79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
The main difference is the pz19 is made for four strokes, the phbg is for two strokes. I'll have to make mixture adjustments to compensate for that. Does your pz19 just bolt right onto the engine, or does it need a specific intake? If it needs an intake to match it, I'll have to have one made. At that point, I'd rather just use either a clamp on carb with the intake I already have, or modify an intake to bolt onto my engine with a spigot mount carb.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Because of the angle of my engine, I have to use the diy kit. However, I don't have a welder, which is why I either need a carb that will bolt right on or a clamp on/spigot mount carb. I can use heater hose for the spigot mount carb, and if it's for a two stroke, then I'll just adjust the fuel settings until my engine runs well.

Forbidden Tuna

Sep 3, 2019
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Because of the angle of my engine, I have to use the diy kit. However, I don't have a welder, which is why I either need a carb that will bolt right on or a clamp on/spigot mount carb. I can use heater hose for the spigot mount carb, and if it's for a two stroke, then I'll just adjust the fuel settings until my engine runs well.
They might weld it up for you, they're pretty good about requests. Maybe send a picture of how your engine is oriented now and they could get it close. I just tack welded my diy kit and then sealed with standard JB weld.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Today I' drilled the jet with a #56 .047" drill . Couldn't find a #57 drill. Likely have one if I can find it in my fifty years working as a Tool and Die Maker collection. So the jet orfice went from .039" ID to .047" ID, pretty big jump in size, but the .047" drill is next size up I could find find. After reassembling the carb I went for another test run today. Low end grunt is there.
Upper end grunt is there, on the flat and down slope briskly. Will climb a 10 degree slope at 1/4 throttle and no more. Slow but steady.
Back at the shop still running. Up on center stand. Cranked the wick steadily up to 3/4 throttle roaring.
Up to WOT and the engine began to falter and continued that way. Ran it long enough to get a proper plug reading Thurs..

At which time I will change out the POS fuel filter. I think I have sorted out my F'n flow restriction. Case in point.
Every time I drain the float bowl to work on the carb. The line from tank to carb does not drain freely as it should.
Last flow restriction I would have thought of. But it does happen. Rain coming in Thurs. afternoon.
Time enough for another run with a free flow fuel filter.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I have a 1/4" glass filter with a superfine plastic mesh. My gas tank attachment is a 1/4" elbow swivel barb, to clear my engine and ensure a clean line with no kinks. I have a petcock between the filter and the carb, where the line transitions from the 1/4" to the 3/16". No debris is causing a leak or a jam in that petcock. Yes, I used a clamp on the 1/4" line to secure it to the petcock. Before I did that, it leaked badly. I've not seen any sediment in that filter either. I expect to eventually cause of a dirty gascan or rusting tank.

However, I think that once I get the new wheels built, I'm going to start on my OCC stingray build, and put the 79cc on hold for a while. That bike will have a Harley street glide fairing on it, complete with a low wattage bluetooth 2 channel stereo system, gps speedometer, and a tach. My 178cc is an electric start, so I can run these things no problem. I do need new wheels for it though, so if anyone can help me source a 150mm hub, that'd be incredibly helpful.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have a 1/4" glass filter with a superfine plastic mesh. My gas tank attachment is a 1/4" elbow swivel barb, to clear my engine and ensure a clean line with no kinks. I have a petcock between the filter and the carb, where the line transitions from the 1/4" to the 3/16". No debris is causing a leak or a jam in that petcock. Yes, I used a clamp on the 1/4" line to secure it to the petcock. Before I did that, it leaked badly. I've not seen any sediment in that filter either. I expect to eventually cause of a dirty gascan or rusting tank.

However, I think that once I get the new wheels built, I'm going to start on my OCC stingray build, and put the 79cc on hold for a while. That bike will have a Harley street glide fairing on it, complete with a low wattage bluetooth 2 channel stereo system, gps speedometer, and a tach. My 178cc is an electric start, so I can run these things no problem. I do need new wheels for it though, so if anyone can help me source a 150mm hub, that'd be incredibly helpful.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
First thing this mourning I went to Ace and bought a hi flow/ capacity gas filter. Back home, plumbed it in and opened the petcock. Fuel system did not fill rapidly.

More like a drool.

Which likely is the reason for all the lean carb conditions.

Drained the two gallon tank. A time consuming chore. Unscrewed the petcock, the fuel screen was surrounded by tap threading chips. Went to NAPA and bought a replacement petcock which had that same intake screen. Installed it, and am getting the same low flow?

Took Curt’s recommendation and ordered a B&S cock with sediment bowl. It will take a bit of work to fit it in.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-690612-Sediment-Assembly/dp/B0038U3JD4

Should arrive Saturday.

Tom

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
First thing this mourning I went to Ace and bought a hi flow/ capacity gas filter. Back home, plumbed it in and opened the petcock. Fuel system did not fill rapidly.

More like a drool.

Which likely is the reason for all the lean carb conditions.

Drained the two gallon tank. A time consuming chore. Unscrewed the petcock, the fuel screen was surrounded by tap threading chips. Went to NAPA and bought a replacement petcock which had that same intake screen. Installed it, and am getting the same low flow?

Took Curt’s recommendation and ordered a B&S cock with sediment bowl. It will take a bit of work to fit it in.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-690612-Sediment-Assembly/dp/B0038U3JD4

Should arrive Saturday.

Tom
I don't use a fuel screen, that's what the filter's for. If your fuel screen is causing problems, just delete it. My fuel system has no problems now, other than proper AFR.

My filter:

It's no longer available, but it's a good starting point for similar filters.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got to thinking. What else would impede fuel flow? Gas cap vents qualify often. The fuel tank vent on this machine is a complicated affair. A brass tube terminating with a fitting with a fine brass screen reaching within a fraction of an inch of the bottom of the tank.
The design does a good job of keeping gas from surging out of the vent. Anyway, I soaked that screen in Sea Foam for a couple hours. Looks better. Waiting on a B&S sediment bowl. Did some measuring from the gas tank drain hole.
May have to plumb in a little dog leg to clear the cylinder head.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I have one on the Indian tri car. I cut out a circle of sheet metal an 1" across and folded it over in the middle. Slid it over the crummy little insult of a tab they put on it for a handle and hammered it closed. Then I spot welded it on either side of the original handle. Now it can be opened and closed.

Steve.