Votes: 8 24.2%
  • other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Finished the trim on the end trusses/gable ends. Came out really good.

Went to take pics but the color of the stain at sunset does not photograph well.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The trim/fascia, bare wood looks awesome and draws your eyes away from the color of the rest. (So wish I was kidding) So gonna clear stain the corner boards and trim.

Ordered this; http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...&productId=203408766&R=203408766#.UEY2-sGPVbE

Came up with a cool way to hoist the trusses alone. The ends, just do the derrick thing. The middle 7, screw a 2x4 to them so they sort of look like a tree. Weight down the 2x4 with a weight on a hook on a rope so I can set them one at a time. Then do the next.
Like a pendulum.

Coolest thing, today it rained like , um. Rained hard. During a lull, I put a truss up (almost, I haddn't figured out how to errect it yet) just to see if they fit. There snaped in perfect! I was kinda worried.

dance1

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Just finished my bicycle storage shed. My workshop is in my basement but I don't like pushing my daily rider bikes up an down the basement ramp. So built this for easy access for my daily ride MB'S.

Attachments

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
got one wall in vinyl this weekend.would have got more done (grrr)
niece's car needed work(grrrr) 3 hour job is into nine and im barely half way done.
siezed bolts suck when they are surrounded by rubber.
have to cut up control arm to finish job.

you are making good progress,Dan.
i would spray brfore rolling anytime.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just finished my bicycle storage shed. My workshop is in my basement but I don't like pushing my daily rider bikes up an down the basement ramp. So built this for easy access for my daily ride MB'S.
Looks awesome Russell.

(Very fancy with all the walls being square and the same height, lol.)

got one wall in vinyl this weekend.would have got more done (grrr)
niece's car needed work(grrrr) 3 hour job is into nine and im barely half way done.
siezed bolts suck when they are surrounded by rubber.
have to cut up control arm to finish job.

you are making good progress,Dan.
i would spray brfore rolling anytime.
Frozen bolts do suck. I think that is why so many mechanics are grumpy.

I am having trouble getting pictures to reflect the actual color. Is looking good and really liking the look of it. Was more Mrs. idea to leave the trim natural looking threw not so great effort, lol.

Might try an actual camera.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Have a can of poly urethane. Judging by the can, it was produced in the 1950s. ( have some really, really scary old school chemicals and paints)

But I redid the floor in one room with this stuff around 10 or 12 years ago and it still looks awesome and brand new. So I did the trim with it. I know not the best choice but man it looks good and have no problem redoing it every year if need be.

Question, do you folks think that doing the corner boards "natural" as well will be over doing it? Is a really stark contrast. Looks so nice on the trim.

Don't want it to look like a car with gold medallions and chrome hubs or "Disco Stew" wearing gold and silver chains.

Guess I should just do it and can recover in the gawd-awful red if it is to ugly.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i prefer contrast,i did want to trim my corners with 2x6 painted green to match the roof,would look good with the white vinyl.
instead i went with j-channel for the corners to keep it slim,as those corner moldings are quite big.just the door frames and window frames will be green.i like it.

i think it will look good,the natural wood with the red (ish) stain will go nicely.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Raining, thunder storms and tornado warnings, oh my. LOL, no work done today.

Almost time to start setting up the solar. The panels would be in the shade most of the morning if close by. Or if moved to collect afternoon, not as good.

So was thinking about Goat's vid (hey Goat Man) and the solar powered steam plants that use mirrors that focus sunlight rays to a tower and super heat water and generate steam. Just focus mirrors to the panels which are preplaced to collect in the best location/angle.

The mirrors would be placed so as one becomes off target, another is becoming on-target. Follow the sun with out the panels them selves being moved.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Going with Ilikea's deep cycle suggestion but as cash flow allows, gonna go with the high tech ones like on ebikes. I think and am open to thoughts! For now, thinking truck batts from local recycle place. (No kidding, am trying to figure out how to pay for the odds and ends. Doors and such, snork)

I have been reading up on ebikes for this stuff but more 'cause I want to build one.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Would be way cool to use several methods of generating electricity and going off grid, in the middle of the city no less. If I could drill deep enough I could have a well for water even.
Daydreams, I gots lots of 'em.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome thought Nunya. No kidding could under hand toss a stick to the lake/pond.

I have to research it but ya got me thinking one of those old hand pumps. I just want coffee but Mrs. wants easy garden watering.

Really cool thought.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It has never occurred to me to use the pond water for the veggie garden. Would have to be a whole lot, more better then city/treated water.

Thanks GN.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
when paring batteries,match is critical.
our campground runs a 20kw diesel generator,an inverter and 3 banks of 6 volt batteries series wired making 24 volts.
if any one of the batteries gets weak,it pulls the entire system down,forcing generator to cycle frequently.
2 volts difference between best and worst battery is enough to cause problems.

if running a 12 volt system,and choosing to run 12 volts in series circuits,i reccomend no more than 100 amp cranking power difference.

keeping battery type and amperage matched will make the system much more efficient.