79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Took the sediment bowl out to the shop after brekky today. Trying to figure out why the valve needle was so stiff.
Best guess, die cast internal thread was undersize.
Six inch spanner for leverage and some sixty year old 3-in-1 oil (no expiration date) applied. Turning the needle back and forth until it was almost manageable by hand. A scrap piece of Teak is being fashioned into a turning knob.

One of the sediment bowls Curt referenced this mourning will arrive Monday.
One of the bowls will end up on the Huffy Davidson. Life is good. For now.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
LOL, all worked out in the end, besides Teak is kool knob, never knew there was s many different ones. Local Farm store has them also, but to big and clubby........Curt
True about tractor sediment bowls. The one on my Ford NAA 1953 Jubilee is big by comparison. Speaking of Jube's. A guy, few miles south of me I saw has a Jube with a Cyclone pre-filter I have long desired. Day I seen um, he was mowing a ditch and did not have a happy face. Township does the ditches. I only went his way that Sunday, cuz he had a nice looking chicken tractor on pasture.
Teak knob will be cool.
I was looking for some burled Walnut that usually I can find here somewhere.
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Woody knob got a Lundmark paste wax treatment. Nice. Valve still is difficult to shut. No matter, we got gas.

Things to remember; jet orfice ID .047, needle in center slot. Two prime pulls, ignition on, choke on, and pull. Almost.
Open choke, pull, and we have ignition. Strong idle. Take off really didn't need a pedal. On the road, after warm up goes like a bat out of **** unloaded. On an incline 1/4th throttle or nothing. Down slope 1/2 throttle was strong, WOT is ineffectual.
Spark plug center electrode was clean. Ground electrode was sooty.

Dropping the needle to top slot first thing for the next go on Wednesday.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Needle in top slot run was similar to middle slot. 1/4 throttle the engine wants to go regardless of Grade. Opening throttle to WOT, it bogs and then surges. Sort of wants to accelerate. After mowing I set the needle clip in the second from top notch and another test run. Similar results. WOT up grade would surge and stall repeatedly.
Down grade and I was flying and had not run out of throttle. To me, it seems like the carb starves/bog ant then surges with replenished gas. Weird! Still running the .047" jet. Tempted start again with a .031" jet, now that I have no fuel flow restrictions. Likely no new developments until after the holiday. Prepping for a trip to Minneapolis.
Tom

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Needle in top slot run was similar to middle slot. 1/4 throttle the engine wants to go regardless of Grade. Opening throttle to WOT, it bogs and then surges. Sort of wants to accelerate. After mowing I set the needle clip in the second from top notch and another test run. Similar results. WOT up grade would surge and stall repeatedly.
Down grade and I was flying and had not run out of throttle. To me, it seems like the carb starves/bog ant then surges with replenished gas. Weird! Still running the .047" jet. Tempted start again with a .031" jet, now that I have no fuel flow restrictions. Likely no new developments until after the holiday. Prepping for a trip to Minneapolis.
Tom
Bogging and stalling uphill would suggest too much fuel. Try a .040 jet first, see what that does. Sometimes, smaller adjustments get you further than larger ones.