79cc Sportsman Flyer build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Pat posted some photos of a 250cc Bonneville Flyer campaign. All photos from the left side. Must be some secret chit going on the right side. That said, the left side photo shows two tubes from the engine. Big one exiting the oil fillt plug and going to the top of the custom catch can. A smaller one returning to the crankcase. Without a right side photo, hard to prove but expect is a pressure release vent. The return line to the crankcase? Why didn't i think of that?
Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
October 9, 2020.
Early Fall day. finished storing first cord of firewood. Still upper 70's and 15mph SW wind. Rolled the Flyer out about 4:30PM. Going into a head wind I was lucky to sustain 20mph WOT. All other points of wind cruised at 35mph comfortably.
After this a helmet and Brookes leather jacket is likely.
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Fall is absolutely the best time of year for me. Just watched a video from a fellow who is a van dweller here in British Columbia, Canada who is returning from Ontario, Canada. The granite rocks and the leaves in the changing brings back so many memories.

Then the temperature drops to -30F and the snow hits and the dream fades and the nightmare begins.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
-30F and the snow hits and the dream fades and the nightmare begins.
In the Pacific NW? Yer sheeting me Steve, Real Snow Bird showed up today.
I was going take a ride today, Fore noon chores lasted until 3PM tidying up trash from first cord of wood, and I was working in a T-shirt. And that is when the Junco showed up, along with a 10 degree drop in temp. Tank is half full, got to adjust.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ok Tom birds, specifically Mocking birds. Every Fall I've some plants that put on a copious quantity of berries about half the size of an English pea and when ripe they are a deep purple, almost black. That's when pairs of Mocking birds show up to gorge on them. This year there were probably thirty plus birds & they don't miss a ripe berry. I have no idea what this plant is, but only Mocking birds show up to feed. They get drunk or high and they stagger on my patio when they walk and some fall over on their side. They recover after a time and fly off to feed some more. The berries also give them the purple squirts that stain my rocks and anything else it gets on. Still it's funny and interesting to me.

Anyone else see this before? I'm going to attempt to classify the plant as well.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Life in Ontario and New Hampshire and up state New York, Tom. The reason I live in my corner of British Columbia. We are fortunate because parts of B.C. get unreal amounts of snow. It has snowed already on the ski resort at Grouse Mountain about 30 miles North of us.

Here it's all about elevation and how far North you live. In a couple of weeks we will have to put the banana palm away for the winter along with the other plants. It's 53F at 8:30pm and it was 62F today. Forecast is for a wet and snowy winter and no grey headed snow birds winging their way South since the border is closed.

However there are reports that Northern snow birds are moving West to British Columbia from across Canada for the winter and all available camp ground nesting areas are full to capacity.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Rick, with the plant question Steve, the other Tom; but the Elderberry is the closest look and description that I've found after you pointed me in the direction. The plant I have is perennial and does not produce a trunk as would a tree or hardy bush las would a plum or cherry. It's more like a Sunflower stalk in strength. If the dang Mockingbirds would just let them mature a bit longer I'd have photos as is I'll snap a shot and post.

It's a bucket list question at this point! My mother started these & it's a nice looking plant that grows to a height of close to 6 feet, if left untended.

Tom my back yard is a bird magnet year after year. As well as small mammals & the variety never ceases to surprise and entertain me. I don't use pesticides so only feed during harsh Winter conditions. The birds seem to thrive using this model as do bees and the Hummingbirds in season.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Plant ID is poke weed & Steve it resembles the Elderberry, but no related. It's common around here and we used it for salad and cooked greens as a kid I gathered it in the Spring new plants and guess I never realized what it grows into. The berries are poisonous to birds and man, but quite a few birds really feed on them and they are intoxicating. Robins, dove, mockingbirds, Wood peckers and Blue birds just to name a few. Since Mockingbirds are really aggressive & quick I'm sure they dominate feeding on the berries. Robins are also aggressive feeders but their being migratory birds for the most part aren't here in great numbers when the berries ripen or the fights would be on. Drunken birds & people seem similar in this regard.

I'll take this one out of the bucket.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ok Tom the birds picked all the ripe berries yesterday I'd think there are still some green ones you will spot on the right side of the frame. The yellow seed pods shown are over a day since being stripped of berries. The pods are a deep red for only a few hours before turning yellow. I haven't seen a bird all day go into the plants. So I'd say the frenzy is over. I was prepared to photograph any drunken birds but didn't see any. I think there were too many birds feeding this year for any single birds to get snockered. One year ther was only a couple of birds at a time and they got blasted!

Googles got all the info on birds eating Polk weed or Elderberry.

Rick C.

polk weed 2.jpg

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi, Rick,
It was late and the old age slippage has started so names run together on occasion. Sorry for the confusion. I used to see poke weed in Southern Ontario where I lived many years ago. Never knew what it was but it was one of the plants we were told never to touch as kids.

Elderberries make a mighty fine wine if done properly. If not done properly a glass of it is closely akin to trying to shove a wet noodle up a Bob Cat's backside in a phone booth. Your not going to enjoy it but it can be done.

Our back yard is like a forest park trees 60' to a 80' feet tall. Here is a list of birds we see. It doesn't include the Barred Owls we have nesting as well. We have a large Holly Tree as well and the birds do eat the berries but it more survival food.

And then there are the shore birds that stop along the shore here on their way North or South or are here all year.

Also Bald Eagles all year around.

Found some photos of the back yard and the gold fish pond in the front courtyard both spring and late summer. We get a lot of lily pad flowers. The plant with the red leaves is a banana palm. Our big palm tree died from old age a couple of years ago.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Steve, Thanks for the tour. I dare not let Mona see what you have nice as it is. It's orderly and refined. I have always embraced nature in it's chaos. It has it's repercussions. A burr oak that in 2006, the trunk would hardly make a baseball bat needs felling, and the trunk is 16" across at the base. The proximity to a bird feeder has accelerated tree growth.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I got Tom & Pete mixed in a post recently no harm ever in my book.

Yard is fantastic as Tom stated. I rode along side a Bald Eagle for a couple of miles early this Summer he stayed about thirty yards out and just a bit higher than the utility poles and paced my hybrid at around thirty mph. The sound of the 2cycle didn't seem to bother him, but I cut it off on a long downhill grade and went to the hub motor. This one was probably just trading location to another large lake in order to fish some different water. I'd not call them common here but they are here every year. I really enjoyed his flight together with my ride. I would have loved a video of this but no he would have waited for me to set up.

I like perennials of various types 4 o'clock, trumpet vine, jasmine, Virginia creeper, day lilly & canon are in my mix and my birds do well with the combination of insects attracted, seeds and berries these attract and provide. Pesticide free....birds got to eat and bees have to provide.

I provide some welfare seeds as needed and water when it's really dry. These are wild life not spoiled pets.

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy