Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I spent some quality time this morning making 4 washers to go between the hub bearings and the frame mounts. They're the same 7/8ths dia as the bearings so I gave 'em an .005 clearance cut to avoid interference with the outer races. I dunno why. Smaller washers would have worked just fine.

DSCF0760.JPG

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Hey Fog sorry we all kinda hijacked your thread but there was no ill intent, a lot of the members here really enjoy building things and making parts. All I have in my shop is welders, ( a stick, mig and a 110v flux core) a torch set, a metal chop saw and a hydraulic press, a drill press, bench grinder, and a hand held grinder. I can make a lot of stuff if it needs bending, welding or grinding!

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I just built this tool cart work table from scrap that was taking up space. It has most stuff needed for bike size fab within reach. I was having this problem where every time I worked on stuff, I had to spend an hour or more just moving and setting up tools. The idea with this cart is to have just what is needed for 95% of stuff I will do at home, within at most 10 seconds of reach.

Table 3/4” plywood 48x22 probably gonna cut it down to 20”. 1.25Dia handles front and back. (Front one hanging on rear handle in first pic). Welder controls at back, wire door opens to side. Drawers with bagged and special parts forward of that. 26” Kennedy box on right. Reorganized the toolbox from machinist oriented to fab oriented; took a lot of old machined parts out of it and gained space for a drawer full of inch high strength and stainless hardware. 3 sizes mostly so building something up can go smoothly and without looking for parts which as you all know ALWAYS takes forever. Maintained the box, greased the old slides, straightened the lid. Reduced two drawers of measuring tools to one keeping my .007” Fowled-er scribing caliper on top for fab. I think an automotive intermediate box would be a good replacement for the kennedy. I may do that if the Kennedy moves into a shop again. The lid stays up under the table with two small magnets. The entire cart sort of fifth wheels on a crappy little ~19” rollaway cabinet.

All the wheels are loaded at well over their rated capacity, even got some serious camber in the back so I moved some heft to the front. It really needs to get some stronger wheels, and hang onto a real toolbox :D but for now hasn’t cost me a dime, just 5 hours of my life I probably woulda spent a few times over just moving and looking for tools. It’s gonna get outlets soon, switched ones too. I just wanna plug in two plugs and go do my thing outside, then bring it all back in real quick all setup for the next window of time to work on stuff. Might even sink a wireless charger into the table but for now have that one at my bedside, and the work table gets the iPad brick to supercharge a 3ah phone 50% in under 45 min. Not really good to have the phone exposed to mechanical work so I may figure a charging tray under the table. Overall I am happy with how it turned out.

Have a little box of inserts, just need a machine now....

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Great stuff guys & I followed easily to the tavern, but I also left a tag post to let others know for sure where to follow this discourse.

Tom's right about the lathe Norm has, Atlas, though they be marked Sears or Montgomery Ward's. Logan also was marketed for a while through Ward's. I've not seen a Logan with the Sear's logo, but I'd not be surprised at finding out they offered them at some point. I've owned a couple lathes (one a 1950's Sear's Atlas & another a 1950's era Ward's Logan) of both origins and found them quite comparable, quality wise, in similar configurations.

I owned a 14" Atlas at one time and it was an accurate little devil for an inexpensive tool. Self centering 3 jaw, 4 jaw & face plate with dogs and a nice assortment of screw gears. It also had a taper attachment & center support. Catalog sales was the early internet for do it yourself guys. My prototype shop in Houston had a large variety of high end CNC equipment etc. & Tom I too miss the convenience of a truly well equipped and staffed shop. Even my after retirement shop had nice lathe and knee mill equipment, I have a retired neighbor that has a great 34" that I have access to, but seldom intrude on his generosity, but that puppy can hunt! Extremely accurate, and no table top machine, this is heavy, floor mounted & shimmed to perfect level & installed on 10" concrete slab. He's really maintained it properly and it's never been exposed to welding or grinding environments. If it ever comes up for sale I'll be all over it.

I've actually enjoyed the time consuming and thought provoking fabrication utilizing just basic hand tools for fabrication of various parts from scratch and re-purposed alterations of others, yet some things just demand real machine tools.

I like vintage tools as well as or more than vintage bikes. With good tools I can always build more tools and also bikes.

Rick C.

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
[QUOTE="Greg58, post: 674778, member: 30869"
]Hey Fog sorry we all kinda hijacked your thread but there was no ill intent, a lot of the members here really enjoy building things and making parts. [/QUOTE]

It's ll good with me guys. By definition I can't be hijacked cuz I don't care where the conversation goes!

It would seem we all have more in common that just bicycles. I'll bet there's a lotta motorcycle guys here too.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Many of us don't mind detours of all types in threads we've started yet others like to stay focused and on direct topic. We try to oblige & accept as we go. The moderators it seems are accepting of threads that are somewhat eclectic and conversation driven rather than topic driven. I feel it can build a community spirit to be able to go on a side track for a bit, if the originator of the thread is of like mind, which you seem to be. Thanks.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Many of us don't mind detours of all types in threads we've started yet others like to stay focused and on direct topic. We try to oblige & accept as we go. The moderators it seems are accepting of threads that are somewhat eclectic and conversation driven rather than topic driven. I feel it can build a community spirit to be able to go on a side track for a bit, if the originator of the thread is of like mind, which you seem to be. Thanks.

Rick C.
Right as usual Rick, the Moderators do not seem to mind a meandering thread. Case in point Indian Tadpole. As I recall Steve hijacked Silver Bear's thread and it goes places I would never think to go and love it.
Besides this Tavern thread might get some legs.
The Practical Machinist forum has a show your shop section.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/
Tom from Rubicon

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Nice thread fellas! I still have my vintage tinsmith tools I used for nearly 30 years which allows me to make tanks, guards, etc. After I packed in the business spent 7 or years working for a friend in his machine shop doing mostly fabrication to start and then lathe and milling machine work. When it was time to call it quits I thought about accumulating the different machines and tools to0 be able to do it all, but decided against it.

Been able to get most Like Indian, I enjoy trying to get the job done with what I have. Still have the machine shop 10 minutes away, but the bike has been holding up well and life has kinda gotten in the way of playtime.

It's always great to watch the back and forth here. You fellas are a great group.

Dan

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Uncle Arnie Peterson bought a skiff at auction with this engine on it. He was afraid of deep water and the skiff was sold. But nobody in our section of Wisconsin would touch an old obsolete type outboard engine he threw it in his tobacco shed for years. Between mice using the tank as a toilet and galvanic action the gas tank is a no go.
The engine has really good compression. I would be very happy to bring a piece of early 20th century back to life.
Tom from Rubicon

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'll just jump into this thread & repost from the other....

Here's my old lathe & mini mill that I bought from a friend when his father died... (this is what they looked like the day I brought them home).
They both needed a little cleaning up, but they both still work great & I also have several boxes of bits, replacement parts, & specialty tools for them for making special parts.

I also somehow also uploaded a picture of one of my old VW's... (it's such a cool picture that I'm gonna leave it here). (^)

IMG_9618.JPG
IMG_9619.JPG
n3.JPG

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
[QUOTE="Greg58, post: 674778, member: 30869"
]Hey Fog sorry we all kinda hijacked your thread but there was no ill intent, a lot of the members here really enjoy building things and making parts.
It's ll good with me guys. By definition I can't be hijacked cuz I don't care where the conversation goes!

It would seem we all have more in common that just bicycles. I'll bet there's a lotta motorcycle guys here too.[/QUOTE]
You’re right, I had three motorcycles when I joined in 2011, mine were all dirt bike. My son and I did a lot of off road riding, I got too old to ride at the most challenging expert trails so I sold mine.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Lived once in a house that came with a Bridgeport in the garage. Mill was tits, could hold tenths, ways spotless; perfect condition. The whole time I lived there I only machined a single tiny part.

IMO Home delivery is the modern easier alternative. I can draw a print and rfq online from the comfort of my couch for a fraction of the price, effort, and commitment of having large heavy tools at home. In fact the last time I did so I ordered more and sold out in two days, paying for my parts and even making a small profit without trying too hard.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Lived once in a house that came with a Bridgeport in the garage. Mill was tits, could hold tenths, ways spotless; perfect condition. The whole time I lived there I only machined a single tiny part.

IMO Home delivery is the modern easier alternative. I can draw a print and rfq online from the comfort of my couch for a fraction of the price, effort, and commitment of having large heavy tools at home. In fact the last time I did so I ordered more and sold out in two days, paying for my parts and even making a small profit without trying too hard.
My kinda' house Tony I'd sure rather have the Bridgeport than a swiming pool....

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's a 1965 Type-3 'Notchback'... It has 17" rims & a airbag beam in front
Norm I've noted your devotion to VW's in past posts & photos & enjoy seeing the cars. Your Notchback is a really nice one; they trim out really well & are rather unique. I rarely see them at shows and never on the streets; which is strange because western Oklahoma is a really great area for pickers and restoration work. Dry climate and salt is seldom used on our roadways metal is spared from all but surface oxidation. Perhaps the pickers hauled all the Notchback VW's out to the west coast? At any rate I love yours.

Your lathe has a lot of parts to make left in it....

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nice thread fellas! I still have my vintage tinsmith tools I used for nearly 30 years which allows me to make tanks, guards, etc. After I packed in the business spent 7 or years working for a friend in his machine shop doing mostly fabrication to start and then lathe and milling machine work. When it was time to call it quits I thought about accumulating the different machines and tools to0 be able to do it all, but decided against it.

Been able to get most Like Indian, I enjoy trying to get the job done with what I have. Still have the machine shop 10 minutes away, but the bike has been holding up well and life has kinda gotten in the way of playtime.

It's always great to watch the back and forth here. You fellas are a great group.

Dan
Nice to see your post Dan. I've been a fan for a long time. You along with Steve (Fast Eddie) & Silverbear were kinda' my three musketeers of moto-bike construction and discourse when I first started posting to the forum, so thanks for that.

Those of us who made a living building stuff for others now get a chance to build what we like and using our developed skillsets we can utilize hand tools or machine tools to fabricate stuff that works & looks the part, whatever that might be. I confess to just buying many of my components & altering to suit my purpose, rather than machining billet and bar for some of my bikes, but not all.

Good tools can be used to make other tools, not just produce materials for consumption and that may be why vintage tools of all types strike a chord in our hearts. They represent not only nations history but our progress as a people and evoke thought's of our predecessors laboring over bits of metal in shops nation wide fabricating products for sure, but also building our future. Yep I rather like our tools and shops.

Tom that outboard needs to come to life. It's a treasure!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma

It would seem we all have more in common that just bicycles. I'll bet there's a lotta motorcycle guys here too.
You’re right, I had three motorcycles when I joined in 2011, mine were all dirt bike. My son and I did a lot of off road riding, I got too old to ride at the most challenging expert trails so I sold mine.[/QUOTE]

Greg when we realize that we all have much in common real progress, in many areas of life, can result. I too started downsizing my projects a couple of years ago and decided that I'd concentrate on bicycle based designs as my creative outlet for motoring. It seems a pretty decent decision to this point.

I had to duck into the cellar again last evening, dang long track super cells, keep edging (thankfully missing) our area communities, long night however, but plan a nap after lunch.

Rick C.