Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Yesterday afternoon a neighbor up the road came down and offered me a craftsman radial arm saw, said he needed it gone and would help me load it, if I keep getting free stuff I’m going to need more space. I am tempted to build something for all my wood working tools, keeping everything in the shop means moving something every time I need to do something with wood.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
I've been nibblin' away at this cylinder head. 10 thou at a time and it ain't all that bad. I get into a zone I call being "One with the Machine" and the time just flies by. What I have to be real careful of is getting zoned out and cutting too far!

But I do have some issues to still work out.

View attachment 104732

One is it's missing a slot. I couldn't reach it! The Y axis bottomed out before I could get there. I'm gonna have to clean all the aluminum snow off the mill and remount the mill vise to get that one.

At .140 wide the fins are too thick too.

View attachment 104733

The fins on that head in the background are .090. The cast fins on the cylinder are only .050. So I'm calling this just a rough cut. It still needs some trimming.

Something I figured out along the way is the .155 endmill I used is way too long. It has a 1' reach and I only need a half! I'll betcha a shorter cutter would've got me a lot closer to the .030 cuts Tony was talking about ...

But so far so good. I'm learning.
Machining idea, try making a Hemi head and go one step further one with a domed piston and not like those new Chrysler Hemi
engines that are stamped with the logo "HEMI" which are a joke. I had a '67 Plymouth Hemi and it was a real one. The pistons
were domed and it was a solid-lifter engine if you did that on a two-stroke it would be a FIRST! :D

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Yesterday afternoon a neighbor up the road came down and offered me a craftsman radial arm saw, said he needed it gone and would help me load it, if I keep getting free stuff I’m going to need more space. I am tempted to build something for all my wood working tools, keeping everything in the shop means moving something every time I need to do something with wood.
Greg, you need to build a new workshop! :rolleyes: I have the room here but no $$$ to build one! :( I should play the lottery I guess
but with my luck I'd probably end up empty-handed and out of the $$$ to have!:eek:

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Got a trailer but with all of the wind and rain won't tow it. Working on putting disc brakes on the bike and it has changed a lot
since last year. I just got a neat muffler in for it and need to get some flex tubing on the header pipe to get it down low.
One addition I found really works good on a chain tensioner is the, ManicMechanic Tensioner
I removed the sprocket and replaced it with a good bearing nylon roller. Mikuni VM22 carb is the only way to go on a
Predator 212cc just don't get crazy and take-off at full throttle I suspect that the bike would ride you on the road if it
hooks up like a 750cc Kawasaki! The bike is a good transportation bike and I am hoping the muffler I got in quiets it
down better than the short header muffler which I thing is fairly loud. The Mikuni turned the engine into a real responsive
bike and I wouldn't think of running full throttle on it since there is no governor on the engine. I'd love to mess with the
79cc PhatMotor bike to see what can be done with one. That bike is a "turnkey" bike which is cheaper than a build bike
for putting on the road.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Keep the faith. I just received a set of brass horn holders from Australia that I ordered March 17. I think they came by ship instead of air.

Steve.
Fired up the little 49cc and put some miles on so I could change the oil and keep it limbered up. I was temped to sell it
but when I need parts for the 212cc it comes in handy. The 49cc is quiet getting around town but the 212cc even with
the stock muffler I put on draws attention. I pulled the header and muffler just to see if I could quiet it down but I think
the engine and CVT is fairly noisy. I would consider a 125cc Lifan if the engine is quieter and it might be a good choice
since it has a transmission that probably is quieter. I got a trailer in a few weeks ago and it is sitting around, I am not
going to pull it while the wind is really bad this Spring. I know the 212cc won't have any problems pulling it but I don't
trust the flatland wind gusts here. FYI, the ManicMechanic chain idler works real good or better when I replaced the
sprocket with a nylon bearing roller. The unit is expensive but is flawless in installation and is positioned where it should
be. Those chain tensioners are a blackhole for money and the ManicMechnic unit is more functional and not as hideous
looking as most of them.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Cvt is good when it’s brand new but when you run it for a while it does get noisy. Keep the jackshaft and run a clutch instead...

Cheaper than a 125 swap too.. l I like an automatic motorcycle... ride with one hand most the time
The drive clutch will get dry from lack of graphite on the plate and there is noise from the pins on it. Several
fellas have tested the clutch drives versus the CVT on minibikes and the drive clutches will get so hot that
become orange in color when pushed on steep grades and can't pull the grades when they heat up because
of slippage. The CVT tested against them will go right up the same grade with no problems. They've been
tested on YouTube against each other in several videos.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
The drive clutch will get dry from lack of graphite on the plate and there is noise from the pins on it. Several
fellas have tested the clutch drives versus the CVT on minibikes and the drive clutches will get so hot that
become orange in color when pushed on steep grades and can't pull the grades when they heat up because
of slippage. The CVT tested against them will go right up the same grade with no problems. They've been
tested on YouTube against each other in several videos.
Yes, a properly setup cvt will smoke an improperly setup clutch in any comparison.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
I know they are pricey EZL, but the EZM transmission is second only to the Sportsman Flyer, Bully clutch/ reduction drive. The former is a improved Whizzer transmission. But you with your 212cc are a candidate for a https://3dmotorsport.net/collections/manual-clutches
Tom
Web site indicates a transfer of ownership. And life goes on.
I'd bet a 212cc will burn up the clutches in a lot of city driving and in the hills. The way to go with the 79cc and they are
better than the original kit parts sent for the 79cc bike kits. The product was tested on YouTube and works good but
the CVT was found to be a better choice on the Minibikes a real good way to go with the 79cc engine on a bike.
I haven't had any problem with my CVT on the 212cc and I've got several thousand miles on it. I replaced the original
belt on it since I noticed it was stretching and went with a 669 from GoPowerSports and the quality between the
two belts is very obvious. I've heard fellas breaking the backplate on the CVT and maybe some of them came out
with cheap quality metal? Several factors could also cause that like, abusive acceleration, miss-alignment and a
bike frame that flexes upon torque from that engine. The 212cc is putting out more than twice as much HP versus
the 79cc and the torque is twice as much at 2500 rpm for each. The Stage1 kit will again boost the power of the
engine then again removing the governor plus adding a Mikuni carburetor plus a header and then you know what
can be done with the engine. There are many more mods that can be put on that engine and they can compromise
a bike's frame. The engine with a history of "breaking things" on a bike if not babied. :-||

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I'm suspecting a Covid problem but the seller i bought a 6 degree end mill from seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Never shipped. No response. With 100% positive feedback it's not likely he's a rip-off artist. I hate to kick anybody when they're down but I got a refund from E-Bay today. I'd rather have the cutter, but it is what it is ....

So now I'm looking and not finding. Naturally.

I'm thinking this MAY be a 6 degree. The listing says 3, but is that just one side or both sides together?

Who knows?