dan

You will enjoy your man cave when it is useable. Sure have been getting more done with the AC in my 12 x 20. The carpet is full of steel debris around the drill press. Do have a magnet on a pole to pick them up later.

All that is needed rite now is some bar oil, gas/oil mix and a log, then my Sawyer Career starts!! lol

Last week was able to buy a 29 ft pontoon boat for $1000 + 55 tax in Wis, won`t get to see it until late Spring 2013! Will be my Wisconsin "House for Battered Fish". (House Boat).

Are you going to run a flex pipe thru the wall, like my grand maw did wih her gas powered Maytag Washing Machine?? Think she must have used a 10/1 oil mix, thet pipe was pretty oily!

Your movie career reminds me. was in a bar yrs ago, had a fat cigar in my mouth and said to a good looking lady: You look familiar, are you an actress? She said : No, but you remind me of an actor with that cigar! Me; Who Errow Flynn? She; No Lassie with a turd in his month!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Ron.

The last line describes my acting very well. (Not kidding, scared the stuff out of me. Add to that being trapped in a crowded room. Another, not my thing, thing)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got most of the shingles up on one side. Architectural is a pita but man, looks great. Very country/shedesk lol.

Getting cold already.

Carol suggested doing just one of the peaks in clear plastic. That might be doable. Seems kind of extravagant right now though. But "there is nothing so permanent as that which is done just for now" (Capt. Foss) Meaning if I do just put up the siding, it will prolly be there forever. Might go with the plastic......

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man! "working" out back by myself on week ends is awesome. Cathartic and soothing. Have been really stressed of late and this really is just awesome.

Finished the one side of shingles today. Hung the "GN style" door. (read tarp, lol) and erected the scaffolding to start the other side of the roof Monday. Great, great day.

Would this be impoverished far eastern or red neck engineering? The main supports for the scaffolding are/is milk crates. (works really well)

Those weird things growing sort of sprouted and became some sort of sci fi phallic looking things.

This is really funny! We have a crab apple tree in the yard. I have for yrs been wondering why there were these little half eaten apples all over the yard. Turns out (I think) the squirrels are taking them up other trees and leaving them there to wait for them to ferment. While partaking of hard cider, they drop them.

Dang drunken rodents!

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have seen mushrooms hanging in the trees in one of our parks campgrounds,turns out a squirrel carries them up into the trees to dry them.

there is an apple orchard or a row of apple trees about a kilometre away from here,the bears get into the fallen apples that are fermenting,becoming intoxicated.there is something about drunken,drooling bears.rather funny.

i did my house in the same style of shingles,or similar to that.i found them easier than three tab shingles.no 6'ths to deal with,seemed we had less waste too.
just needed different shingles for starters and ridge cap.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man TJ, bet that is funny to see. As well as pretty dangerous.

Drunk Bear; "What's that supposed to mean?" ...and thats when the fight starts, lol.